Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 1980's expermental Honda's  (Read 5386 times)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
1980's expermental Honda's
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »
Twin cylinder 250, wish I read Japanese
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 1980's expermental Honda's
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
And another, "Note the rotary valve on top of the motor. This featured  two rotary disks that simultaneously varied the intake and exhaust timing as the RPM changed."

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
The twin has been featured in VMX magazine a while back. I doubt the 'variable' aspect of the disc timing, but it's still the only disce valve Honda I have ever seen. I'll get my Japanese operative to give me rough translation.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:58:51 PM by 2T Institute »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
It's a pity they were so anti 2 stroke  :'(
Imagine what might be around today if they let their engineers do what they do best  ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »
I don't know the story behind this, but aren't twin-cylinder bikes against Da Rulez?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
Who cares Jetz ? ???
As a design exercise i think it's brilliant.

I bet everyone here would love to have a go on something like that.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm not doubting that.  I'm just saying, we can't necessarily blame Honda for axing this thing, when they might have actually wanted to enter it in serious racing competition, but weren't allowed to.  As does everyone else, I would love to know how this craziness goes.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2stroke250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
1996 SUZUKI RM250 W/2000 RM250 ENGINE SWAP

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:25:47 PM »
Man that front end just blows my mind, I would venture to say the unsprung weight is a fraction of traditional fork bottoms of that era, it just seems like the long way around to me but I bet its PLUSH MR. ROBOTO
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »
I remember that style front end, believe it was the Ribi, got a picture somewhere of DeCoster with that style front end on his factory Suzuki

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
If you watch On Any Sunday, you'll notice that quite a number of bikes long before these had odd front suspensions which, while not exactly like this, were pretty similar.  A lot of riders liked them because when you hit the front brake, the bike didn't dive.  Sometimes, the nose actually went up a bit, which left one with lots of travel left-over to take braking bumps and crazed Joel Robert fans as they laid in front of you to slow you down. :)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
friend of mine back in the 70's had a DKW with the leading trail front end

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 03:22:38 AM »
I think it was either Gilera or Aprilia that campaigned a 125 twin in some GPs around the Gaston Rahier / Akira Watanabe era of GPs.

Twins were rapidly banned, as bringing a potentially damaging level of costs to MX racing...!

Yamaha tested with a twin 125, and of course Honda had their twins in both 125 and 250 capacities. I think they used them for a time in the Japanese nationals.  Twins were banned until Aprilia came out with their twin 450s / 550s. It's amazing how quickly the rules can be changed, especially when the main factories don't see the new bike as being a threat. I think now there is a 'gentleman's agreement' between the big factories to not pursue twins. Mind you, I think you'll see KTM and perhaps at least one Japanese factory come up with a 450 twin for Rally / Raid racing, with how well the Aprilia did in the SA Dakar. Probably the most exotic MXers ever made were campaigned the the J Nats - and you still see the trickest bikes there. Honda, for quite a few years experimented with CV transmissions on some works 250s - the nature of which was shown , ironically in Honda's patent application for their internal gearbox DH bikes that Greg Minnaar used to win the DH World Cups.

It was a variable dog bone /scissor link set up, that I've got a patent listing copy somewhere in my workshop - it was about 100+ pages of very interesting stuff. The funny thing is, the works Honda DH bike gearbox ended up , in its last few incarnations, as little more than a internal derailleur / sprocket cluster set up. It was hard to top something as simple as a system just derailing a chain onto a variety of sprockets. But there are few things that can stress/ prove/disprove the action/ feel and power transmission/efficiency of a drive line than the (in relative terms) ultra high torque and low revs of 2 human legs.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »
I've got a DKW with the Earles fork in my collection.I was told that back in it's day that front end was the hot ticket in the desert.