Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico-the final answer  (Read 23944 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Maico-the final answer
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong,I think all the old bikes are super cool but to compare them to modern day in power or handling is a bit of a reach.
Anyway,two examples.The first is from this months mxa's ask the mxperts.I'm not going to type it all out as I already did and for some reason was unable to post it-likely a Maico conspiracy :D
Paraphrased,the guys asks where he can find a good old air cooled open bike like the maico he raced 30 years ago.Their reply-buy a modern day YZ as it has more power,etc,etc, than your old maico ever dreamed of.

Example two.A real race video of a Maico 490 ridden by Jonathan Belle.Vid lasts about 5 min.Take note of the handling of the other period bikes in the race.As for how this turns out,yes,this was largely what it was like back then as many of us lived in that era.

http://www.jonathanbelle.com/Videos/06-07_races/2007-03-24_brighton_evo-a.wmv

There,end of discussion.You're welcome :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Maico-the final answer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
Not so fast! 1st of all those guys at MXA can't get their stories straight.One minute the 1981 490 is "the best handling bike of all time" then next minute "we're all a bunch of Adolph Weil wannabees".

Secondly, JB obviously hasn't ridden many big bore Maicos. If you stall the bike and it doesn't start in the first kick or two, you've lost your "intake charge". Prime it once or twice with the choke, turn the choke off and a kick or two later you are on your way. The fact that he could easily kick the bike over "sans" decompressor lever while seated tells me that the engine is probaly tired. Tightening that kickstart bolt before the race would help as well.

Thirdly, 27 year old damper rod suspension is no match for the modern position sensitive stuff, the fact that a three decade old motorcycle even went as fast as it did speaks volumes about that 83 490.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
You weren't listening to me sachs.I said... "End of discussion!"  >:(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I knew I'd get someone riled.I saw jetzcorp on but has since disappeared.Likely stewing and doing some net research.Lol,I kill myself...oh mercy..... ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:53:20 PM by ford832 »

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
Hey ford832,Should,nt you be on some kind of "Ford" site instead of critisizing the people on this two stroke MX site who just may prefer the older 2-strokes as opposed to a modern bike!If I were you I'd go get your tool box out(if you have any tools!)and work on your FORD!which stands for FUC**NG OLD REBUILT DODGE anyway & I'm sure if it's a Ford it needs worked on! LOL ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
Wow...

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
Actually breakoman009,If you read the first part of my post I wasn't ragging on the old bikes at all,just giving a little reality check.As for the Ford thing,it's not my vehicle of choice,it's simply my last name.As for tools,having worked as an auto mechanic for the past 25 years and having been ase certified and with my interprovincial license(Canadian version)I've acquired one or two over the years.Unfortunately,I am sadly lacking in precision Maico tools.Maybe I'll go in to work tomorrow and grab the oxyacetylene torch and some old steel stock and cut out a few ;D

PS.I prefer FORD backwards.Driver Returns On Foot.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
End of discussion? I say "let the games begin"! Actually I enjoy the old bikes AND the new bikes immensely, I have fun riding either of them.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Lol,sounds good to me.Unfortunately,I have to go put the little one to bed and go fire a new S12 on the bike before beddy bye.I'll check in tomorrow.Have at er........ :P

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
There's a lot of talk about "modern" and "innovation" and "all new" and "redesigned" surrounding these new 4t race engines. If you really look at it though, it's amazing how little these modern, innovative, all new, and redesigned machines have over a bike like the old Maico 490.

Hell, yamaha's biggest 4t innovation in the last few years has been to flip the cylinder around. Big flipping whoop? 90% marketing, 10% actual improvement. And even that is probably being overly generous.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
Your in a funny mood today ford.
Be careful some people here are easily offended.

Was that a couple of modern bikes passing the Maico ?
Couldn't quite see as they went passed so quickly.   :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
I know, looked like they were going backwards.  Poor guys couldn't even climb a 45 degree slope in fifth gear.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
George Marshall says otherwise:

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2008/12/1981-maico-490-george-marshall

That 83 was beat in the video, he wasn't even using the compression release, sitting down, not even going to TDC to start it.

Maico isn't magic you also actually have to ride it.  I could sit on the track on a modern bike and not even use the gas and say a Hodaka is passing me, the new bikes must suck!  My 83 was beat before I just started rebuilding it, 9thousands over what it should have been and it was still easy to start.

Also, I don't write into a website and ask them my own opinion, I ride the bikes and make my own opinion.  Maicos rule and other bikes drool!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:28:51 PM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »
Ahhh! Maico's, If nothing else they evoke a heck of alot of passion....on both sides of the debate.

FORD.Found On Rubbish Dump. :D

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:48 AM »
Brad Lackey says otherwise, also, comparing a Maico 490 to his 2010 RMZ450. I think his comments are on Super Hunky's site. If you live close by, I have a nice track you could bring your YZ to compare it to my 81 490 Maico. You will honestly not be able to say much after you ride mine. The rider in this video is obviously not a 500 rider, nor is the area he's riding fit for a big bore 2-stroke. He looked like he was wasting a lot of time waiting for other riders to get out of the way. The 83 Maico 490's are easier to start than any modern 250, so there is definitely something wrong with the one this guy is riding.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:24 AM »
Hey Guys... I think that you have mis-understood Ford.... he has a wonderful sense of humor. He is a bit frustrated and was trying to state that in a fun way... what is he frustrated about?

Almost every thread on the forum seems to turn into a Maico discussion.

Now I love Maico's.. old ones and new ones... but they are not the answer to everyone prayers.... nor the answer to every question.

At times there have been some incredulous claims about the Maico... I know that some are true.. but some are fantasy as well. While the early 1980's Maicos were legendary (at least to those who loved them) they carry a mystique unparalleled by almost any other brand. But to claim that they are a better choice for Pro Motocross in 2010 is a big stretch. Now if your talking about the M.M.X. that's one thing, but a 1980's bike against the modern ones? It's not possible, no matter how much you love Maico.

Ford was basically calling you Maico guys out because of what I stated above... he is just pulling your chain!!

Have fun and remember they're just dirt bikes... enjoy whichever one you like best. But just because you have a favorite, not everyone has to agree or like yours...

I know it;s hard to believe for your Maico fans, but they don't float everyone's boat. Some of you are starting to sound like born again Christians. So passionate about what you are doing that you actually turn others off to your message. Kick it down a notch or two... okay???

Besides there is no contest to see who can say Maico most in the forum... but let's see how often you can use the word "bent"...  :P :P :P
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!