Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Draining carbs  (Read 1337 times)

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
Draining carbs
« on: January 31, 2023, 04:34:42 PM »
I don't know if this will be seen by anyone as the site seems quiet but I'll post anyway. We have a toyhauler camper and always drain the gas from the bikes by laying them over on both sides so no gas drips smell up the garage area. This also keeps the ethanol from f&*king up the carbs. Or so I thought. Out bikes sat for a few years and while I got both YZ 250's running good the YZ 125 was messed up. Long story short is rather than melt the piston by running too lean I replaced the carb. Fixed it. This was last season.

Get to our first ride this year and all is good. But decide to add extra measure of starting the bikes after draining to make sure carb is dry. The 250's pop off a few RPM's on the fumes left. Empty. But the 125 idled for a few minutes. So that must be why it got messed up. There was still gas somewhere in it.

Point of my post is to recommend drain and start to make sure all the evil ethanol is out of your carb for storage. I live in FL and have a place I can pull camper into to fill up with 90 octane ethanol free so we are running that now. But will still drain and start to keep carbs clean.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away