Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Are 2-Strokes making a comeback  (Read 5855 times)

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
Re: Are 2-Strokes making a comeback
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
I would like to think that we'll see them opn the show room floor again but really I'm not sure it will happen. The upper levels of competition have all but written them off. These things are hangin for the sheer fact that we few lovers of the smoke still buy sell and trade in them. What company of any size is going to stick their necks and wallets out to try and disprove that 2 strokes are dead. The tree huggin liberals in the US won't stand for it, even if it menas they are going deaf from the 4 beast nosie. Yeah there's KTM and TM but with new development fromthe Euro's comes a hefty price tag. I know one thing for sure. As long as I can get parts for my KX250 I;m gonna be riding it.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
I hear people say that four-strokes make for lazy riding because you can lug them out of corners.  I think the important correction to be made is that large displacement bikes let you lug them out of corners.  When I got off my 250 and onto a 390, the difference in low-end was MORE than the difference between the 120 and the 250.  The two bikes are geared practically the same, but the 390 easily allows the rider to go along at practically no speed at all.  I'm talking sub-idle RPM here, it's really phenominal how much low-end a big two-stroke has.  And that's just a little 390.  If we had equal displacement and they let 450s go into the fray, I guarantee you people would stop talking about four-strokes as though they were somehow easier for a lazy rider.  It's not that they have low-end, it's that they lack top-end.

Anyway, that's my paragraph response to 1/2 of someone's sentence way back somewhere.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 125mx.com

• Novice
  • The Bullshits Stopped
    • View Profile
    • 125mx.com
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
Here in the UK we have seen the tide turn, its slow but there are more 2st's being ridden, or it just maybe less 4st's out there ?  Our local practice track get's a full mix of riders as its rough and virtually all weather, this year alone the split on any day will be 50/50, 3 years ago it would of been only 20% 2st. Thing is, the oldest 4st seen last week was a 2005 450f, the oldest 2sts thats there everyweek is a 1996 250, yea there are older bikes now and then, but where are all the 1997>2004 4sts ?  There's a growing market here for late 4st rolling chassis for 2st projects, I myself bought a 2008 250f roller for £500 and put a 2004 sx200 motor into it, infact its now got a 2002 125 motor in there.

You are right about kids wanting to race 4sts as their easy, but thats a rule drawn up by faceless profiteerers, give us equal dissplacements and lets see how many cam lovers drop their valves for premix. Our schoolboy series have a few 150f's but major on the sx85, at club level where kids are not blessed with ability you may see a few more 4sts, We are all hoping we take the stance of the rest of Europe and exclude the 150 from competition until a rider is 16yo, keeping kids on a max 125cc

We have 3 different National 2st series to race at, and they get attention from big sponsors the press and spectators, as long as we keep buying 2st equipment, it will be made as its a big (and getting bigger) part of our dirtbike bussiness. To big to let go I'd say !

At the end of the day its riders that make the choice what gets made and sold, Honda made that mistake here, by stopping their 125 and 250 cr's and giving loyal customers no choice, they fully expected guys to just swap to their 4sts, that didn't happen and Honda suffered for sure, that along with all the problems they've been having, have IMO dropped the big red company well down the list

PREMIX IS THE FUTURE

30:1  4  LIFE
If it aint broke, fix it till it is