Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Single ring vs. double ring pistons  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Single ring vs. double ring pistons
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »

Just how much and for how long would it keep compression up? The rings  wear at a simlar rate or is the second one there to just pick up the slack somehow? When a ring costs $20 odd and takes an hour or so to replace I don't understand the logic. That keeping a component way past it's life is somehow more cost effective?

The purpose of the rings is to seal. If there are 2, then it will seal better, for longer than 1. Even if both rings are worn similar to the single, 2 rings will still seal better. If it is sealing, the amount of wear is not important, and you are not using it past it's life.

yes but its a matter of diminishing returns.

if you have a ring with a 99% seal at operating RPM, then only 1% would pass through to the second ring for it to seal another 99% of that 1% which passed through the first ring.
I cant remember what the ring sealing factor is but its up there somewhere.

so the second ring is completely useless if you ask me.

The ring is considered past its life once its sealing rate begings to decrease, therefore more reliance is put on the second ring.

Whereas if you put a new ring in as soon as compression begins to drop you can retain maximum performance.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

The purpose of the rings is to seal. If there are 2, then it will seal better, for longer than 1. Even if both rings are worn similar to the single, 2 rings will still seal better. If it is sealing, the amount of wear is not important, and you are not using it past it's life.

How does a ring seal? It's not by radial tension it's by gas pressure behind the ring. Second ring is just along for the ride, it get SFA gas pressure and normaly requires an expander under it to be even slightly effective with sealing cooling or anything else.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Don't forget that the rings are pinned and offset from one another - so as the first ring wears and the end gap opens up the flame front will hit the second ring.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 05:32:56 AM »
Once that happens its time to change your rings mate ;)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
most girls like the double ring.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
There's theory and then there is reality. I just repaired a neighbour's YZ 125 and have seen such a worn out bike in my life. :-X

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
I might be able to one up that yz125, at work a crf 50 came in without an oil plug in it (or oil for that matter) and had been run without either...