Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2010 2 stroke predictions coming true  (Read 10373 times)

Offline wexy21

• Junior
  • 2nd place is 1st loser
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 2 stroke predictions coming true
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »
"Of course they also have a rule called homologation,"

good points above but I do believe in this rule....it's the same in all motorsports.  It gave us the Ford Thunderbolt (my fa'v car) and the Daytona!  Thank God for that rule! lol.  Sucks for the little guy....but that rule has been around longer then some of the little guys.  It would be cool to see ATK and Maico compete, and all the others, but it'll never happen.  It would however make people like the riders more then their bikes...There would be so many bike choices to pick that fans would focus more on how well the rider does.  Atleast that's what I thnk.
02 Cr125
02 Crf450
03 Polaris 250 Trailblazor
98 Buell S1WL

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
"Of course they also have a rule called homologation,"

good points above but I do believe in this rule....it's the same in all motorsports.  It gave us the Ford Thunderbolt (my fa'v car) and the Daytona!  Thank God for that rule! lol.  Sucks for the little guy....but that rule has been around longer then some of the little guys.  It would be cool to see ATK and Maico compete, and all the others, but it'll never happen.  It would however make people like the riders more then their bikes...There would be so many bike choices to pick that fans would focus more on how well the rider does.  Atleast that's what I thnk.

While I do understand where you are coming from in regards to the rule, it is not in the spirit of competition. Not only that but it gives both the manufacturers and the general public the wrong impression about the true value of the products they manufacture.

You need look no further than the whole debacle that is called the American car industry. It seems as though they decided to build vehicles that they could make the highest profit on and did not really do the R&D needed to build great cars. So the manufacturers from other countries made huge headway into the market, in effect taking the lions share of the sales away from the Big guys....

But the Big guys didn't seem to care because they were making big profits. But when your thinking is so small market shifts have a huge effect, so when gas was selling at almost $5 per gallon, which vehicles do you think were left on dealers lots? Yup the big SUV money makers...

In the meantime Toyota became the number one selling car in America...

Why, because they made cars that the American people wanted at the time.

The same with motocross machines, how do we know we are getting the very best? We don't...

Just as an aside the homologation rule used to be set at 400 machines of each size had to be imported to the country. Now that has been lowered, although no one from the AMA is talking about it... from reports I've heard that the limit is now 50!! This is in the realm of where the smaller manufacturers could compete...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
i was at the track yesterday and there were plenty of 2 strokes. this is the first time in the last 5 years i can honestly say it was a close 50/50 split. my buddies and i counted. of course there's always the chance that they all happened to show up that day at that track.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
Going back a few posts, I have to disagree with you guys saying that we can't have a 125 two-stroke against a 125 four-stroke.  My approach is that there's no point in trying to make the two fair.  It'd be like trying to make steam engines and diesel engines have a fair economic footing by deciding how much free money to give to steam operators.  If you stop the flow of handicap money, the steamers wouldn't be able to compete.  It would be unfair.  But you know what?  That doesn't really matter.  Morally and logically, all engines should be put on an equal footing to compete, whether economically on the rails or through rules on the track.  If someone comes onto the MX scene with a Wankel rotary engine and wipes out all the two-strokes at equal-displacement, that'll suck for us, but we will have been beaten fair and square.  There is a big difference between fair rules and fair results.  Fair rules lead to relentless competition to bring better and better products.  Fair results means relentless pushing to convince Big Brother that the Other Guy's bike is too good.

As I've said elsewhere, I think it should break down this way.

125 Class:  Any naturally-aspirated, single-cylinder internal combustion engine less than or equal to 125cc displacement, must homologate.
250 Class:  Any naturally-aspirated, single-cylinder internal combustion engine greater than 125cc and less than or equal to 250cc displacement, must homologate.
500 Class:  Any naturally-aspirated, single-cylinder internal combustion engine greater than 250cc and less than or equal to 500cc displacement, must homologate.
Open Class:  Run what ya brung.  Any displacement, any engine type, any number of cylinders.  Jets, electrics, turbocharged, Buick V-8s, whatever you think will work.  No traction control, no homologation.

The Open Class would be incredible.  You'd have a massive search to find the ultimate go-fast holy grail.  DI two-stroke?  Turbocharged rotary?  Stroked 426 Hemi?  Who knows?!  It would be battled out on the track in lap times and hospital rooms.  Anything too crazy would hurt lap times and maybe lead to bad press (if the bike blows the rider into goo, for example) so they'd be cautious to make 8500hp bikes.  It would bring motocross back into the spotlight as a properly innovative and cutting-edge sport.  I think the technology might be able to exceed F1.  And with the other classes, homologation would be set on a factor other than raw numbers, so that smaller manufacturers could participate.  Perhaps old NASCAR style, with a bike or two per dealership required production, although that'd have to be adjusted with internet sales.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline reefmuncher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »