Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Headlight on a small bore two stroke?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline yz80ripper

• View Profile
Headlight on a small bore two stroke?
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
I have a 2000 yz 80 and recently i was riding at night with a big group who all had lights (my bike doesnt) when my bike dropped a chain. they didnt notice and carried on without me when i finally got the chain back on i was in the middle of the pennsylvania woods, at night, with no light, on a trail i had never been on. I got back to the house but not without a few detours and crashes. so i was wondering if there was any way to hook up a headlight to my bike being that there is no lighting coil available for it and a flashlight taped to the fender isnt cutting it.  I have seen some really hih end battery powered ones but im not willing to drop hundreds of dollars for one... Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:54:22 AM »
If there is no lighting coil available maybe see if you can get an electrition to make a lighting coil or the cheaper option is to buy some cheap LED torches to use.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
I knew a guy who did a lot of dual sporting and his wife had a street legal, lights equipped, YZ 80. They are rare but the ignition off of a Yamaha DT 50 just might fit on your bike.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:04:09 AM »
I had a headlight geared on my 99 RM125 to the powerjet feed-not sure if your carb has one though.....
Wasn't a great light but it did in an pinch.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline yz80ripper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
I am gonna try to hunt down a dt50 coil, ill see if that works but if not i might just buy a cheap acerbis light and wire it to a nimh battery from an rc car or something.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:13:40 AM »
There's a ton of good,bright lights out there if occasional use and something you can strap on or attach to your helmet is what you're after.Look at any place that sells mtn biking supplies.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
That's what I'd do. Either that, or try to attach a couple of those crazy bright LED lights, or LED flashlights you can buy now for cheap.
Ontario, Canada

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »
I get laughed at for riding with what I made, but it works well and was cheap. I took a belt and 8 LED flashlights and super glued them to the belt. I take that belt and tighten it around my front fender, turn all the lights on, and presto, instant headlight for like $10. Though cheap LED flashlights are kinda ify over bumps and usually two go out occasionally, but its still bright.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
Lots of guys ride with battery powered lights to get legal for enduros. Many companies make them or you can try to roll your own with little fuss.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline yz80ripper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
I get laughed at for riding with what I made, but it works well and was cheap. I took a belt and 8 LED flashlights and super glued them to the belt. I take that belt and tighten it around my front fender, turn all the lights on, and presto, instant headlight for like $10. Though cheap LED flashlights are kinda ify over bumps and usually two go out occasionally, but its still bright.

Thats exactly the type of thing i was hoping for, im gonna make a run to the hardware store and ill see how it works out.