Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Noise at MX Tracks  (Read 1879 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Noise at MX Tracks
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:49 AM »
I was just checking out the website for a track in southern Maine that I haven't raced for a couple years and saw something funny but sad.  The 4 strokes are so loud at the track that no one could hear the announcer.  Instead of setting a dB limit for the bikes, they bought an FM transmitter and now broadcast over the airwaves, just tune your radio to 93.3 and hear the action.  Of course you will need a 1000 watt amp with 10 speakers and subwoofers to hear it!!!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Noise at MX Tracks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »
We have races every Friday night at a local fairgrounds. It used to be driving by the only way you knew they were racing was the lights were on and dust was rising. Now you can hear the roar of the 4-strokes from quite a distance away. I am really surprised the neighboring houses haven't protested the noise yet.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline 6IX

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Exarte Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »
Although I detest the four-strokes for their noise as much as anyone, I guess I should say the loudest bike I've ever heard was a mid-70s KX250.  The other bikes were loud, but when one of those went by it was like Eddie Van Halen doing Eruption with his 6,000-mile-tall amp cranked to 12.  That said, when one of them wasn't right next to you, you didn't really notice anything being loud.  But when some guy decided to bring out his old Yamaha four-stroke and mix it up with the new-fangled two-strokes, it not only rivaled the KX250 in-close, but it shook the ground almost as much even when it was on the other side of the track.  Ridiculous.  Fortunately, the Woodland track is a long way away from any significant development.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?