Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: racer x race report 9/9/18 Claverack, Hudson NY  (Read 4593 times)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
racer x race report 9/9/18 Claverack, Hudson NY
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
If you race vintage, this is the place to be. The track is as old school and vintage as it comes. Im telling you there are bumps here my boy Angelo (Static Suspension: check em out) hit on his leading link Hodaka back in 74", trust me they asked me how he was doing at track walk.

Well I always come up the night before and camp out. I actually camped next to Josh Clark a neighbor of mine and local hot shoe around NESC. I also had the misfortune of having a group of F-Tards show up to have a kegger and rev their shit box 4 stroke at about 1am show up and park across from me. No worries though i came prepared with ear plugs and the next morning while those F-Tards were just about settle in for a nap, this old gristled vet/track worker guy woke them up by pounding on the camper and made them pick up their mess. This one sorry looking fat F (not that there is anything wrong with that) had ol gristly tell him " thats probably the hardest you had to work in ya whole life , ya piece of $#!T". LOl made ma day.

Well anyway, I did some racing:
First moto vintage 90's - Got a typical start and overtook a rider and ran with this dude on a mint 99 RM 125, but just couldnt seem to get out of my own way and was passed by some fat kid (not that there is anything wrong with that) on a clapped out (something wrong with that) like 96/97 RM 125. That pissed me off, but no matter how hard i tried I just seemed to get slower. Finally, I manged to overtake one more at the end of the race for P8. ugh not good.

125 twostroke only: Got a top 10 start and rode way more aggressive, I was displaced by two rippa snappas on Yamahas but rode strong and had a race for a lap and half with this kid in a katoom who being young tried everything to get by, but this old vet knew to just take the inside and force the kid to use more real-estate and held him off at the checkers. P10

vintage Y2K class: Typical start, there was this chick on a 426 yzf that tipped over, I avoided her and set off after Tom Smyth on his YZed 250. I was able to over take him and finish P4

Vintage 90s moto 2: Well I was up for this one as I told the guy on the Mint 99 RM I was going make things happen this moto. From the start I was on it, the faster guys and bigger bikes get me on the start, but I was right there and soon found my way by #83. I was hung up behind #96 on his mint 99 CR250 for a lap as he likes to make up for lack of pace by running you wide or chopping off your nose in every corner, seriously I was getting agitated with this F-Tard ( not cool vintage manners). I did eventually overtake on a jump before the finish line. Once clear of him I hammered down and closed the gap to Tom Smyth who rode a heck of a last lap to keep me from over taking, we were separated by a wheel over the line. Job well done Tom. P5, but much better moto. 8-5 scores

I elected to pack up and forgo the other two class motos to make it home at a resonable hour seeing how I had a 2 1/2 hr drive home that evening. Was a great day overall and cant get over how cool this track is. Till next time TSM!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:37:44 PM by racer x »

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: racer x race report 9/9/18 Claverack, Hudson NY
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Very nice race write up!!

Most likely the old grizzly dude was Bob Brew, he and his wife own Claverack and have been running it since the early 1970's My first race there was in 1977.

Since this is my local area I know many of the folks that raced with you. Really good friends with Joe Scannapieco (22), please say hello to him next time you see him.

Fun tidbit, this is the track where the idea for Two Stroke Motocross was born. Jeff Conboy and Tim Weeks were joking around. They were both racing two strokes in 2006 (if my memory serves) and we joked that it was the Two Stroke Mafia. Which was the web site address for about a year.

Just discovered the site is back up and running from an Instagram post! So glad to see it back!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
Thanks John, very good information you've provided. This is now one of my top 3 tracks besides Dilla and the wick. If I see Joe Ill say hello.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
John! Good to see you posting.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
Hey John, Mike Sambuco here. My bike (08 YZ250) was the lucky one to me in the first Militia site Pix thanks to Darren at D-rec. Glad to see you posting again. I grew up watching Conboy, Weeks, McMillen, Coen, and even Chucky Hicks as guys I thought I could be like. Boy was I wrong!! ;D ;D. Still goy a corral of 2 strokes as I am now a 2 stroke die hard. 15 YZ250, 13 YZ 250, 12 YZ 125, and even two big old Detroit Diesels in a boat that pump out 650HP each. Yeah, I know they got valves and don't really count but still 2 strokes!

And Racer-X, did you ever think a track so simple looking could have so many bumps? No big jumps, no whoop section, and yet still will separate the men from the boys. Been going to Claverack since 1981! Has not changed on bit and that's a good thing.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »

Just re-discovered the site very recently. Have been in touch with Ron and Nanci....

So glad to see you are still a part of the forum!!
Life is short.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Hey John, Mike Sambuco here. My bike (08 YZ250) was the lucky one to me in the first Militia site Pix thanks to Darren at D-rec. Glad to see you posting again. I grew up watching Conboy, Weeks, McMillen, Coen, and even Chucky Hicks as guys I thought I could be like. Boy was I wrong!! ;D ;D. Still goy a corral of 2 strokes as I am now a 2 stroke die hard. 15 YZ250, 13 YZ 250, 12 YZ 125, and even two big old Detroit Diesels in a boat that pump out 650HP each. Yeah, I know they got valves and don't really count but still 2 strokes!

And Racer-X, did you ever think a track so simple looking could have so many bumps? No big jumps, no whoop section, and yet still will separate the men from the boys. Been going to Claverack since 1981! Has not changed on bit and that's a good thing.

Hey Mike,

I'm sure we've met, but I'm horrible with putting names and faces together.

We have some of the same friends/heroes!! Of course all you've named were far better racers than I was, but did consider each of them friends.

You have a great deal of really nice toys there!!

As for Claverack, usually all the bumps were filled in with saw dust!! So they came back really quickly!! Even with that it was one of my favorite tracks!!

I've not been to the races in many years, but plan to visit Claverack in 2019. Do you still race? If so, it would be great to catch up with you.
Life is short.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »

Just re-discovered the site very recently. Have been in touch with Ron and Nanci....

So glad to see you are still a part of the forum!!

Yeah they couldn't get rid of me when I found the site back up :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »

this is true, the off chambers are most tricky, not used to the hard pack either. I do get excited to race there its like a little Dilla.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:32:52 PM by nancis »

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »

We're glad you're here!  We're glad all of you are here!  Hope you stick around and see where all this can go!
More bikes than I can list...regular riders 2015 Beta XT300, 1986 IT200, 1980 IT175

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 02:05:05 AM »

We're glad you're here!  We're glad all of you are here!  Hope you stick around and see where all this can go!

Coop, you always brought levity and fun to the forum!! Seems you are still doing the same.

Nanci, I look forward to getting to know you and Ron better. I will stop by every once in a while to say hello and to add my two cents to the conversation.

It's going to be fun!
Life is short.