Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2001 Honda CR250 Frame Crack - downtube off steering stem  (Read 4069 times)

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
2001 Honda CR250 Frame Crack - downtube off steering stem
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:45:16 AM »
Well...it took some time to happen, five years, but if finally happened...my frame cracked.

Here's a little history with it.

In 2007 I was racing my '01 Honda CR250 and wrecked it...4th gear pinned. Well, as the bike went down it jammed the lower triple tree to the right, crushed the throttle cable, embedding the cable into the upper down tube.

For a number of years the damage from the cable was visible but no cracks formed from the damage. Well...fast forward to today and while looking over the bike and noticed a cracked that formed over the damage and must have happened from the last ride.

To make a long store even longer has anyone successfully repaired a Honda CR Frame? Does anyone know what series aluminum it is? I've seen lots of threads on the aluminum framed Honda's, especially the CR500AF, but no one really going into any details in what the base metal is or which filler rod was used.

Here are two pictures of the crack; the lighting isn't all that great but it should give a good idea of the crack. These down tubes appear to be of a real thin wall thickness; around 0.032 inches.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
Weld that sucker, doesn't look to bad. This is the problem with aluminum frames, they don't age well due to rigidity.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Well...that's the gist of the whole thing...what filler rod? A4XXX, A5XXX, A6XXX or A7XXX?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »
It's been my experience that steel frames crack from the outside in and aluminum frames from the inside out so you may just be seeing the "Tip of the ice berg" so to speak. That crash created a stress riser that has hastened the demise of your frame. You may have reached the fatigue limit of your frame, I wouldn't personally trust it anymore, and it may be time for a new one.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »
First thing I would do is stop drill the ends of the crack then I would weld it up or even rivet on a doubler and inspect before and after each ride, but that's just me  :D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:56:07 AM »
First thing I would do is stop drill the ends of the crack then I would weld it up or even rivet on a doubler and inspect before and after each ride, but that's just me  :D

As mentioned before...before I weld it up I need to know what aluminum alloy this frame is made of? Knowing this would help me decide which alloy to use as my filler metal which, in theory, would help reduce the likelihood of inducing any more fatigue in this area.

As far as the repairs, I've been kicking around a few ideas on how I'm going to repair it. I've got a buddy who can NDT it to check where the crack begins and ends so that's not a problem. One idea is to groove it out and weld it up or stop drill it, groove it out, weld it up, and weld a doubler over the crack. Either way, it'll need to be looked at after each ride just to make sure the crack doesn't reform.

Then again, SachsGS makes a good point...it may be time to cut my loses on the frame and just replace it.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
I would have a crack (<---- Hehehehe! See what I did there :P ) at either taking it to an experienced aluminium welder and seeing if he can determine the base metal. Or you could just send honda an email. But they probably wont tell you cos its a two stroke.

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »
WTFactoryX thanks for the link. Well, armed with the link WTFactoryX provided, it's likely to be 6061-T6, we may be able to perform an eddy current inspection, http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/EddyCurrents/cc_ec_index.htm, on the frame to validate it is 6061-T6 and we're off to the races; so to speak.

Or you could just send honda an email. But they probably wont tell you cos its a two stroke.

You're probably right; they might try to sell me one of their "upgrades"...of which I'll pass...I like my ring-dings.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
From what I understand the Honda frame is made from a 7000 series self hardening aluminum alloy. In the event that it is 6061 T6 the frame will have to be annealed after repairs and then re heat treated to get the T6 strength back. In light of the fact that the damage is in the steering head area it is essential that the repairs are done correctly. Having the front end snap off and your melon driven into terra firma at 50 mph usually has dire consequences.

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
From what I understand the Honda frame is made from a 7000 series self hardening aluminum alloy. In the event that it is 6061 T6 the frame will have to be annealed after repairs and then re heat treated to get the T6 strength back. In light of the fact that the damage is in the steering head area it is essential that the repairs are done correctly. Having the front end snap off and your melon driven into terra firma at 50 mph usually has dire consequences.

I couldn't agree more with the past part of your statement. I know all my safety gear will do it's job but if I can avoid doing a real world test I'd like to avoid that...besides...the older we get the longer it takes to heal. I remember a debate on this site and was hoping Bearoso would chime in but he hasn't so far. We'll still do an eddy current and see what the results are. I got a replacement frame but I'd really like to see if the original one can be repaired with decent results.