Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Good, Bad and the Ugly of 125's?  (Read 5259 times)

Offline JoeyG

• Novice
    • View Profile
Good, Bad and the Ugly of 125's?
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
Looking to purchase a 125. I always loved the 93-96 year CR's but also wouldn't mind finding an 06+ YZ for the suspension. As far as the KX and the RM I'm not sure what years are good, bad, etc. I hear the RM's corner very well but parts prices are stupid high compared to the others. KX..i have no idea what years are good.

Any advice on choosing what year/model bike to find or if easier, what year/brand(s) to stay away from?

Thanks!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Good, Bad and the Ugly of 125's?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
What do you want to use it for? If I was racing, I would probably pick a YZ125 if a Japanese bike was my choice. Not because I like YZ's but because some parts for some bikes are getting hard to procure. I had a 1996 RM125 in 2010 and the engine cases are not available, even then. I had to have a crack welded and always worried about it lol.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
buy the newest model you can afford/like. look for models that relatively stay the same over quite a few years as parts are more readily available. good luck

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
buy the newest model you can afford/like. look for models that relatively stay the same over quite a few years as parts are more readily available. good luck

Add to that the one that has good local dealer support.

You can get everything online these days I suppose but being able to walk into the dealer and get questions answered and get stuff NOW when you need it is a good thing, trust me.

--Ron.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
I have ridden 04 kx124, 04 rm125, 05 yz125

stock wise, the kx has a solid motor. good midrange but top end is a little flat. A pc pipe helped. It is a very nimble feeling bike and sits low. Corners are good and straight line. Forks are crap, you can swap a set of showas from the kx250f and the rear can use a longer linkage

the RM's hold a special spot in  my heart. I've had a number of them. I would look for an 04 or newer model as they had some good updates to the chassis and motor. Typically these out of the box are mid and up motors. These corner really well, and there wasnt a turn i didnt have confidence in hitting an inside or outside line. These are opposite feeling to the KX as they sit a little higher, and i remember in chicane's it was a little slower transfering.

The YZ is the most solid. Better build quality vs kx or rm, the motor was well rounded and had good bottom to top power. pre 05 they were 5 speed motors but i still liked them. I didnt have much problem with them but engine power was about the same. the 05 and after are much lighter though. handling nothing wrong but nothing exciting, in turns they push a little but not a deal breaker bad

at this stage I would get the cleanest 125 you could. even 06's can have frame rust.

Offline JoeyG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »
Thanks! Going to use it for MX so wasn't sure what one shined the best or the ones to stay away from. I knew the later YZ's were solid and always heard the RM handle great. I'm trying to pick up an 05 RM125 now but WOW did the prices of two strokes skyrocket!!! You could pick up a 125 for next to nothing but now I can find 4 strokes with 2 For 1 type of prices.

I hope this RM125 deal comes through as I'm really looking forward to riding again.

Offline JoeyG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
I ended up getting the RM. Engine has a new crank and top end. Only minor things need to be addressed but I love the way this bike feels. Can't  wait to get it out and get some seat time in. Not a use how to post a pic but it looks pretty good for an 05

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:15 AM »
awesome pickup. the 05 got the last of any changes to the rm. a few small thing like peg position and a few engine tweaks.

stock the motors like to be revved out. and suspension was set fairly light.

both of these are easily addressed by a shop.

my last 125 was a 2004. Had the motor built didnt try to to get a a bit more balance and more power all together. it really opened up the motor doing porting and some head work.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
Congrats man.

To post pics you need a photo hosting account; Photobucket, Imgur, etc.. Then you post the link with the [img] tags. There is a stickie at the top of this forum explaining fully how to post photos.

Offline JoeyG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
For this year I'm gonna just leave it the way it is. The pro circuit pipe doesn't look the best but it works. The rear linkage needs some loving with new bushing but all in all I really like the bike.

With regards to the suspension, what is a good starting point to set the clickers? I have no idea where these are now and not sure what is a stock setting. Also, what is a good sag number for the rear and when do you know if you need to have it resprung? I'm 195 with gear so not sure if these are set up for the 150lb riders.

Once again thanks for all the input and I'll get some pics up soon.

Joe

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
The one thing you can count on with a used bike is it is going to need suspension bushings/bearings.

I have taken a lot of them apart and they all need something and most need everything.

I always tear my new bikes down and lube all that with some good Bel-Ray waterproof grease, it really helps.

--Ron.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
The one thing you can count on with a used bike is it is going to need suspension bushings/bearings.

I have taken a lot of them apart and they all need something and most need everything.

I always tear my new bikes down and lube all that with some good Bel-Ray waterproof grease, it really helps.

--Ron.

Wish we had a "Like" button. I agree completely.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
I wish I'd seen this before, I would have pointed you in another direction.

I raced an 04 RM125 for about 5 years, then bought a 2011 Husky CR. Within a few weeks I went from being a midpack rider to winning races and by the end of the year, won the division.

Suspension every bit as good as the YZ (exactly the same forks),  way better handling than the RM, and loads of potential with that motor. The Italian Husky two stroke is definitely an underrated bike.
Ontario, Canada