Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: OK EVO,it was your idea........  (Read 18771 times)

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
OK EVO,it was your idea........
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »
I get that you can go just as fast on an old bike but that still doesnt make it a better overall bike because that person can go fast on it. If most people are faster on the KTM then thats a better bike, just the same as if most people are faster on a Maico 490 then that is a better bike.

And without continuous annual development we'd all still ride fourstrokes and I dont mean the fuel injected 250fs and 450fs of today.

Are we done d*ck measuring yet?

Come on, guys.

No we cant decide whether to use imperial or metric measurements.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
It's called a "discussion forum" motoxr377-hence the discussion. :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
So ford now your here what exactly were you meaning about WTFactoryX?

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:45 AM »

And what exactly are you meaning by this? Is it because of his age that his opinion is invalid or something? In which case I'll just start skipping past any comments made by you in future due to how your too old to know what your talking about.

You're more than welcome to do that gpnewhouse.If you think I'm too old to know what I'm talking about then don't read what I write-too easy. :)
Everyone's opinion is valid but how much value you would assign to each depends entirely on you.Wtffactory X may well ride a stable of KTM's and Jap bikes every day of life and have been doing so since a child.On the other hand,it's not that likely.It doesn't mean his opinions don't have merit-simply that they may not be backed up by years of experience.
If you're going to go on talking about how various two strokes were in the 90's that's great-I'm interested in what you have to say as I lived through them too.When I find out you were born in '92,I have my doubts you were cranking laps on RM250's in your diapers and to wax poetic on relative merits or lack thereof of machinery of the day would lead one to believe the info was drawn off the net.
This discussion keeps getting skewed all over the place in a bizarre effort to back up odd premises but the gist of it was a 10 yrold YZ vs a new KTM-not an XR100 or a Maico 490 or 90's RM250 or whatever.
The fact remains,between these two bikes,the KTM has more power,the YZ has better suspension.After 10 years,for the most part,the rest is a push.I've long said suspension is everything and that's why I'd buy the YZ if it was me.

I've long heard that hokey crap about buying a KTM and racing it while having to spend big bucks to mod a jap bike to do the same.I could never see it when I had my KTM's.I had to add hand guards,skidplates etc just the same as my jap bikes.
My EXC had a headlight I took off and a heavier flywheel I machined down.Other than that,it was an mx-er-except for the 18" rear wheel I never liked anyway.I much preferred my SX in the woods.

Around here,I can buy a new YZ250 with brilliant SSS suspension for $7299. I can buy a new 250 SX with the motor of doom for $8999 or the 250 XC for $9199.
Maybe I'd throw a flywheel weight on the YZ and all other mods would be needed for all of them.I don't think the fww costs two grand either.

Choose your poison,they're both good,but spare me the "KTM is the best bike in the world and the rest is junk crap" Some of us know better. :)

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 12:54:29 AM »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:05 AM »
I own a freaking yz250. Imagine that, I'm bad mouthing the bike I take pride in owning. Sigh, if simply finding info online(Even from this forum!) isn't enough for you I guess you'll have to do with out replying to my posts. Oh no, not that!   ;D Have fun old man..

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 01:04:06 AM »
http://www.valleyyamaha-suzuki.com/off-road

My local KTM dealers site is down for maintenance right now but you get the idea.Around here,the KTM's have always been priced higher-even back when I bought mine.I knew I'd have to add stuff but just thought they were cool and wanted something different at the time.If I was in the market for new and the price was the same the decision would be harder but regardless of brand,these days,I'd go for suspension.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:25 AM »
I own a freaking yz250. Imagine that, I'm bad mouthing the bike I take pride in owning. Sigh, if simply finding info online(Even from this forum!) isn't enough for you I guess you'll have to do with out replying to my posts. Oh no, not that!   ;D Have fun old man..

When all else fails and you can't find a response on the net,resort to a little cursing and swearing. :D
And no,it's not enough for me to find it on the net-I can find anything to back up anything there myself.If your info states the fact that's fine but to draw it from there and represent it as your own experience isn't.
Btw,calling me an old man really doesn't hurt my feelings-nice try though. :D
I could choose not to respond to your posts but when someone says something completely wrong I have to respond just in case someone new to all this was reading it and might take it as truth.Silence is often seen as consensus.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »
yeah newhouse i think i understand where youre comming from, but i still have to disagree. it did not take long to see the two stroke was a better mx weapon than the old bsa, triumph, nortons etc. even in its archaic form the two stroke was better than the four stroke thats why two strokes ruled for a time, so i don't think your statement is true.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »
Can't believe how far South this thread has gone. Take away the keyboards, load up all the bikes (old, new, KTM, Yamaha, TM, whatever) and meet up somewhere for some rides and comparisons. Then discuss with a beer (or whatever) in hand over a campfire. All the attitude would go away and we could agree to disagree meaning we are all on the same page. Bench racing 101.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline Camstyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 03:02:43 AM »
Bottom line is no bike is perfect, and 250 2-strokes have been good enough for the past ten years that they are all capable of being great with some minor tweaks. None of them are without weakness. KTM's need suspension work, generally speaking. The Yamaha is down about 3hp to it. You can spend a little or a lot trying to make up for either of these deficiencies.

Myself, I'll take a TM. It's not perfect either but it's as good of a starting point as any of the rest but it has one thing the others don't. It's hand built by some bad ass Italians who are downright passionate about what they do and it's as close to a works bike as you can buy for actually a very competitive price with the others. The biggest problem TM has is I can't decide if I want a 250 or a 300.

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 03:20:38 AM »
Can't believe how far South this thread has gone. Take away the keyboards, load up all the bikes (old, new, KTM, Yamaha, TM, whatever) and meet up somewhere for some rides and comparisons. Then discuss with a beer (or whatever) in hand over a campfire. All the attitude would go away and we could agree to disagree meaning we are all on the same page. Bench racing 101.

You make sense! I bet you can even spell empirical correctly!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:10 AM »
we haven't measured you yet motoxr.HA!

Hang on I'll get the micrometer   :-*
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Did someone mention rum.?
I am in. ;D
I agree with msambuco, Ill bring the TM and the beers, ford can bring the rum and racerx can bring the girls.
Lets ride and talk shit after.
BTW, For the record it is 6 inches, on the slack.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »

Ummm This?

Why all the insults guys? YZ250s a kick ass bike! Both are fantastic bits of machinery! The YZ250 doesn't NEED to go back to the drawing board, it just needs to have a few extra horses IMHO. Its all well and good for hte lites class but its getting a little sad when you're trying to run down 450s... My personal preference is the KTM for several reasons, atleast half of which are personal. For example, the seat height. I'm around 6 foot, i'm no stumpy arse. I often get hamstring cramps on my 2001 CR125 because my knees have to be quite bent to get my feet on the pegs.'

At the end of the day, who gives a f***? YZs an awesome bike, SX is an awesome bike, ride what you like man. If you value unbelievable front suspension that makes you feel like you're floating over a few extra horsepower (which can be corrected with the appropriate pipe, porting etc), run the YZ.

Pick your favourite colour.