Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Results of the yamaha YZ poll of MXA  (Read 2665 times)

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
Results of the yamaha YZ poll of MXA
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »
Some days ago (maybe a few weeks) there was an article about the YZ250 two stroke in MXA web site and at the bottom was a poll to choose among other things who was the best yamaha rider of all time and to see if yamaha should keep the fight and keep the YZ250 alive.
Well results have arrived, read them at http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-MIDWEEK-REPORT-6842.aspx. It's amazing to see how much love is there for the YZ250. If Yamaha keep making them maybe I'll buy one soon.
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Results of the yamaha YZ poll of MXA
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »
Who else replied to the contest from TSM, I did (Russ Lord) and I saw Ben Leake (BLeake637).  Anyone else?  I didn't win though,,,, dammit!!  How can we make sure the powers that be at Yamaha see this poll, along with Suzuki & Kawasaki???

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
I was thinking about... ummm... reprinting the results on this page!! What do you guys think? Good idea?

By the way everyone should head over to MXA Online, they have a contest to win a set of Fox riding gear. It is a survey and it will take you a few minutes to do, but there are some questions about what you would like to see more and less of in the magazine.

It also asks what web sites you get your information from....

Obviously less 4-stroke stuff and more 2-stroke stuff...

But would you guys do me a favor?? Please write in TSM as one of your favorite sites?? That would be cool if they got a bunch with my site on it...

Thank you!!  :-* :-* :-*
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
Done John.
Everyone here do the survey and put TSM
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
I don't know if anyone noticed but... look at that motor!  It's the size of a sand-flea!  The black paint probably has a lot to do with that appearance, but it really makes that bike look light-weight.

Anyway, it was cool to see all the positive responses - it's clear that there is a big following for the two-stroke that goes far beyond this website. 

Sorry, another tangent coming up.  They posted a picture of Ake Jonnson, who did ride for Yamaha starting in '74 I believe.  Unfortunately, he didn't really have any success with Yamaha, whereas he had quite a lot of it with his previous factory.  In fact, at one race he had the lead and was set to beat DeCoster for the world championship, when his plug wire came off, costing him the race.  When he did switch to Yamaha, legend has it he took the forks off the bike they gave him, and replaced them with a set from his old bike, prompting a little fight which resulted in Yamaha improving their forks the next year.  I'll let you guys guess which little factory in Pfaffingen, Germany he was with before Yammie.[/tangent]

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
I completed the MXA survey, with a little shout out to TSM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:13:23 PM by eprovenzano »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
I like the old Yamaha yellow
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
I agree.  The old yellow with the photo-negative bar pattern thing was cool.  Unfortunately, Suzuki also ran yellow at the same time and both seemed pretty intent on sticking to it (except in Europe, where I believe the YZ came white).  Eventually, though, Yamaha went white everywhere, and then eventually went blue.  It's nice that they have that color, because it really does look quite nice, but I would have preferred Suzuki to go blue and Yamaha keep that pattern going.  It was their trademark, like the grille of an Aston Martin or the livery of Union Pacific trains.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?