Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Kick and go, 380 style. Smok'in good time.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Kick and go, 380 style. Smok'in good time.
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:29:59 AM »
Got a hall pass to hit the single track at my local riding area after work today. God that feels good to thrash my 380 on some hils, rocks, canyons, and a few fireroads where the beast can stretch her legs. I was one of about 6 ORV's in the whole park too. Cap it off with some gorgeous sunset lighting on the hills. This is the life.

I am a tick away from 55 but when I get on the bike I feel 15 again. I really want to be doing this 20 years from now.

Bike is put away now and my muscles are sore but even that feels good.

This sport has to be darn near as addicting as crack.

Nice smile on my face tonight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
Kick and go, 380 style. Smok''in good time.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:31:10 AM »
Funny you should say this, just tonight the apprentice and I ( after work ) had a thrash around the back yard, F9 and TT500, only for twenty minutes and just a **** little track but yes that's the way to end the day ;D

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Kick and go, 380 style. Smok''''in good time.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »
You must have a set of titanium balls to "thrash" a 380  :o

I got out to the track today aswell. Just incase anyone is wondering: Pirelli mid-hard tyres, do NOT work in mud and very soft terrain  :- My day did not end so well though, came off a table top 3 gear tapped, lost the front end, over the side. Fine, just a little bruised. I think the impact pinched my front tube, possibly what caused me to actually drop it. I'd been fine on that section before, but this time it just went right over. Anyway when I got back to the ute my front was dead flat, maybe that had something to do with it. More likely I just made a mistake though. Ima thieve the M204/203 combo off my 125.

Couldn't even go full throttle today, slipped so bad I went straight to redline. But still, a fun day. And good as far as teaching 250 control.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Kick and go, 380 style. Smok''''''''in good time.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
Citabjockey you're killing me, you know how I LUST over the mighty 380  :o...  And to get a hall pass... OK what did she do (or maybe what did you do) to give you a hall pass??? :D :D :D  Honestly its been almost too hot and humid here to ride.  I do have a ride planned with my son next weekend.  Yes me on the little 300, and he will be on the (choke, choke cough) 250F

I do understand your feelings...  I'm a tick over 50, and I too become 15 when I fire up the bike...  although I feel as though I'm 70 for a few days after a good ride so it all balances out...  I'm with you as I too plan to ride until I can't physically do it any more, then I get a quad or a side by side... :o

I must admit I do lust over the 380, and am checking the local CL for a 2000 or newer bike... just because I don't want you to have a bigger toy then me...   :D

The park I ride has become a private club.  There have been many times I'm there with just a handful of other riders.  There is nothing like a lot of singe track, and no one to worry about other then yourself.  I do hope that since you ride by yourself, that you do carry a phone, and someone knows where you're riding, just in case the mighty 380 decided to spit you off unceremoniously.. :'(
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Kick and go, 380 style. Smok''''''''''''''''in good time.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Where I ride phones do not work so that is a bit of a concern. But the staff is well aware of what is going on in their park. In fact yesterday when I rode back into the staging area (and mine was the only truck parked at that point) the ranger was riding around in his truck and waved me over. Asked me if that was my truck. If there is a truck left over they go into search and rescue mode.

The staging area in the flats is the lowest point in the park. On many of the trails of the engine dies you turn it downhill and can take a big chunk out of the distance back to stage. If the bike becomes unridable the whole park is pretty small so if you are ok with a 5 mile walk you can be almost anywhere and get back to "civilization". If you get hurt, well you are just going to have to wait for the rangers to find you. Not much big vegetation so even that is far easier than in a woods park. And I am on a "here I am!" orange bike.

So I carry my tools and do my best to make sure there are no crashes -- i.e. I am getting to know my single track trails pretty well and I don't push things. Out for fun and exercise, not for "fastest time through that section". Actually, the sections that are the must fun and challenging for me I am going not much more than walking speed anyway.

As for a 380 -- yes it does bring a smile to my face. But I have to say, there are times when I which is had a touch MORE bottom end.  :o But then I get into the snottier sections and breathe a sigh of relieve that it doesn't.   ;D   Riding a 450F in these areas has to be a royal pain. Now, as for top end? I don't think a tire has been designed that will not spin at near any speed when this thing is solidly on the pipe. Near 60 HP, what a blast.

So this morning I am a bit stiff. That sure feels good too.

So Eric -- when are you picking up a 380?    :D :D :D

Citabjockey you're killing me, you know how I LUST over the mighty 380  :o...  And to get a hall pass... OK what did she do (or maybe what did you do) to give you a hall pass??? :D :D :D  Honestly its been almost too hot and humid here to ride.  I do have a ride planned with my son next weekend.  Yes me on the little 300, and he will be on the (choke, choke cough) 250F

I do understand your feelings...  I'm a tick over 50, and I too become 15 when I fire up the bike...  although I feel as though I'm 70 for a few days after a good ride so it all balances out...  I'm with you as I too plan to ride until I can't physically do it any more, then I get a quad or a side by side... :o

I must admit I do lust over the 380, and am checking the local CL for a 2000 or newer bike... just because I don't want you to have a bigger toy then me...   :D

The park I ride has become a private club.  There have been many times I'm there with just a handful of other riders.  There is nothing like a lot of singe track, and no one to worry about other then yourself.  I do hope that since you ride by yourself, that you do carry a phone, and someone knows where you're riding, just in case the mighty 380 decided to spit you off unceremoniously.. :'(

Offline rlaj1004

• View Profile
You guys are both nuts, I converted my 250SX to a 300 this year and its is constantly trying to spit me off. I don't know what I would do with more power. I know it has 2 modes, and I am in the try to kill me one. Might have to give the other one a whirl.
As for sore, I am black and blue, both thighs, left calf, both forearms. Interesting color combinations. Spent 4 hours with a Pro, learning to ride corners faster.
Go faster to stay up, lean it harder to stay in the rut, If I went to slow I fall over with the bike on top of me. So go faster??? WTF? My Brain does not compute that.

More lessons next week. I like pain, pain is my friend :- :- :-

Offline jar944

• View Profile

As for a 380 -- yes it does bring a smile to my face. But I have to say, there are times when I which is had a touch MORE bottom end.  :o But then I get into the snottier sections and breathe a sigh of relieve that it doesn't.   ;D   Riding a 450F in these areas has to be a royal pain. Now, as for top end? I don't think a tire has been designed that will not spin at near any speed when this thing is solidly on the pipe. Near 60 HP, what a blast.

Try a 500.  Torque for ever and really easy to ride. For single track I'd take my 500 hybrid over my 450/505 every time.

I do want a 380 though.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
that sounds like a great day of training, really! My brain doesn't compute "go faster" either. Its a mental wrestling match every time a challenging section comes up an I KNOW momentum is the bomb for the situation.

And I used to have a Yamaha WR500. But that thing was even softer off the bottom than my 380. No power valve. It was a great bike too and I used it for woods enduros.

You guys are both nuts, I converted my 250SX to a 300 this year and its is constantly trying to spit me off. I don't know what I would do with more power. I know it has 2 modes, and I am in the try to kill me one. Might have to give the other one a whirl.
As for sore, I am black and blue, both thighs, left calf, both forearms. Interesting color combinations. Spent 4 hours with a Pro, learning to ride corners faster.
Go faster to stay up, lean it harder to stay in the rut, If I went to slow I fall over with the bike on top of me. So go faster??? WTF? My Brain does not compute that.

More lessons next week. I like pain, pain is my friend :- :- :-