Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Coming Home to 2 strokes and got a couple of questions for the experts.  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
So happy I found this board! After a year and a half hiatus from 2 strokes we are coming home. My sons raced all the mini bikes and raced a RM125 for 2 years. Then made the jump to 4 strokes. After spending a small fortune I just got my son a YZ250. He is an experienced rider and I think a much better 2 stroke rider with his skills and techniques. I know I am a better 2 stroke dad with the size of my wallet!
I have a couple of questions. I searched the board before I ask this but did not find the answers I was looking for. Main question I have is on transmission oil. Now I know there are a lot of choices and most people have their favorite brands. I always used the Honda brand before because it was the brand my local shop had on the shelf. Worked very well and had no complaints. Changed to another brand for a while and had trouble. TO be fair it could have just been the timing and wear and tear and not the oil change but after repairs went back to what I trusted. Where I live now there are no good MX shops close by so I will be ordering and stock piling. I used Rotella T in my 4 stroke and changed the oil after every ride and was pleased. We put a lot of hours on a bike with daily riding and training. Oil will not stay in our bikes very long.
While we are at it give me some input on 2 stroke oil. I used Maxima K2 for most of my previous 2 stroke rides. Used Castor 927 before that. What do you guys use?
Thanks so much for your input. I look forward to talking with you guys on this board often.
By the way I found this board thru Allredy Canopies. I think they did a canopy for this website.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Coming Home to 2 strokes and got a couple of questions for the experts.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
Welcome aboard smithdad. :)
Rotella will work just fine in the gearbox.I like bel ray gearsaver as I've found I get smoother shifts with it.Many of the tranny oils (Motul,Amsoils etc)are just a 10/40 anyway without the modern day friction modifiers.Some will rec atf but I find this breaks down quickly and my shifting gets notchy.To each his own though.If you like Rotella,go with it.It's as good as anything and you can't argue with the price.

From the teardown condition perspective,I've yet to find anything better than Motul 800 or Amsoil Interceptor-so I use either or of those-whichever is on the shelf at the time.Ipone is good also if you like strawberries-and it's made by Motul.
You'll get lots of advice with the criteria just being whoever presently uses what.I always based mine on what my engine looked like wear wise,top and bottom,when it was time to take it apart.(there's a big difference sometimes,they're not all created equal.)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Oh boy, here comes another "what oil is best" thread!

BTW - Welcome to the forum and congrats on the return to valveless bikes!

For myself? I have not had any trouble with any 2T oil for years, S2, MC1, but have been using Lucas semi syn for the past couple of years, 40:1 in my KTM 380 and 250 and my vintage yamaha's (even in the injector tanks). One oil for all. Keeps life simple.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Dirtsaw

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I've tried lots of different oils and premix.  For premix I tried Amsoil interceptor after Redline caused stuck rings and power valve sludge.  Castor 927 smells great, but again, too much buildup.  Interceptor burns clean and I have yet to have any build up on a piston crown or PV.  I liked it so much I became a dealer to get better pricing.  I run it in all my bikes, my ultralight trike, and my jetskis.  For Tranny Yamaha recommends 10w40.  So I use amsoils 10w40.  Clutch action is smooth and the synthetic additives help keep seals pliable longer.
It's competitively priced too.  If you're mail ordering, I can set you up to get dealer cost if you are interested...

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Thanks guys. I was trying to get away from that "here goes another 2S oil thread" I know that is probably second behind the 2S vs 4S debate but I just could find enough of what I was looking for using the search function. I stopped using the 927 because of the build up but sure miss that smell. In my first post the oil I mentioned that I "felt" like I had problems with was the Amsoil 10W40. Again I may be blaming it unjustly but I did seem to have more problems while I was using it. I had no problems when I went back to the Honda brand oil but I did have a new transmission.  I feel sure that the Honda brand oil is bottled by someone else. I like Amsoil 2S oil though and will be willing to give the 10W40 a try again if you guys are using it with no problems. I like the Rotella in my YZ250F if the oil is changed quickly. It seems to break down and cause clutch issues if left in too long. Thanks for the offer Dirtsaw,  I may take you up on that. Have been a dealer for Amsoil myself in the past.

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Welcome to the board! I was running Fuchs Silkolene for quite awhile in the gearbox and premix but the shifting did get pretty notchy as well. When my dad raced back in the day he said belray was the shit. So I switched to Belray gear saver and H1-R on the premix and everything has been solid!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
Welcome to the board! I was running Fuchs Silkolene for quite awhile in the gearbox and premix but the shifting did get pretty notchy as well. When my dad raced back in the day he said belray was the shit. So I switched to Belray gear saver and H1-R on the premix and everything has been solid!

This, I ran out of my standard oil last gearbox change and threw in some fuchs silkolene. Never again. Notchy shifts, and slipping well out of gear sometimes. In its defence, the latter is probably because my bike is half F***ed. Well three quaters :D

For engine oil, I like the castrol synthetic or mineral. When I went to buy a new jug last time the synthetic was 30 bucks more expensive, so after thinking it over extensively (  ;) ) I bought mineral. gearbox oil I now use 10W-40 castrol 4t engine oil. Its good stuff, it was actually a recommended alternative to gearbox oil by the manual.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
Gearbox   Castrol VMX80
Engine      Agip Kart.

Build up is from jetting and ignition, Maxima 927 is very good oil

Offline Dirtsaw

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
Same jetting running interceptor yielded no build up.  Will never run redline in anything I own.  927 may very well be good oil, but gummed the hell out of my pwr valve on a 97 yz250. stock jetting at 1000 ft...  Just sayin...  There are a few oils I'll never use again.  Happy with amsoil so no need for further experimentation...

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I use Belray in everything but I am biased as I get it cheap.
Plenty of good oils out there as others have stated.
Pick a good one and try and stick with it.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. Right now the bike has Belray in the tank and Silkolene in the tranny. That is what the previous owner was using and he included his supply of oil in the deal. Not sure I am going to stick with this but I will run it a while now and see what I think.
One other question. The bike has a Bill's Works pipe on it. I have run FMF and Pro Circuit but not familiar with the Bill's. Any experience with this pipe. Not sure of the jetting in the bike but plan to check that today.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Bills makes a great pipe.They are more known for them on RM's but they work well on YZ's too.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
we always used motul oil for engine oil and tranny

Offline HCE

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 01:57:37 AM »
Use oil that you can afford to change often.

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 02:39:51 AM »
We put in a lot of time on the bike so I change the oil after every ride. One reason why I liked the Rotella T in our 250F's was the price. I have noticed that the Rotella T seems to breakdown pretty fast so that is another good reason to change the oil often. Put fresh Silkolene in the 250 and then put about 2 hours of ride time in and then changed it. It looked like it held up good and the bike seemed to shift good thru the ride time. Have enough oil for a few more changes by then I can make a good judgement on how it performs. Thinking about trying the Amsoil again.
My son really enjoyed the bike after being on the 4 stroke for awhile. He could not believe how much lighter it felt but he also said it was hard getting used to not having the engine braking and having to use more brake to help stop. Overall we are all pleased.