Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: MXA: ASK THE MXPERTS: OKAY GENIUSES, SOLVE THIS PROBLEM  (Read 2962 times)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
MXA: ASK THE MXPERTS: OKAY GENIUSES, SOLVE THIS PROBLEM
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
Willy Musgrave is still racing two-strokes.

"Dear MXA,
    MXA is the most critical magazine on the face of the earth. I say that with a sense of admiration because most other motocross media sources are mouthpieces for the status quo. I love what you do with the AMA, Youthstream and bike tests, but now is the time for you geniuses to solve the two-stroke problem. What should the engine size handicaps look like for AMA Pro racing so that two-strokes could compete fairly and people could afford to race on less expensive machinery?

Handicapping is how the sport got in the mess it is in today?and it is in a mess. In order to promote four-stroke engines the AMA gave them a massive displacement advantage. Unfortunately, the AMA guessed wrong on the displacements and four-strokes have now far outstripped the two-strokes they were trying to match. We don?t think that formulas are the way to go. The AMA should change the rules to equalize the displacement in both the 250 and 450 classes. The powers that be could easily write a rule that says, ?The maximum displacement in the 250 class is 250cc regardless of the engine type and in the 450 class it is 450cc regardless of engine type."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:33 AM »
I just wonder if they have anyone there that could make enough noise, or who has enough respect there to where someone of importance at the AMA would listen to them. I say, forget the manufacturer's and make it about the racing, and not about the money.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »
The AMA is Japan's bitch. Japan said this is the size engine we want and the AMA bent over and gave it to them. AMA already knows what people think about the handicapping and can see in places like Australia and new Zealand what the effects of equal displacements are but Japan makes the rules. It could be fixed with the stroke of a pen but the AMA is too gutless.

The thing is though, would Honda really pull out? Pro racing IS advertising. Would Honda really allow every other bike to be represented and not theirs? No way. They would have a hissy fit and move on or see the number of Honda's dwindle on the track and the advertising dollars go down the drain. They called AMA 's bluff and won

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »
The thing is though, would Honda really pull out?

Yes and no.

They would to start with and within a few months they would be back.
The AMA and FIM need to grow some balls and tell Honda to f%%k up.
Set the rules fairly and let who ever wants to enter do so. That includes the small manufactors.
No bull shit production numbers. There has been many cases of bikes not released yet ( Japanese ) but allowed to race in the last couple of years.

As others have said. 125 , 250 & open. That is the classes we need. No handicap in any class.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »
The AMA just approved Kawasaki to race their ZX636 in AMA supersport.

So I think they are still under the spell of the Japanese and will be for some time.

Might be time to reverse the immigration direction, pack your bags and head to the less corrupt and slightly more prosperous Mexico

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
mexico? are you f@$king nuts? i'm going to sweeden to score some babes. mexico...pffft.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
The AMA long ago stepped away from the majority of Racing. AMA Pro, with Road Racing, Motocross, (DCs mob only run it, under contract to AMA Pro /DMG) Flat Track and ATV MX and Hillclimb, are owned by Daytona Motor Group - The France family's company.

The AMA still 'owns' SX, but Feld have control over it - effective ownership till the contract expires, I think around 2020?

That they've stuffed American Road Racing is not new.

The 636 has to carry 20lbs over a 600.

So, 375lbs as against 355lbs. A 675 Triumph Triple, has to carry just 5lbs over a 600cc 4. The Ducati 848 /Corsa 848, has the same weight limit as the 636 Kawi. And there are other, bigger capacity bikes with specific weights in the same class.

So, they haven't bowed to Kawi - Kawi have no intentions of running an official Team in Daytona Supersports, at the moment.

That they so Pissed Off Honda, with their meddling in Road Racing, has made Honda incredibly determined to stand up against them with regards to the MX capacity rules. Feld having control over SX - the 'jewel in the crown' of MC Sports, adds to Hondas intransigence / power.

That's Honda's True Power - their influence with Feld, and their determination to not let DMG do them out of their favoured 'rules'.  They got gazumped in Road Racing - they'll not let that happen again in SX, and MX.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
  125  and   250,s   only  in pro  racing.  I  was  at  Millville  in  91   the   500,s   where   borring   to   watch ,  barrely  enough  500,s   to fill  the gate.  Even  with  Bradshaw, Stanton, Ward, Leshien,  Bayle   the   race   wasn,t   nearly  as good   as the 125 class.   The   500   riders  after  10  minutes   are  tired out  and  just  cruising.

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
Supertrucker,  I was at millville in 87, 88, 89, 90 and 91. 500's were way boring compared to 125 class. In 89 a friend of mine wen't to the port-a-potty and some of his other friend's started shaking the port-a-potty and overturned it with him inside. What a s#*tty mess. If it would of been me, friend's or not their would of been a fist fight. He cleaned off in spring creek. I still laugh about that to this day. 89 donny schmidt kicked butt on a cr125. He did'nt win i sure wish he would have. r.i.p. donny. Gone but not forgotten. 

I got to practice with donny several time's. He was a class act.   KIM

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
agreed

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »
The AMA is Japan's bitch. Japan said this is the size engine we want and the AMA bent over and gave it to them. AMA already knows what people think about the handicapping and can see in places like Australia and new Zealand what the effects of equal displacements are but Japan makes the rules. It could be fixed with the stroke of a pen but the AMA is too gutless.

The thing is though, would Honda really pull out? Pro racing IS advertising. Would Honda really allow every other bike to be represented and not theirs? No way. They would have a hissy fit and move on or see the number of Honda's dwindle on the track and the advertising dollars go down the drain. They called AMA 's bluff and won

This.

No, Honda would not pull out. What has been happening in the last decade is just what happened in the late 60s early seventies when it was glaringly obvious that two strokes were a vastly superior racing engine. Honda fought it with all their might, but in the end they gave up and went with what the market wanted. Honda is a business. They will make and sell what the market demands, but only if there is no other way of getting what they want.