Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Sachs Skyhook Suspension  (Read 5642 times)

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
Average off road rider? Yes. Professional racing? No. Where is the fine line of who actually is doing the riding? The bike or the rider? F1 had this suspension in the early 90's and was removed due to this fact. It will simply allow people to ride faster, and that isn't always a good thing. Modern GP has 135lb(If not lighter) riders on 200hp 1000cc bikes. How? Traction control...

i have a 200hp 1000 cc full superbike with out traction control , its a lot of fun to ride
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
All of the technology is cool, and will make bikes go even faster... even with less skilled riders. Todays bikes are fast enough, take out the "fight" for traction and add "auto adjust suspension" and the tracks will just get more crazy to keep up.  This would both add cost to an already expensive sport, and add more danger for serious injuries when it becomes common for your local track to have 4th gear 160ft quads... like this one

Like i said, more danger for SERIOUS injury. No doubt that some of the technology could help safety, but When you have to go bigger and bigger to push it to the limits it just makes your mistakes that much more serious.

Jumps have been getting bigger and bigger ever since motocross began. Modern bikes can do much larger jumps than the old short travel suspension and they do them more safely. Besides as bikes develop so will the safety gear that is used when riding them.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Average off road rider? Yes. Professional racing? No. Where is the fine line of who actually is doing the riding? The bike or the rider? F1 had this suspension in the early 90's and was removed due to this fact. It will simply allow people to ride faster, and that isn't always a good thing. Modern GP has 135lb(If not lighter) riders on 200hp 1000cc bikes. How? Traction control...

i have a 200hp 1000 cc full superbike with out traction control , its a lot of fun to ride
;D

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
All of the technology is cool, and will make bikes go even faster... even with less skilled riders. Todays bikes are fast enough, take out the "fight" for traction and add "auto adjust suspension" and the tracks will just get more crazy to keep up.  This would both add cost to an already expensive sport, and add more danger for serious injuries when it becomes common for your local track to have 4th gear 160ft quads... like this one

Like i said, more danger for SERIOUS injury. No doubt that some of the technology could help safety, but When you have to go bigger and bigger to push it to the limits it just makes your mistakes that much more serious.

Jumps have been getting bigger and bigger ever since motocross began. Modern bikes can do much larger jumps than the old short travel suspension and they do them more safely. Besides as bikes develop so will the safety gear that is used when riding them.

This would be due to modern suspension. Old bikes can be launched as well. And as for safety gear, sure didn't help Jantz out any...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=snXBBpl3oEw

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

there are some other videos on youtube , one on board view and yes the jump is big but its not huge and has a safe landing

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
That's pretty cool technolgy .It would be great to have your suspension  controlled that way.I doubt with the complexity all of it will ever find it's way on to a dirt bike but just like the F1 cars and your family sedan,much of it trickles down eventually,and we are the better for it. 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »
As delivered on a street bike, Sachs Skyhook suspension has four different settings that can be selected for the type of ride/action a rider wants.

Back around 1997 KTM introduced the PDS system and it was lighter,cheaper,easier to maintain and allowed for a better airbox design (more power). The rate rise in this system was achieved hydraulically rather then mechanically as in a conventional single shock rising rate set up. I wonder if with a system like the Sachs we'll see a rear suspension that is non linkage with programmable electronic/hydraulic rate rise?

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
Ford, F1 no longer uses this. Matter of fact, not since 93 haha. This was due to some team not being able to afford the added expense, and to keep drivers like michael schumacher from abusing it(Cheating Bastard)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
Lol,yeah,I know,maybe I wrote that wrong.I was just referring to F1 technology eventually trickling down to regular autos.It's a test bed for automakers,and has been for years.That doesn't mean regular cars get the exact systems used on F1 cars,but parts thereof and the technology certainly make their way to production lines.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Im pretty sure these forks have been around for a while now, the pikes peak multistrada's had these forks last year didnt they?????

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 01:50:14 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that advancing technology is a good thing?

I disagree. I believe every automobile/motorcycle owner should adjust their ignition advance manually with a lever. If it is good enough for a Ford Model T, or an old Indian, it should be good enough for you or those highfalootin perfessional racers.

Electronics are the devil!

/getoffmylawn

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
Don't forget to retard the ignition when you use the hand crank to fire the beast up.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »
Bring back vacuum wipers as well. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sachs Skyhook Suspension
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 07:48:13 AM »
Im pretty sure these forks have been around for a while now, the pikes peak multistrada's had these forks last year didnt they?????

No they are not , they have only 3 setting that you can change for different conditions , they are not self correcting or does the system have a brain to work out the best setting