Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Parents making me do a High School sport :/  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
Parents making me do a High School sport :/
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:29 AM »
I have been telling my parents for quite some time now that I want to focus on one sport and one sport only, actually it's not just a sport to me, it's a lifestyle. But they are forcing me to do a High School sport and I have played them before but I don't like them. I would like them to support me more in mx but it probably won't happen. Like I met a kid at the local track a few weeks ago and his family put everything into him and his dream. Takes him riding 2-3 times a week, I hardly ever go in a month. I know it's kind of a snobby thing to say my parents don't put much into me and motocross. But it's just a thought of how much better I'd be if they did, like Adam Cianciarulo. I know they do put money into me and I love them so much for it, but I mean yeah, it's hard to explain. (I'm not snobby)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:43 AM »
Do both
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:03:39 AM »
Riff Raff sums it all up well...do both. In the end endurance will be the biggest thing to work on. Playing a high school sport will do that. Now it is true that pro riders ride a lot but they cross train even more, biking, running, swimming, weightlifting, etc. The sport in high school will not only help with MX but it will also help the rest of your life.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »
I wouldn't be too quick to idolise too many top pro athlete's.
Many train 6-7 days a week , are home schooled and don't have much of a life outside of their sport.
Sure they seem to live the dream with fame and fortune but most are either washed up or the body has given up by the time they are 30. With most of us living past 80 that leaves alot of life left to survive outside of the sport. ( I am talking about most sport's here. )
For every x pro you see on tv doing well in business/commentry/coaching etc I bet there are 10-20-30 that have fallen on hard times. You just don't hear about them.
It is fine to have hero's but most people will not/can not get to the level of them.
A good grounding in life from a young age is better for all of us.
Go to school , play sport , make lots of friends and if the planets align and you have the necessary skills you may make it in your chosen sport.
Just remember that all teenagers think that their parents are wrong. ;) It's not untill you reach 30+ that you realise they may have been right.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
Dito TMKIWI. The great Preston Petty, pioneer and Champion in cars and on bikes, creator of ABS plastic as used on everything, starting on motorcycles and spreading to every part of our lives as well as many other inventions...lives in a bus on the side of some guys shop.

Sports should always be a hobby, something to shoot for but don't bet your future on it. If you are serious about MX (or other motorized sport), having a good background in training is especially important. I don't know where you are at but...

Skiing uses the same muscle groups.

Cycling and/or Running and/or swimming are a must for any sport. It wouldn't hurt to have a good education there.

Jeff Ward (and Super Hunky!) were power lifters. Wardy hardley did any endurance training other than riding.

Soccer will build endurance and teach you periferal vision (not how to spell!) - good for woods riders and in selecting lines quickly.

Golf and Tennis will teach you how to meet rich friends.

Rugby will teach you how take a beating ...and to drink beer.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
I wouldn't be too quick to idolise too many top pro athlete's.
Many train 6-7 days a week , are home schooled and don't have much of a life outside of their sport.
Sure they seem to live the dream with fame and fortune but most are either washed up or the body has given up by the time they are 30. With most of us living past 80 that leaves alot of life left to survive outside of the sport. ( I am talking about most sport's here. )
For every x pro you see on tv doing well in business/commentry/coaching etc I bet there are 10-20-30 that have fallen on hard times. You just don't hear about them.
It is fine to have hero's but most people will not/can not get to the level of them.
A good grounding in life from a young age is better for all of us.
Go to school , play sport , make lots of friends and if the planets align and you have the necessary skills you may make it in your chosen sport.
Just remember that all teenagers think that their parents are wrong. ;) It's not untill you reach 30+ that you realise they may have been right.
I am completely serious about MX, every morning I get up at 7am and ride my bike across town and back, and then do sit ups and pushups, etc. And honestly I wished I was home schooled so I can focus more on it, I'm not saying my parents are wrong, cause there really is no right or wrong. And yes I have broken a couple bones riding, crashed about 15+ times, dumped the bike practicing corners about 30+ times. I race in 125 C and yes, this sport is pretty much my life. And just like all the pros say, I don't know why I do it, it's really hard to explain but I do. And my 2 inspirations in this sport is adam cianciarulo and a local 15 year old rider.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
Well I can kind of relate to you, I am almost done with high school, but my Mom was neither supportive or unsupportive. I stuck with mx through high school, but I didn't play any other sports. Luckily where I lived I had tons of trails right across my road, so I have become a pretty decent woods racer/rider. Anyways, high school goes by really fast weather or not you thInk so, so do the sport in addition to mx, when school is done and you have your own license you can drive yourself to the track and do as much mx as you want.

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
That's easy man, do what they say and do any high school sport, but play the worst you can, and then they realize that you suck and belong to a mx track, everytime you ride, you gotta behave for them to see that you deserve more to pursuit a dream.

btw, how old are you?

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
That's easy man, do what they say and do any high school sport, but play the worst you can, and then they realize that you suck and belong to a mx track, everytime you ride, you gotta behave for them to see that you deserve more to pursuit a dream.

btw, how old are you?
haha that's a good idea actually :D
and I'm 14, 15 in 6 months

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »

btw, how old are you?
haha that's a good idea actually :D
and I'm 14, 15 in 6 months

i wish to be 14 again, i had such a blast at your age. Just an advise kid, enjoy your childhood, don't do drugs and get focus at school, even that's boring sometimes, one day when you start to work, you'll figure that school was the best time of your life... you're only young once. Enjoy your life, twist the throttle and smoke them all!!!

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
I've just finished high school this year and will be going to college shortly and if you'll take advice off me I'd say to do the high school sports. I was put in the school rugby team and enjoyed EVERY minute of it, I personally think that the rugby helped me become a better rider as when you've had to run straight at someone twice your size and then dive for their legs to take them out a few times, you start to become almost fearless on the motocross track and start taking lines that barely miss other bikes or obstacles just as you do when running for the try line in a game of rugby.