Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The phantom air screw  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:26 AM »
As the title suggests, my air screw on my 2001 honda CR125 decided to disappear. I only just noticed it was gone now, god knows how long its been missing for. I haven't been exactly gentle to it the poor little engine  ???

According to my local dealer whom I just paid $32 for a new one (What the F**K) There was meant to be a small spring on it. I always found the screw the be very loose and mine didn't have a spring on it. Thats why it fell out I'm guessing.

Anyways my worry is what the damage to the engine is. All the way out is leaning out the mixture after all  :-X If someone could post up a video of a 125 pinging so I've got something to compare to that would be great. I'm also concerned that the heaps of dirt around the carb area would have gotten in through the place where the screw should be. I'll be pulling the cylinder today to have a closer look for debris. I checked the progress of the top end about 2 hours of riding time ago and it was in good order. Good results on the compression test. 145 PSI over 7 full kicks.

Cheers for your time and any advice you can provide.

I'll post up some pictures later of my top end.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
UPDATE:

This was an excellent start. I mean I already knew my jetting was rich, but when I saw this I was relieved that it wasn't white as snow.

Sorry for the awful shot.

If people could run their eyes over these crap photos and just tell me if I've missed anything, That would be great. Oh and by the way, I did rotate the circlip on the left side (when sitting on the bike) to a more secure position.

By my eyes, everything here is fine and dandy. But those with more experience will likely see something that I've missed.

If theres one thing we've all learned from this experience, its that Stuart will never be a photographer :P

Cheers guys.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
You've got the top end off, put a piston kit in it. Simple.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
You've got the top end off, put a piston kit in it. Simple.

For real? Theres a rule that I live by... One of many. That rule is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Theres nothing wrong with this piston as far as I can see and its still showing good compression. Why would I replace it?

Offline arnego2

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
Because the pistons live their life in a pretty harsh environment and can fall apart when pushing their lifespan.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
Since you've got her open, at least replace the ring(s)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »
Since you've got her open, at least replace the ring(s)

Shes done ten hours now according to my calculations, when mxparts reopens I was going to buy a new ring for it.

Because the pistons live their life in a pretty harsh environment and can fall apart when pushing their lifespan.

Its done 10 hours.

Offline vetman

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
gotta agree with everyone here as well ,ring minimum or piston,check the inside of your barrel for any scouring .In future if your ever worried about dirt getting through a great way is take your carb of and look in the barrel end if you see anything in there youve got troublealso have a look at your power valve they can get clogged up youll see if it moves freely or not.If your going to go new piston look into a forged piston ie.wossner,weisco or something sililar theyll last so much longer than standard cast pistons so long as you warm them up properly of course

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The phantom air screw
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
gotta agree with everyone here as well ,ring minimum or piston,check the inside of your barrel for any scouring .In future if your ever worried about dirt getting through a great way is take your carb of and look in the barrel end if you see anything in there youve got troublealso have a look at your power valve they can get clogged up youll see if it moves freely or not.If your going to go new piston look into a forged piston ie.wossner,weisco or something sililar theyll last so much longer than standard cast pistons so long as you warm them up properly of course

The current piston IS as wossner... Hence why I'm not replacing it. Cos it is ridiculous to replace a 10 hour old piston that has absolutely no signs of damage. If it had gouges and scoring I would've replaced it. I've put another 5 hours on the same piston and its still going very strong.