Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Moto gp crazy rules  (Read 3212 times)

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
Moto gp crazy rules
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:25:01 PM »
Look at the db levels the 4 srokes can have

honda 600cc is gone replace the 250 2strokes

and 1000cc 4stroke replace the 500cc 2stroke

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=17713BB362B24877AD1C8966A44CBB2B

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Moto gp crazy rules
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
What a crazy, idiotic set of rules!! Make them bigger, make them smaller, then make them bigger again....

Just make it straight displacement... Stop the madness!

And don't get me started on the sound levels... 130db??? That is criminal.

Hearing damage, closed riding areas, angry neighbors... how could a sanctioning body ever allow such a travesty?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
Well, I think it really depends on the track.  Portland International Raceway has measures in place to keep noise down and they say that with the 105dB limit trackside, it translates to a mere 70dB at the nearest residence, which is about the same as the noise of cars going by.  Now, I know 105dB to 130dB is a lot of increase, but I still think that it's really a variable situation depending on the location.  In many, if not most situations, I agree that 130 is probably detrimental.  Although, I wouldn't mind having some Top-Fuel going on next door.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
While loud sounds can be pleasing to some of us, we have to remain respectful of those around us. This is for two reasons, there may be times when they make loud noises that you don't like. It's easier to ask your neighbor to respect you, if you respect him.

The second reason that has plagued motorcycling for generations is those that don't like the noises that we feel are acceptable, can and have in desperation made a stand to convince politicians and others to limit our rights to ride. This has resulted in the closure of riding areas and race tracks all over the world.

If we don't police ourselves we will be regulated out of existence.

Another thing is to gain an understanding the nature of sound measurement. Every person on this board is intelligent enough and surely understands the nature of sound being a logarithmic unit of measurement. Which means that a 10 db increase DOUBLES the volume of the sound!

Please take a look at this Decibel Comparison Chart. It contains a chart with the OSHA Daily Permissable Noise Level Exposure. Using the 130db measurement listed as acceptable in Moto GP racing, it doesn't even list a sound pressure level that high, so moving down the scale to the next loudest sound on the chart which is 115db. The recommended amount of exposure at 115db is 15 minutes per DAY !
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

What level would be acceptable for an entire days exposure? 90db for 8 hours of exposure or 92db for 6 hours of exposure.

Would it be a smart move to set one of these as the legal limit for motorcycle racing? I believe so.

Or would you rather that tracks close down at a more alarming rate than in the past?

Easy choice in my book!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:11:53 PM by John Nicholas »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »
Well, I think it really depends on the track.  Portland International Raceway has measures in place to keep noise down and they say that with the 105dB limit trackside, it translates to a mere 70dB at the nearest residence, which is about the same as the noise of cars going by.  Now, I know 105dB to 130dB is a lot of increase, but I still think that it's really a variable situation depending on the location.  In many, if not most situations, I agree that 130 is probably detrimental.  Although, I wouldn't mind having some Top-Fuel going on next door.

Classic!

I just noticed you were from Portland.

I used to sit on a couple of committees regarding PIR. There is alot to the story (going back to Frank Ivancie in the 50s'...does he sound familiar to you?) and the sad part is the racers took a giant screwing from the original promoter, and the guy who replaced him.

Things would be different now if when the promoter who was holding all of drag racing at PIR in an arm lock (don't want to say his name in public...he and I are NOT friends due to an issue at SIR) would have been replaced by a certain other track owners son. But the city tolerates the place...there were rumors of lawsuits...changing of city codes... ;)

Glad I left all the BS behind.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
130 db, isn't that compared to a F-18 taking off. And I love how Dorna changes there stupid rules every couple of years too. I thought they said that the liter bikes were to fast, now imagine how much faster they are going to be with the 800cc technology.