Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Quick Blast on the 390CR  (Read 5467 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Quick Blast on the 390CR
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:40 AM »
All the information for this one's in the video description.  Just click on the link if you want to see it.  But let met just say this.  If you ever come across a good deal on a Husky 390, go for it.  Seriously, 250cc really starts to feel inadequate after you've messed around with something bigger.  They're fun to ride because they make you work for the power, but it's seriously refreshing to be able to pull your way up some crazy hill at 1200 revs, and THEN have all that two-stroke powerband to play with once you hit a fast section.  I highly encourage anyone looking for a playbike to think of 350cc as a minimum.

Powerline Trail

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Blast on the 390CR
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:37:21 AM »
I highly encourage anyone looking for a playbike to think of 350cc as a minimum.

Nah, sorry man but I have done the big bore thing many times in my 30 years of off-road riding. I just prefer small bores. I am 38 and ride a 125 because I enjoy riding small bores in the tight woods here. Plus it's fun to climb big hills after watching guys on 250's fail to make it (or a 450 like yesterday, LOL). I may get a 200 or 250 next year not because I need more speed but because my nephew's both ride small bikes and it would be nice to have some more low end when following them.

Don't get me wrong, the 390's are nice bikes and run well. They are just not my thing.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
Well, I guess I was being a bit hasty.  I think what you need is some of both.  It's very fun to go from, say, a 390 down to a 125 because then you have the small-bore challenge factor that can be very fun.  And then, you can switch from the 125 to the 390 and it'll again be very fun because of the, "Holy shit, this power is biblical!" factor (also known as the HSTPIBF).  For the kind of riding I do, which includes both trails and roads, both dirt and gravel, a big-bore is extra nice because when you want to slide the back end out... you can!  Don't get me wrong, you can slide a 250, but you have to get way into that powerband, and if you get going a bit fast and run out of revs and need to shift... It's not pretty.  With some more power on tap, you can plonk that bitch into fifth and roll it on, fan the back end out, and be confident that when the corner is over, you're going to take off like Don Garlits (wheelie and all).

I don't think you can really find one bike that will just do it all.  It's good to switch between smelling the coffee and smelling the T-Bone steak.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
You have to be careful with bigbore Husky's of that era because if they kickback hard enough when starting they can break the cases. I've got an 83 430WR (in nice shape) in my collection.

If you like the 390 I would recomend an 86 Husqvarna XC500. They make smoother power then a 4 stroke, and with their big gas tanks and plush suspension are a nice ride for all day exploring.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
What year was the 390? I had a '76 360WR that was totally freakin awesome, it did everything!
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
This is a '79.  Personally, I prefer the '80, because the rear fender is better matched to the 12" rear travel, but it's still hard to fault Big Blue.  And to top it off, my dad bought the thing for under $700, although of course that was back in the early '90s.  The reason he got it was that the bike he had before, a '77 Maico AW250, just couldn't do battle with the mid-'80s 500cc monsters his riding buddies would bring.  Or rather, it was faster in the turns but was a joke on the straights.  And of course, as soon as he got the 390, each one of the riding buddies, to a man, stopped riding!

And speaking of starting, this particular 390 is a bit funky to start, because the previous owner thought he could improve the kickstarter by making it six inches long.  It's less leverage than even my 120, but fortunately it's an easy-starting sweet-heart and doesn't really give much trouble.  And honestly, I can't say I've ever seen a Husky kick back very hard.  Maicos, though, I've seen them practically launch people into the sky.  They say the 501 had a reputation for bending knees backwards.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »
Sorry for double-posting, but I just finished uploading the "Pure Edition" of the video.  No music, so you can just hear the two-stroke... and the wind-noise.

Powerline Trail (Pure Edition)

And here's a little some thing extra, a river crossing that was a little more dramatic than I had wished.  This one's taken from the 250.

Maupin Mud

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
This guy's crazy!  The videos just keep coming!

Tight Trail

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline oldmxracer

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
If you ever come across a good deal on a Husky 390, go for it. 

No kiddin'! A friend of mine recentely bought a barn fresh 79 also. We checked it over, cleaned the carb and it fired right up. That thing is a rocket, even with typical Husqvarna clutch/jetting issues. Of course I usually ride small-bores, so most "big" motors usually impress me.  ::)

This is also my first post here. Been lurking for awhile. I'm an old slow guy. Will ride my PE175 in 50+ Int tomorrow at the Casey AHRMA National. My "RM175" isn't quite ready. Gonna be a hot one......

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
I once built a CR175 for a friend.The bike was a combination of 1976 Honda CR125 and MR175 parts. It sure was pretty with it's Marty Smith fire engine red chassis,tank and plastic.

In the early 70's Monark built some 175 hot rods by combining Sachs bottom ends with KTM top ends.