Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Two stroke hillclimbing  (Read 22452 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Two stroke hillclimbing
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
And John, when did I say a vintage bike would be better at the pro level?  How could they be?

What if I wasn't talking about you??  :o :o :o

I still love you buddy!  :-* :-* :-*

The only reason I brought it up is because so many topics seem to .... umm drift.... into talks about vintage bikes. Hell I love vintage bikes! I just prefer to ride or race modern ones.

But worse than any of the drifting stuff is when folks talk about things like they know better than anyone, but have no experience with what they are talking about. If you have no experience why have such a set view on something?

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
HELP WANTED:
Anyone here live close to Jetz ?
I feel the need for someone to lend him a bike, post 2000 125 or 250.
Not trying to be a smart arse, but if you could ride a modern bike for a week jetz, you would understand what the rest of us are talking about.
You would be amazed  8)

:-X
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »

Frank gave me the specs on this bike:

"1972 Kawasaki S2 350 Triple... Crankcase milled .020", Bottom of cylinders milled .010", Heads milled .060", 24MM Mikuni carbs, Custom fabricated DynoPort exhaust, Hand build fuel cell, electric box, swingarm, Battery eliminator, '78 Suzuki RM125 front end grafted to Kawi main frame, '83 Honda XR500 rear wheel assembly. Runs great on Cam2 & Crisco @ a ratio of 32:1."
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
I don't know how my bikes would run on the sight seeing type of ride, I just have no interest in that.

I'd take it on :)  I try anything.

Yep,the clutch is there to help keep the bike in the meat of the power.It can also be used to control the power and maintain traction in slippery conditions.

Ya, you have to use the clutch on any bike, a 500 can make you lazy where you can use it less but where I ride I still need to use the clutch, even on a 500.

Thanks for writing this because it explains quite a bit....

When some of use "Racers" talk about stuff, we wonder why some of you say the things you do, the statement above says it all.

Ya, I'm not a racer, I'm an average rider.  So the arguement here was simply about CR500 vs. other big bores and nothing else.  My exprience was the CR500 did not make as good a trail bike as a Maico, engine wise and handling.  If it's a rider issue and I've ridden both, and you think it would take a better rider to ride the CR500, then you would have to conceed the Maico is easier to ride since you don't have to be as good to achieve the same thing :)

Here is the difference in trail riding a smaller bike vs. a larger bike.  You can be lazier on the larger bike, but I have never stated you couldn't trail ride a smaller bike in all the same places.  Anywhere I've taken my bikes you could take a smaller bike.

KTM 495 Makes it look easy

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
For the type of riding you guys do, I don't see any need for Disc brakes, Liquid cooling or long travel suspensions.

They run ISDE's through areas I ride, so not sure wtf this is referring to, post vids of ur area (I can bench press 1000 pounds, no really I can - not trying to be insulting here, but I see a lot of paper tiger talk on message boards).  Drum brakes are a disadvantage a lot of the time b/c you have to ride more cautiously and slower in dangerous areas.  

Of course, I don't trust any brakes, I've had BOTH disc and drum brakes go completely out on me, so I always ride a bit cautiously since no one pays me to ride and I have to make it to work on Monday :)

I had a cable break unknowningly, luckly I was just on a hill when I grabbed my front brake (yes, disc brakes) and found it had all the fluid run out b/c the cable snapped near the caliper.

I had a bolt break and snap off the rear brake rod on drum brakes, going down the road, luckily wasn't fast and found I was missing rear brakes!  

LC is another thing I worry about, a friend of mine blew his bike up in the woods when a hose clamp loosened and leaked out unknowingly and his bike just blew up without warning.  

Air cooling tho always have to keep an eye out on hot days and make sure do not overheat.  Of course, I've had friends LC bikes overheat from them riding too slow in single track, that fan you can get for the rads is a good idea b/c still need air flow thru the rads to cool the bike down.

Maicos on the Edge

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:30:34 PM by opfermanmotors »

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »
Personally i am faster on a modern bike in the woods.Yes even in the tight nasty st.Vintage bikes are great on an off weekend.Now get out and ride! ;D

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
HELP WANTED:
Anyone here live close to Jetz ?
I feel the need for someone to lend him a bike, post 2000 125 or 250.
Not trying to be a smart arse, but if you could ride a modern bike for a week jetz, you would understand what the rest of us are talking about.
You would be amazed  8)

:-X

What about me? I want to ride a "modern" dirtbike too  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »
What about me? I want to ride a "modern" dirtbike too

What bike do you ride now?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
Hey, if you guys want to set it up for me to try a modern bike, go ahead.  Just don't expect me to like it better.  I hear a Chevy Cobalt can beat a '68 Hemi Charger at the Nurburgring too, but take a guess at which one I like more. ;)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
Been riding an '85 KDX200, I bought it for $300 dollars less than a year ago, little thing is pretty surprising so far. Also have my '89 YZ490 I've yet to take out this season, a '77 Maico 400AW that's in need of a nice restoration and can't forget the little '89 YZ80 which is pretty wicked. Previously had a '76 Husky 360WR and a '76 YZ175 plus a bunch more that just passed through my life.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
For the type of riding you guys do, I don't see any need for Disc brakes, Liquid cooling or long travel suspensions.

They run ISDE's through areas I ride, so not sure wtf this is referring to, post vids of ur area (I can bench press 1000 pounds, no really I can - not trying to be insulting here, but I see a lot of paper tiger talk on message boards).  Drum brakes are a disadvantage a lot of the time b/c you have to ride more cautiously and slower in dangerous areas.  

I didn't mean the terrain was easy, Just a relaxed pace. Not trying to be insulting. but the vid you posted to prove Maico superiority was of a newb crawling up a relatively easy 2nd gear hill just off idle. I really was impressed that the Maico would pull down that low, It is obviously well tuned.

Other videos of group rides at a relaxed pace to prove the CR500 will get stuck on wet leaves WTF?
Your out there having a good time, That's great, But turning every thread into old bikes are better with 10 freakin videos to prove it is lame.

I'm not saying I'm super fast, But I am competitive in my class. There is not one person with a D37 plate on their bike that rides that slow without a flat.

If You think old maicos are better than modern bikes you are not alone, But I disagree with both of you.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
I didn't mean the terrain was easy, Just a relaxed pace. Not trying to be insulting. but the vid you posted to prove Maico superiority was of a newb crawling up a relatively easy 2nd gear hill just off idle. I really was impressed that the Maico would pull down that low, It is obviously well tuned.

Other videos of group rides at a relaxed pace to prove the CR500 will get stuck on wet leaves WTF?
Your out there having a good time, That's great, But turning every thread into old bikes are better with 10 freakin videos to prove it is lame.

I'm not saying I'm super fast, But I am competitive in my class. There is not one person with a D37 plate on their bike that rides that slow without a flat.

If You think old maicos are better than modern bikes you are not alone, But I disagree with both of you.

This was never a old vs. new, it was a Cr500 makes a bad trail bike IMHO.  Thats it.  CR500 is an old bike BTW, it was never updated since the early 90s.  They make do make new Maicos.

Let's see ur stuff then, put ur money where your mouth is :)  I never said I was the best as you seem to claim but at least I show what I do and I have riden all the bikes I talk about, which apparently you have never even riden a Maico to form an opinion.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

Alright, this is gonna be good!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »
If you have no experience why have such a set view on something?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
I'll even go and say forget comparing against a Maico 490 or KTM 495/500.  A brand new KTM 300 is better in the woods than a CR500, I've ridden those and I have to say that they are quite good on the trails.  Then u can't claim I am the one saying old bikes are better.