Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 Stroke privateer  (Read 11902 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
2 Stroke privateer
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Here is a paragraph out of the latest Dirt Rider Downunder.
It brought a smile to my face.
This was the first round of the Aussie Nationals MX2 class.

Darryll King (YZ250)must be sick of people talking about his age,as that was all you heard through the commentary when his name was mentioned.
After race one I thought that this is not the same guy I saw race at the Auckland Champs, with his performance looking average in comparison.
I caught up with him after the race in his little pop-up tent,all on his own,with his bike stripped down and discovered it was a faulty power valve that was to blame for the lacklustre ride.
Once sorted, it was back to the Darryll we're used to seeing,attacking at the pointy end of the field and taking second place in the final moto.
The irony wasn't lost on the crowds watching him work on his own bike between races, as Darryll was pitted next to the CDR Race Team(Yamaha Factory backed 250F) whom he used to ride for and has taken titles with.
Yet even though he's now in his pop-up tent with no mechanic and working on his own bike he's still dominating.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Stroke privateer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
Forgot.
Here's a picture of Darryll earlier in the year.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »
Yeah, How good is it. I will be heading to the fourth round of the nationals in Toowoomba next week and I will be cheering him on. Great to see. Man didnt know he was doing it with no mechanic. If he needs a hand I will be the first one to put up my hand. Hopefully will see a few more smokers out there for the Toowoomba national. Cant wait. Go Darryl !!!!!!!!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »
australia is the best... have hot chicks, they talk cool, and have cool tracks, i want to move there!!!!

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:33 AM »
Go Darryl !!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
There was a Aussie guy featured awhile back on the home page thats was to racing a smoker in the Aussie series.
On a RM.
Any of you Aussie guys know how he is getting on ?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Yay,cheer him on for the Canadian contingent  8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
There was a Aussie guy featured awhile back on the home page thats was to racing a smoker in the Aussie series.
On a RM.

Yeah that was Kim Ashkenazi. He hasnt ridden a round yet which is very unfortunate cos I was looking for him to do great things. He was a victim of circumstance and the way the entries were set up, it was first in best dressed and unfortunately he wasn't in the first entries received and has been a reserve rider. This has caused much conjecture, and many arguments resulted arguing that there should be timed qualifying for all entered and then the top 40 qualifiers then race. He was set to race the third round of the nationals but the round wasn't run due to the tragic accident that occured in practice. He should be racing in the fourth round next weekend and I expect to see him up the front. Go "Ashcan" !!!!!!!

You DECIDE !!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
On a RM.

Yeah that was Kim Ashkenazi. He hasnt ridden a round yet which is very unfortunate cos I was looking for him to do great things. He was a victim of circumstance and the way the entries were set up, it was first in best dressed and unfortunately he wasn't in the first entries received and has been a reserve rider. This has caused much conjecture, and many arguments resulted arguing that there should be timed qualifying for all entered and then the top 40 qualifiers then race. He was set to race the third round of the nationals but the round wasn't run due to the tragic accident that occured in practice. He should be racing in the fourth round next weekend and I expect to see him up the front. Go "Ashcan" !!!!!!!
Wasnt Cam Taylor riding an RM 250 aswell? according to ADB he was, didnt say how he went but.
Good to see DK out there flyin the flag for the 2 strokes, hes a legend. ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:48:04 AM by scotty dog »
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »
Yeah Cam Taylor was out there on a two stroke, but not on an RM. He was riding a YZ 250 also, and did well in a few motos. He finished as high as 5th in one moto, but has had a few other bad results and DNF's. I dont think Cam is riding all the rounds either, only the southern rounds.

You DECIDE !!

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:55:12 AM »
I'm surprised there aren't more 250 2 stroke riders in the 250 class. Maybe it'll take a lil bit to catch on.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »
The lap times of the 2t and 4stroke bikes is about the same, that's why they let them run together.
Don't get me wrong i'm a 2t fan through and through but the 2stroke 250 doesn't have the massive advantage over 250f's that some of you seem to think. Often the lites bikes are lapping faster than the 450's.
It's not necessarily about sheer HP it's about delivery. 

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Well said. I think riders just need to get used to 2-strokes again. After riding 4s for so long you need to get that throttle and clutch hand trained again

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 01:58:44 AM »
Well said. I think riders just need to get used to 2-strokes again. After riding 4s for so long you need to get that throttle and clutch hand trained again
Yep, spot on. i believe the necessary skill level to go fast dropped with the rise of the 4strokes.
I've ridden a few late model 250f's and yeah fast and smooth and easy to put down consistent laps, but they boring as hell compared to a 250 2t and for me it's all about the fun factor.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 03:47:18 AM »
The lap times of the 2t and 4stroke bikes is about the same, that's why they let them run together.
Don't get me wrong i'm a 2t fan through and through but the 2stroke 250 doesn't have the massive advantage over 250f's that some of you seem to think. Often the lites bikes are lapping faster than the 450's.
It's not necessarily about sheer HP it's about delivery. 
I agree with all that BUT, on the weekend at our club day on of the vets who races a rm 250 and is usually a top 5 finisher fronted up on a early 90's kx500 and absolutley abliterated every 450 out there, the track is axle deep whooped out sand and flat out HP won on the day.
It was one of those moments where all the juinors lined the fences going, "who is he, and WTF is that bike he's riding"