Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New Two stroke piston design.  (Read 3759 times)

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
New Two stroke piston design.
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »
This is very interesting.

We need our resident engine dynamics guru to weigh in on this.

Flettner?

--Ron.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Re: New Two stroke piston design.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:33:47 PM »
interesting, need field testing proof

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
Good stuff.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
If you thought there was any performance advantage you could always make an insert for the pin in a conventional piston to take that opening away.

I machine quite a few pistons for a different application and use teflon inserts instead of circlips. It would be easy to fit them so they were perfectly flush to the piston.

Maybe I should start manufacturing them. Which one of you guys wants to be my spokesman and do testimonials?  ;D
Ontario, Canada

Offline Flettner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
Sorry, I've been quiet,  doesn't mean nothing is happening, just been busy working and refining a few projects.
This TPI thing is getting interesting, just lately KTM have decided to provisionally patent the TPI system. They cant because all my original development has been well documented here on TSM and the videos I released back in 2013.
An other manufacturer is pissed as they are about to release their own B port TPI. There will be a fight.
Thank you Ray for resurrecting this forum and saving all my old injection stuff, who would have thought?
As for my Mk2 TPI (the 360) its become a haven for spiders. But the need is on now to get it running and get some results, I would like to think by the end of the year finally! I'll post some update pictures in the EFI 360 thread soon.

As to this piston design, yes I have seen it. Wasn't so sure but after some thought I like the idea, might even make some myself. I was worried about weight but that now seems unfounded.  I didn't notice, what grade aluminium did he say he used? I guess the good thing is they can be machined from bar stock rather than cast.

a Little updated look at the rotary valve 360  mk2 TPI
https://youtu.be/bhKrRlZxomc

And another project I've been side tracked on, my 700 twin gyro engine. Up and running now, 11 hours flying, just circuits as I'm sure at some point the engine will stop so I need somewhere safe to land. This was the first flight, for both me and the engine. https://youtu.be/8pS4KhsTtoo
Neil
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:02:35 PM by Flettner »

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
cool!

Offline Flettner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:00:55 AM »
The head for my 360 TPI, water is forced to pass the base of the sparkplug before leaving the head.
Also lots of little channels over the top of the squish area, on the water side, to help control detonation. Head is toroidal type like my 350 Kawasaki but being water cooled is two piece.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:03:20 AM by Flettner »

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
If you thought there was any performance advantage you could always make an insert for the pin in a conventional piston to take that opening away.

I machine quite a few pistons for a different application and use teflon inserts instead of circlips. It would be easy to fit them so they were perfectly flush to the piston.

Maybe I should start manufacturing them. Which one of you guys wants to be my spokesman and do testimonials?  ;D

I have a couple builds going this winter, I'd try it!

--Ron.