Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 490 Maico First-Timer  (Read 9038 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: 490 Maico First-Timer
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
These things look big, but they're really no taller than a modern bike, and not particularly heavier.  A big-bore can get a little beefy, sometimes in the 240 range, but really not all that big.  New bikes just tend to look small, and I suspect it's largely because of the rear fender.  I once saw a picture of a 490 Maico which had one of those hangnail-style modern rear fenders, and the thing looked like it was 60lbs lighter, even though it obviously was not.  It's interesting, and I think it explains the weird fenders y'all use nowadays.  Interestingly, the new fenders are almost the same shape as the old fiberglass ones that Maico used until 1975 (although straight instead of curved), which the magazines HATED like the plague.  Now you can't even think of selling a bike without one.  It's weird.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »
Haha, judging by the title I was expecting some dude pinned on a Maico, with the rear end swapping over some natural sand whoops killing it. And then I play the vid and I get a slap to the face with some spode looking like it's his first time on a bike.

I was honestly hoping for the best, like you old guys were right all along... but no

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
The mic is mounted on the cable itself for the POV.

Ya, he's not doing supercross. 

Actually, the title of this website is motocross, perhaps I should create a website messageboard for trail riders?  TwoStrokeTrailRiders.COM?   I see something agitation setting in when people discuss bikes in the context of trail riding instead of motocross. 
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
Cheers Opfermanmotors.
I didnt want to splash out any cash until i find one that works.
I thought of fords idea about rapping foam around the end of the Contour camera to shield the mic.
Would like someone else to prove it works first.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
Well, I'll certainly be testing it for you.  I've heard whisperings of a fairly simple mod that can be done by opening up the camera and putting some foam around the actual internal mic, but that does unfortunately void the warranty.

Anyway, I'll just have to remember to bring my camera next time I go to a vintage race and see if I can catch someone tearing things up on a Maico.  It seems like a lot of the Maico riders aren't very good, like they want to get their dream bike from back in the day and challenge the world out of the gate.  Doesn't work out too well.  Occasionally, though, you'll see someone on a 490 just miles ahead of the next guy.

Now, I just went to the website to see if I could hunt down some shots of a particular really fast 490 guy (no luck) but I did find this shot.  It's not a Maico, but it's just too cool not to share.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Ya, that's what I would suggest wrapping it in something.  The cable is close to the unit so I have it in my jacket usually, but for the most part found it doesn' matte rtoo much, the sound quality is usually good and don't hear any wind on it.  The MIC has a volume level, it seems that "5" works the best since it's not too muted and not too loud that it breaks up.  I have a lot of videos of me with the camera, I don't think any of them have any wind and I don't pay any attention to setting up the mic, it's whereeve it goes.  The only issue I had was if I set the MIC to 10 once, that produced bad sound because the bike is so loud and heard wind on it.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
That's a cool photo Jetz.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
Definitely a cool picture,vintage air cooled bikes make the best pics  :D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »
Hi, I'm Jetz and you're my new best friend.   :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
Hey there Jetz, I've seen the DI debate and the great Maico debate going on around here and I have to say technology is a great thing but I'm also a firm believer in keeping it simple and vintage bikes are simply beautiful  8) ... by the way, I have an '89 YZ490W, '84 KDX200, and a '77 AW400 all simple, fun air cooled bikes
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
I'm liking the sound of the AW400.  My dad has an AW250 from that year and it's one of the two bikes I grew up on (the other being a 390 Husky).  Since I was three years old, I'd ride way forward on the seat, holding onto the crossbar as he rode.  We did that until I was old enough to get my first 50cc mini.  To say that I have fond memories and a lot of respect for the AW's is an understatement.  Don't particularly like the ten-watermelon-sized cases, though.  That's where the Magnums come in.

Dammit, there I go talking about Maicos again.

Do you feel lucky, punk?