Home > Forum

Poll

How do you think the rules should go?

85/150f 125/250f, 250/450f
85, 125, 250f/250, open class
85/150f, 144/250f, 450
85/150f, 125-250(any stroke), open class
other(please post other option below)

Author Topic: What is your idea of a good rule change?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
What is your idea of a good rule change?
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »
Please post what you think if you did not see a rule change you like.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: What is your idea of a good rule change?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
I think your first option is good if they allowed big bore kits for the 2T. 2T need parity not an advantage. That's what 4T have now that many feel is unfair, lets not just put the shoe on the other foot. Motors of closely approximate power should race together regardless of how they function atmo.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »
I think your first option is good if they allowed big bore kits for the 2T. 2T need parity not an advantage. That's what 4T have now that many feel is unfair, lets not just put the shoe on the other foot. Motors of closely approximate power should race together regardless of how they function atmo.
So, basically, you have like the 144 to compete with the 250f idea? so, maybe like a 280, or 300, to compete with a 450?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »
I'm happy with equal displacement!  :) So, 85, 125, 250&250f, open.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
I'm happy with equal displacement!  :) So, 85, 125, 250&250f, open.
Haha, me too, but, I think the only class that will have equal displacement would be 250/250f, because, I just can't see manufacturers being able to make an 85cc four stroke, or a 125 four stroke for that matter, the four strokes just wouldn't be able to keep up, they would need like turbo's, maybe nos.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
So, basically, you have like the 144 to compete with the 250f idea? so, maybe like a 280, or 300, to compete with a 450?

More like whatever it took to make equal power without building a time bomb.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
oh, I seeso, making it so guys riding four strokes don't have to make their 250f's so strung out that they don't last one moto?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
in the uk their is a massive push for a 125class 250class 500class to bring back the interest to the sport, mx3 is a joke and the GPs are losing money for the promoter he,s a great bloke and cant understand why people are not attending the GPS.The old 500 class was a massive event and the crowds where huge.But the Japanese want it to stay like it is,I was told by someone quite high up in one of are ruling body's that they have to do what the factory's want in case they take away their support .   

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:18:23 AM »
oh, I seeso, making it so guys riding four strokes don't have to make their 250f's so strung out that they don't last one moto?

No, more along the lines of the 2T being more on par with the 4T per class.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
Equal displacement, straight-up.  Here's the room you have to work with.  If you can make a better mouse trap, you're going to trap more mice.  I would be fine with allowing superchargers on the four-strokes, if that's what they think they needs.  On the other side of it, though, there's no reason I can see why a two-stroke with DFI couldn't have one, too.  If the extra weight slows the bike down, it won't win.  So long as the marques race what they sell and stick to equal-displacement, I think it should be open and free from there.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
Equal displacement, straight-up.  Here's the room you have to work with.  If you can make a better mouse trap, you're going to trap more mice.  I would be fine with allowing superchargers on the four-strokes, if that's what they think they needs.  On the other side of it, though, there's no reason I can see why a two-stroke with DFI couldn't have one, too.  If the extra weight slows the bike down, it won't win.  So long as the marques race what they sell and stick to equal-displacement, I think it should be open and free from there.
Superchargers on dirt bikes, i don't know, i think, that, just, light, how they are motocross bike are good enough, for me anyways
I'd rather be riding...

Offline westyzkx

• Novice
  • Two Stroke Militia
    • View Profile
    • Toyboy Connection
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
Equal displacement is the ONLY fair option, if they don't allow that then the game is well and truly up & we will be stuck with crumby 4 strokes for ever, why should they get this big unfair advantage? its crazy..

The fact is 4 strokes cant compete on an even keel with 2 strokes, so they need a big handicap. If they are unable to fight the 2 strokes on a level playing field then maybe they need their own seperate series like they have in the olympics for handicaped / special needs people.
www.toyboyconnection.com - online dating for younger men and older women

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
I take a rather libertarian approach to how I think the rules should be made.  Give the manufacturers X displacement to play with, and from there it's up to them to make the best bike they can out of it.  If Yamaha thinks that a two-stroke 250 will win, they can put that on the track and pit it against Suzuki's 250F-turbo.  Maybe Suzuki's idea will be better, and they'll win the races.  If it turns out that the turbocharger is not well-suited to the role (can't make enough power for the 2T, turbo lag, weight, whatever) then Yamaha is going to win.  It's the free market being applied to motocross.  But of course, I also had that you have to sell what you race, so that will prevent Conglomo International from making a $5 billion bike and pushing Toolshed Ltd. out of the competition.  This will encourage the bike makers become engineering companies again, rather than lobbyist organizations.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
Hey, I was thinking, maybe, we need to chuck all of these ideas out the window soon, think about electric bikes coming into play soon, i mean we have three companies coming with promising bikes, we have KTM(very creative company, should be interesting to see what happens), we have zero motorcycles(making 10 more ft/lbs of torque than a crf 450) and Quantya swiss electric dirt bikes
I'd rather be riding...

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Hey, I was thinking, maybe, we need to chuck all of these ideas out the window soon, think about electric bikes coming into play soon, i mean we have three companies coming with promising bikes, we have KTM(very creative company, should be interesting to see what happens), we have zero motorcycles(making 10 more ft/lbs of torque than a crf 450) and Quantya swiss electric dirt bikes

Electric bikes ..lol I want a bike with feelings and sound... not for me.
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.