Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2012 KTM 250SX Issues  (Read 7628 times)

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
I have no problem seating my ktm filter. i just look at the back to see the fingers go on at the back first..

a tip ktm filters are square so you can rotate them wrong and get a exposed gap.

only seen a trace of  sand when it was really wet at the track

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline diogo.mauro.1

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »
I make a habit out of sliding my fingers on the sealing surface of the filter every time I change it. Ive had the bike 2 years and never had dirt past the filter.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »
OREGONMOTORCYCLERENTAL.COM
Using the loudmouth air intake system eliminates the intake problems on the questionable KTM filter seating correctly.I run the Loudmouth system on all my rental machines here in the northwest.After ruining several engines in dusty conditions,I found even if the filter is seated correctly,the rim grease dries out quickly,cracking,and allows dust particles to enter the intake.BELIEVE ME,the new filter clamp does the job.I also run PC filterskins to lengthen the life of the $30 dollar filter.I find no loss of power,and no noticeable increase either.you can find more info at oregonmotorcyclerental.com

Nonsense. Oil your filters, run your fingers around the edge to make sure it is seated correctly. If you do it right, and its really not a complex thing, there shouldn't be any issues to be found unless theres actual damage somewhere.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 12:47:33 AM »
Of the four KTM's I have owned I've never once had a problem getting the air filter seated properly. Although I have seen a freshly rebuilt sx150 engine get destroyed within 3 hours of riding because he didn't put the filter on properly, so I guess you could put them on wrong but if you take care when refitting the filter you should be fine.

Actually been wondering how hard it would be to put a KTM rear end on my CR5. It seems like a pain in the ass now having to remove the seat all the time just to change the air filter.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 01:06:29 AM »
Of the four KTM's I have owned I've never once had a problem getting the air filter seated properly. Although I have seen a freshly rebuilt sx150 engine get destroyed within 3 hours of riding because he didn't put the filter on properly, so I guess you could put them on wrong but if you take care when refitting the filter you should be fine.

Actually been wondering how hard it would be to put a KTM rear end on my CR5. It seems like a pain in the ass now having to remove the seat all the time just to change the air filter.

Nothing like as much of a pain in the arse as jerry rigging the KTM rear end to the CR500 would be, put it that way :P You'll get used to the seat thing, and its nothing compared to changing the air filter on a 10-13 YZ450F. That was absolutely ridiculous.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »

Nothing like as much of a pain in the arse as jerry rigging the KTM rear end to the CR500 would be, put it that way :P You'll get used to the seat thing, and its nothing compared to changing the air filter on a 10-13 YZ450F. That was absolutely ridiculous.

Ye I figured it would be pretty difficult but I doubt I'll be selling it so I'd like to try and get everything perfect on it, besides apart from the subframe I already have most of the parts that would be needed lying around the garage.

I have seen a service honda airbox with a door on the side but that was an 09-12 rear end and to be honest it kinda crap in comparison to the KTM setup.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 06:52:55 AM »
I've gotta say that the current KTM air filter set up is the most difficult air filter I've ever had to seat, the 85 in particular.
I use funnel web filters that incorporate a triple lipped neoprene rubber sealing surface instead of just standard foam.