Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: ban the 4 stroke face book  (Read 5350 times)

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
ban the 4 stroke face book
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
not my idea but good for a laugh .In the UK all are tracks are closing so fast mx will be over for the next generation.  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110358865665277&v=info   ;)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: ban the 4 stroke face book
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
I don't believe in banning anything for sale.  I know it's not serious, but still, we have to be careful not to appear like a bunch of crazed Mohawk-haired lunatics about this.  If the four-stroke legion gets it in their heads that the two-stroke militia wants to take their thumpers away, it's probably going to get ugly.  Just imagine the inverse, a two-stroke ban.

But of course, it's always nice to have a good laugh.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:19:31 AM »
its opened the topic back up in the uk.I  can hear for strokes down my local track and have had people asking why are the 4ts so loud, most of the tracks have closed down in Herefordshire and people are travailing miles to ride are track but it wont be long until are track is closed .If i had the chance i would ban 4ts from my local track.It will start in the states soon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:09:24 PM by meger z »

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
My buddy has a private track on his own land out of town, and we rode their all the time on our 2-strokes, some times 4-5 bikes at a time.  Then he invited a couple guys with piped CRF450's, the neighbors called the cops, and that started a huge mess.  There is no noise ordinance in the town, so the cops could not shut him down.  3 or 4 of the neighbors got together and sued him.  It got settled out of court, but now we can only ride 2 hours at a time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:00 to 7:00, no weekends at all.  4 strokes should be limited to 90 dB at wide open throttle!!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »
4 strokes should be limited to 90 dB at wide open throttle!!

^Now that would be awesome!! 8)
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
after the revolution when i take office, my first act will be to enforce new mx displacement rules:

450cc 2 strokes against 250cc 4 strokes
250cc 2 strokes against 125cc 4 strokes

oh, and just to further punish them, NO factory Honda 2 strokes will be allowed, no matter how much they beg and whine. and any 4 stroke rider found to have a louder bike than the competing 2 strokes will be flogged with a whip dipped in premix  ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
I believe that all the rules should be impartial on two vs four.  The decibel limit is a good idea, because it allows us to fix the noise problem without targetting the technology itself.  If a four stroke can be made competitive with equal noise (and equal everything else) then it's deserved its spot at the starting gate.  If the technology cannot meet the needs of neighbors and racers without a handicap in-place, then it should be allowed to die quietly, or find another market with different preferences.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
If we had a good solid rule on four stroke sound, I would be fine leaving the classes 250/450, and 144/250, because, the four strokes would probably suffer a bit.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
That's the biggest problem with the enactment of this crazy rule is that now the two-stroke fans, in an effort to make it fair for the four-strokes, do not want the rules changed to equal displacement...

While I understand this line of thinking, it just goes to show how this rule has affected the minds of racers and fans all over the world.

Geeez... how the hell will they ever straighten this mess out???
Life is short.

Offline golding17

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
i created this group, was just about to post it on here but got beaten to it  ;D

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
sorry mate i thought id post and see .well done keep it up.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »
I still stand by what I say.  I think the rules should be totally independent of the debate.  Both types of engine should have to be equal in displacement, noise requirements, and any other regulations that may apply.  If the rules are THE SAME for both engines, then the better engine will prevail.

But, I think the four-stroke fans would bring up the following point.  Why do we choose displacement as our standard?  Why not regulate them to be same-horsepower instead?  I can't really think of a philosophical argument that makes displacement an intrinsically better unit of standardization than horsepower, except that it's more common.  For many years, motocross was equal-displacement.  NASCAR runs equal-displacement for all competitors.  Formula-One runs equal-displacement.  Now, it's also true that none of these sports have two-strokes at the start line to mess things up, but I think the core thinking is the same.

When you start with equal displacement, the tuner becomes like a painter in some painting contest or something, with the same canvas as his competitors.  His goal is to make the best painting (power) he can.  If you regulate the horsepower instead, then you're telling every painter to create the same painting using as small a canvas as he can manage.  Which sounds like the more artistic and interesting pursuit?  Which is a better test of painter and paint?

So, I guess I did find a philosophical argument, after all.  Yay!

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

;D ;D
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
Gotta love Bob Ross.  There was a point in time where my internet died completely and all I had for entertainment was old Bob.  He never did put a bike into any of his scenes, if I recall.  I'd probably spend half of the time on the picture working on a two-inch-high '77 AW400 leaned against a tree.
:D

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
He didn't put any bikes into the pictures because they aren't happy enough, actually some are downright MEAN!
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.