Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: How to adjust suspension on a 04 YZ250?? *Update*  (Read 15490 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: How to adjust suspension on a 04 YZ250??
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure that article just covers static and race sag Ford.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: How to adjust suspension on a 04 YZ250??
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
My apologies if clicker settings are covered in Coops links but I didn't look.Living in the boonies means I can ride from my back door-it also means I can't get high speed.Anyhoo,once you set the sag it's critical you set the clickers properly.I assume you have an owners manual?Someone before you may have adjusted them and have them way off.Yamaha's recommended settings are pretty darned close.My bro in law was about your weight and eventually went to a stiffer spring-BUT-for two years he rode stock and it worked very well.

*Update* Okay, So today I worked on getting my YZ's suspension dialed in for my weight, I'm starting with the shock then the forks. So today I tried setting the sag and got the exact results i figured i would get. First I adjusted the suspension to get the proper Race sag. I adjusted the shock until I got 4 inches of Race sag measuring from the middle of the back wheel to the rear fender. Then after that I checked Static sag. So I put the Bike on the stand and then put it on the ground and got little to no Static sag at all. So that means new spring with a higher spring rate. My question is How do i know which spring is right for me??? BTW I'm thinking of ordering a spring from MotoSport.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: How to adjust suspension on a 04 YZ250?? *Update*
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Moto$$$$port :)
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
Most sites have a spring calculator. Here's Race-Tech's:

2004 YZ250 Spring Calculator

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Moto$$$$port :)

Whats that supposed to mean? ???

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
Most sites have a spring calculator. Here's Race-Tech's:

2004 YZ250 Spring Calculator

Coop, Do you think this calculator is accurate enough? And btw it takes me to a blank page... :(

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
Moto$port is the Circuit City of motorcycle parts, generally things are 10x more expensive there.  Maybe not all the time, but a lot of the time :)

I would see if Rocky Mountain ATV has the item also and how much they charge.  They are generally cheaper and they ship very fast.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »
I don't know about the whole "Things are 10x more expensive there" I mean. I just bought an Aluminum stand for 58 bucks. But am irritated to find out its back ordered and i most likely wont see it till September.. :(

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Coop, Do you think this calculator is accurate enough? And btw it takes me to a blank page... :(

I think it's close enough, and it works on my laptop and I tried it on my wife's Not sure why it's blank for you??

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
Just brings up a blank page. Maybe you could put the info in for me and tell me what it says  ;D

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »

I think it's close enough, and it works on my laptop and I tried it on my wife's Not sure why it's blank for you??

+1 on accurate enough, I have used it for most of my bikes, and it is very good.
Most small suspension shops use the racetech calculator as well.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »
Most good suspension shops would already know what rate spring suits your weight for that model, as they have probably already done a million before.
Another rough guide is to check your manual, it will tell you what rate spring is standard, and what weight rider that suits. So for 10 kgs you are over the standard weight add .2 kg to the standard spring rate.
Remember to add about 10kgs to you body weight to allow for your riding gear (or as in Jetz case, don't worry about it) ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:50:56 AM by evo550 »

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 02:47:13 AM »
Most good suspension shops would already know what rate spring suits your weight for that model, as they have probably already done a million before.

Most Small shops only do a few bikes a week. Locally here in SoCal (where all of the good stuff happens) Racetech is the leader and the small shops use them for tech support and parts.

If you think a mom and pop shop has set up all bikes for riders from 100lbs to 300lbs you are dreaming. They use a calculator. Most of them use Racetech's calculator.

Why are you trying to lead this guy off course? You got nothing better to do?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 04:48:47 AM »

Most Small shops only do a few bikes a week. Locally here in SoCal (where all of the good stuff happens) Racetech is the leader and the small shops use them for tech support and parts.

If you think a mom and pop shop has set up all bikes for riders from 100lbs to 300lbs you are dreaming. They use a calculator. Most of them use Racetech's calculator.

Why are you trying to lead this guy off course? You got nothing better to do?

What????

Where in my post did I say anything about small or Mom and Pop shops ???
In fact it says "Most good suspension shops" ie Race Tech, RG3, Pro Circuit.

Leading this guy off course ? Noting better to do ?

Stay of the weed, whilst posting on a forum pal.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »
Just brings up a blank page. Maybe you could put the info in for me and tell me what it says  ;D

Try this. Go here and enter you bike info and it will take you to the calculator I posted.

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchdirt.asp