Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Had a little epiphany at the track today.....  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Had a little epiphany at the track today.....
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:31 AM »
I was doing some bike maintenance and needed a new rear sprocket. I found a few on the shelf in the shed I got from RMMC on sale last year. The down side was that they are 47's and I've been running the stock 50's on my rm. I threw one on just because I'm not racing lately and wasn't concerned about all out acceleration.
At the track this morning I was surprised at how well it hooked up! Acceleration like a beefy 250f. I could hold a gear longer and twist the throttle harder without any loss of control. And the suspension felt more forgiving over accel bumps coming out of turns. I found myself launching further over jumps too. I had been concerned about a loss of torque but I actually felt more due to the increased grip.
I have a very fast buddy, rides and often wins the expert vet classes, that regularly runs -3 teeth in the rear and for gp's will even go up one tooth in the front on his yz250. I had been a doubter of his setup, but now .....?
I probably won't go to his extreme gearing, but I'm gonna stick with the -3 on the rear, at least for the 3 RMA sprockets I have left.. ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »
most people don't realize that gearing and a flywheel can make all the difference in a smoker.

Imagine your gearing but with a heavier flywheel? even less hop/wheelspin/out of control and just cruising right along? talk about unfair against 250f's lol

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:12:32 AM »
most people don't realize that gearing and a flywheel can make all the difference in a smoker.

Imagine your gearing but with a heavier flywheel? even less hop/wheelspin/out of control and just cruising right along? talk about unfair against 250f's lol

Too true on the first part. I think my 2013 250sx would benefit just as much from 2 LESS teeth on the rear as it would two MORE. Reason being is that with 2 less I could hold second gear on some jumps that I have to quickly grab third on the exits of. With two more, I could probably hold third through those same corners. I see too many people going all out on engine mods before they even look at a rear sprocket. Then they go and buy one because of the blingage, not performance... Sigh.

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »
I recently went up a tooth on the  rear sprocket and like you, Addict, I noticed the suspension got much harsher in the chop. The motor also lost some of its smooth harmonics and got punchier. The only place where the bigger sprocket was an advantage was on steep climbs when riding trails.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
Don't know but just wondering if the rear wheel being farther back (assuming you didn't shorten yout chain ) has an effect in the handling?  I think with the wheel back farther you can get more drive and the bike is less prone to wheelie. I know it really helps in the single track I ride with some of the steeper hills.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »
I am orienting my dual sport KTM250 a bit more towards street with a 42 tooth rear sprocket (replacing the 48 that is on there now). THAT ought to test the limits of this theory!
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
Imo, I personally like my back end loose, not on the straights obivously but in the chops and berm, right. Look at Carmichael's riding style.   

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »
Don't know but just wondering if the rear wheel being farther back (assuming you didn't shorten yout chain ) has an effect in the handling?  I think with the wheel back farther you can get more drive and the bike is less prone to wheelie. I know it really helps in the single track I ride with some of the steeper hills.
Rear wheel is forward. I put a new chain on at the same time. It was short. The axle is almost all the way forward. I have found over the years that I like the rear axle forward. It seems to improve my turning  and I like the feel. I think it's an individual thing.