Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A few new articles on the main TSM site...  (Read 3444 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: A few new articles on the main TSM site...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »
I have to say I'm lovin' those 2010 GasGas EC-300's.I hope the new Maico's have a black/red color combo if the buyer chooses although the white & red bikes look GREAT too.. :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
I agree, those GasGas bikes are nice! I really want a 2 stroke dual sport someday to replace my BMW F650GS. A friend has a KTM250 dual sport and it's a lot of fun.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »
I agree, those GasGas bikes are nice! I really want a 2 stroke dual sport someday to replace my BMW F650GS. A friend has a KTM250 dual sport and it's a lot of fun.
That would be nice Coop to have a 2-stroke dual sport bike! The last time I seen a 2-stroke dual sport here in Maryland was in the early 80's when a freinds dad converted his Yamaha IT-175 into one! That would probably be nearly immposible nowadays,@ least in this state.. :(

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
Very nice color schemes on those bikes.  Black and red really go well together if it's done right.  I have two other observations, though.

First, can anyone explain to me why trials bikes have such tiny exhaust pipes?  Is it specifically to make them perform in a certain way, and if so, what way is that and how does the pipe achieve this?  Or is it maybe to give the rider more freedom of movement to keep balanced without burning holes through his clothes?

Second, look at those primary gears on the trials bike!  That's a really crazy ratio they're rocking there, much higher even than the old Maicos with the chain primary, which were pretty much the highest ratio in the business (which resulted in a high-rpm, low-torque transmission leading to light weight but relatively fast wear, if I remember correctly.)  And it looks like the kickstarter is just bolted right up to the primary gear, that's wild.

By the way, I've never ridden a trials bike, nevermind a modern one, so can someone tell me if they've got a normal-style clutch, or do they use something different.  I want to know more about these unique machines.

As for two-stroke dual-sports, my dad managed to turn his '77 Husky 360 into one, and I think the DMV in Oregon closed the door on that kind of thing just a few months after, or at least that's the rumor.  Very cool bike, but he says the old Kawasaki 350 Big Horn is a sweeter ride on the street.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
First, can anyone explain to me why trials bikes have such tiny exhaust pipes?Posted on: Today at 04:26:44 PMPosted by: JETZcorp 

They dont need a large expansion chamber like MX bikes because of the type of power delivery they have.
The trial bikes hardly use any revs. It's all low down torque that they need. And yes it makes the bikes slimmer.

Question: What is the little unit by the front sproket ? On the Gas Gas page.
3rd & 8th photo down on the ec's. It looks like a vaccum pump of some kind.It has a hose running to the front of the barrel and 1 heading up under the seat.I am pretty sure they dont have oil injection.
Maybe part of the breather system ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:28:29 PM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
That would be nice Coop to have a 2-stroke dual sport bike! The last time I seen a 2-stroke dual sport here in Maryland was in the early 80's when a freinds dad converted his Yamaha IT-175 into one! That would probably be nearly immposible nowadays,@ least in this state.. :(

This is Joe's KTM:

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »
Very NICE KTM-250xcw!!!And it's actually street legal?! I could do my 300xc like that with the blinkers & the nice trials tire on the back but If I did that I don't think it would be legal in my State for the street,although it should be..Nonetheless tell Joe Maicoman said his ride is definetly SWEEET...! :)

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Did  GAS GAS  drop there 125 ?  I  didn,t  see  a pic  of  one.  That  enduro  is  very cool, I  don,t  know  much  about  GAS GAS  bikes,except  there  125  was  pretty  good.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »
Those hoses aren't in their offical videos that I see, that piece goes over top where the cable for the clutch connects. 

GAS GAS ENDURO EC 2011

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:36 AM »
Very NICE KTM-250xcw!!!And it's actually street legal?! I could do my 300xc like that with the blinkers & the nice trials tire on the back but If I did that I don't think it would be legal in my State for the street,although it should be..Nonetheless tell Joe Maicoman said his ride is definetly SWEEET...! :)

Yes it is legal and plated in PA.  I'll be sure to tell him you like it. I keep telling him if he ever sells it I get first crack at buying it. But even though he just bought a 2010 Husaberg 570 he swears he is keeping the smoker.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
Did  GAS GAS  drop there 125 ?  I  didn,t  see  a pic  of  one.  That  enduro  is  very cool, I  don,t  know  much  about  GAS GAS  bikes,except  there  125  was  pretty  good.

I guess they also dropped their 144cc? Man, what a shame.