Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 490 vs 250  (Read 9177 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
490 vs 250
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
I wish I wasn't the one on the 250.  It was like trying to win a top-fuel drag race in a stock Model T.

From the 490's perspective:
Wide Open with JetZCorp

From the 250's perspective:
Going Ballistic with Tobyeo

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 490 vs 250
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
I think you need to wear goggles jetz  :)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »
Resistance is futile Jetz. Allow yourself to be assimilated into the Maico collective and as you become one with your machine you will realize powers you thought you never had.

Oh, and be careful hotdogging down those fireroads,somebody might be coming the other way. ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
I always slow down to half speed whenever there's a corner, so I only hammer it when there's ample visibility.

But I'll tell you this, if I had decided to completely neglect the chance of being hit with rocks and just charged forward, I think I could've had him.  Sure, he'd blast away and get a damn good lead, but my 250 also has a sixth gear that tops out higher than any bike I've ridden.  Even the 390 got pulled away from on that road, once.  But of course, I wasn't about to try something like that because of the flying rocks.

Remember, kids, always be mindful of what's behind you when you nail the power on gravel or rocky terrain.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
What camera are you using Jetz ? Good picture
And have you tryed anything to stop the wind noise ?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »
I've got the 720p version of the ContourHD.  I was going to try putting tape over the mic hole but forgot to put it on before we took off on the trip.  I'm going to try that for the next ride.  If that doesn't work, I'll just give up. :P

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:20:19 AM »
I think you need to wear goggles jetz  :)

Definitely good advice.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »
Yeah, well, I'm not used to people just taking off like that.  The group of riders I normally go around with have a sort of anti-dust system going that eliminates most of the problem.  But yes, I'm sure it would be something good to do if I could afford it (I'm literally down to less than $20 total).

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:23 AM »
Hey, better re-look at those videos, I saw a bigfoot by that tree  :o he was on a 4t.
Great vids, looks like a great time. :D
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »
Hey, you laugh, but that is prime Sasquatch country.  Seriously, every single Native American (this spot is right next to the reservation) I've talked to on the topic has at least one story.  But that's a topic for another forum.

Anyway, I just went into the editing software for fifteen minutes and came out with this splitscreen version.  Thought it would be interesting.

Splitscreen

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
Hey, better re-look at those videos, I saw a bigfoot by that tree   he was on a 4t.

There used to be a video on youtube, which I haven't been able to find, starts off like the famous bigfoot walking and they're like, look there's big foot and while he's walking, he flips them off.  Then in the next scene they're like, we're going to check out big foot in his natural habitat, then Bigfoot comes flying down the hill on a CR500.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
It would be fun to put on a Gorilla suit and parade around on a bike.  Problem is, if at any point you're in the suit and not on the bike, you stand a good chance of getting shot at if someone sees you.  When they were filming Return of the Jedi, they filmed in the Redwood Forests in Northern California, and told the actor in the Chewbacca suit to stay real close to the filming and set and such, because he could be mistaken for a Bigfoot and potentially shot at.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
Hey, JETZ, really enjoy your videos. I'm a desert guy so forest riding is somewhat alien to me. My brother-in-law grew up in Washington though and cut his teeth on woods riding. When we talk bikes though, sometimes when he's describing that type of riding, it's hard for me to relate. Watching vids like these help a lot. Same with Opferman's vids.

One time I showed one of Opferman's videos to my brother-in-law, where he was struggling on a climb with his Maico 490. I commented to my Brother-in-law that I thought I'd have been able to get up that thing fairly easily with my old '82 IT 465 Yamaha. He looked at me like I was nuts and said I didn't know what I was talking about. He explained to me that the forest is a totally different world than what I'm used to and that this kind of riding can be much tougher than it appears to the uninitiated. Ruts, slick mud, roots etc. can really mess you up, he said. After he explained a little bit and I watched that vid again, I realized he was right, and I was wrong.

Even so, I also enjoy it when you get out on the more open trails and stretch the bikes out. You don't by chance know anyone near with a 500CR Husky, a six speeder, from say, '82 to '85, you could do a video on, do you? My brother, bought an '85 years ago. Thing was in bad shape but he got it running for a while and I got to ride it once up and down my street. Was just able to get to about mid throttle in 6th gear before sanity kicked in and I had to hit the brakes. Only time I ever got to ride that machine but man, talk about flat-out hauling ass, that thing was amazing! He had trouble getting parts and seemed like he kept it together with duct tape and bailing wire. Finally he gave in and sold it to my above mentioned Brother-in-law. He was a police officer on the El Paso police force and had an officer friend who'd bought the '81 Maico 490 in cherry condition. They drag raced and the Maico won start to finish. I knew the Husky should have run away from the Maico, at least, after the Maico had topped out in 5th, but my brother-in-law said the Husky simply would not rev out in 5th or 6th gear. He was never able to fix that problem and ended up selling the bike. The guy who bought it, had it overhauled and last I heard, was enjoying eating Honda CR 500s for lunch on the straights, lol. When running right, those 500 Huskys were awesome machines and with six gears, a desert racer's dream.

Anyhow, I've rambled on like the old fart that I am, long enough. I really enjoy your vids, JETZ, keep posting them whenever you can. Same with you, Opferman, great stuff!!!!!!!!!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
Well, there might be one or two more on my channel that I don't think I've posted here.  Feel free to check it out.  You can ignore anything posted before the "Maupin Mud" video, those are unrelated.  You can check them out if you want, I guess.
www.youtube.com/JETZcorp

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.