Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: not much power to coil  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
not much power to coil
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
hey i have recently had no spark on my bike, checked power to coil and its getting power when its gettiing kicked over, so i bought a new coil and still no go, checked the windings on the pulse generator thing, and its ok, the thing it is that the power is very low to the coil or even from the magneto, could it possibly be the magneto or cdi box i would have thought if these went there would be no power generated whatsoever ?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: not much power to coil
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Entirely possible,you don't need a break to cause electrical issues. An overly high resistance is more than enough.If you get the specs to ck it all out,make sure the parts are at the temperatures given as this will cause quite a variance in readings.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
Many years ago I experienced an intermittent electrical issue, that was a real challenge. It also makes for some tall tale bench racing sessions!  :P :P

Not to bore you with all the details, it ended up that someone had tested one of the coils by using a tester that "pierced" the wire. What they did was to put a piece of black electrical tape over said hole... well after replacing almost every electrical component on the bike (some more than once) it was found that only 1 strand of wire attached the generator coil to the rest of the system. When the bike got hot, the "Mysterious" problem would rear it's ugly head!!

Once the break in the wire was found and sliced together, the problem was solved.

My suggestion is that you go through the entire wiring harness and make sure all the connections are clean and secure. Also visually inspect the wiring to see if it has worn through and could possibly be shorting out on something..

This is the least expensive initial troubleshooting that you can do. It's something that I would examine before I did anything else.

Good luck!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
ok i have metered out the coil resistance and the stator resistance and they measure perfect, i have taken out the dodgy old 6 pin plug from the magneto and soldered and heat shrinked all connections, i have checked the voltage out of the magneto and am only getting 1.6 volts where it should be over 20 by the book! there is basically zero voltage coming out of the cdi unit to the coil. im guessing its defo the magneto, i would have thought these things would have been bullet proof! where sell's these the cheapest i dont wanna get a genuine one cos it will cost me a million dollars haha

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
Check for corrosion on the plates sand if nessasary also the magnets, did you go mud riding or pond skipping? was it runnig good the day before? when ckecking wires for continuity shake and move them about look for variations. MAGNETOS need to be clean and shiny if any obstructions are between them (magnet & pick-up) the pulse will degrade.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
borrowing a flywheel puller today , i'll have a look :)

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
pulled the magneto out and its fingered, priced up an aftermarket one and its $240AU havn't priced a genuine one yet but it will bet exxy, gonna get a price on getting it re-wound, its only got 4 coils and i doubt it would take long to do, hopefully i can get out of it under $100  :)