Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Chain tension  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
Chain tension
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 03:10:24 AM »
SachsGS I agree, most incorrectly check chain tension while the bike is on the stand...  The correct way is to remove the rear shock, cycle the tire up to find the point where the chain is the tightest.  Set the chain / wheel adjusters correctly and then re-install the shock. 

That's what I've always done, but I've then taken it one step farther.  Once its set correctly I'll make a measuring block. I'll put the bike on the stand, letting the tire droop on the stand.  I'll take a block of wood and use it to create a tool that I can use to quickly check the chain slack.

I agree with eprovenzano, Great way to keep your chain tension the same every time. That is what I do as well. I use a small piece of plywood that I cut out when I do the measurement the first time when the shock is still off. Once everything is buttoned back up you can use the piece of wood to reset it back the same every time. For more than one bike write on the wood with a sharpie so you can know which piece to use for each bike. Takes a while the first time but after that is is much easier and true to specs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
Chain tension
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
I will do that for my bikes from now on make up a template and presto good to go. Q is it better to do this with a new chain and sprokets or is wear and stretch negligable because slack is slack whether it is new or old.

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
Chain tension
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »
As for me, (others may feel different or have another opinion) but I do it one time for the bike and use the same template from then on. Only time I have rechecked is when I have done something like had the rear suspension redone or put in new swingarm bearings but it is only because I have everything already off and I am basically just rechecking. I have never had to make a new template for a bike after I made the first one. But that is just me.........