Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 01 YZ125 Project Bike: Part 1  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
01 YZ125 Project Bike: Part 1
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »
01 yz125 Project Build: Part 1
The Plan

Hey guys, before I start the topic I want to say TSM inspired me to rebuild my bike apposed to selling it and getting another. I am going to be doing a series on my new project bike. It's an 01 yz125 that I plan on making brand new. Going to make some videos and take pictures of my progress as I move along, and make a new topic when I have a considerable amount of changes. Right now I have no changes just going to give a list of problems, parts, and whatnot about the bike. (Oh and give you guys some pictures) And also I got the bike of craiglist for pretty much free, we traded my 04 ttr125 for it  :D, the guy said it just sat in the previous owners garage for the longest time and it didn't even run when he got it, but he fixed it up and at least go it running.

Problems (There are probably more, this is just of what we know):
Forkseals need to be changed bad
Forks and rear suspension need to be serviced in general
Rear suspension needs to be dialed in and replaced
petcock leaks
idle is too high
shifter shaft seals are blown
tubes need new routing
need rebuild on top and low end
plastics are banged up
upper triple clamp mounts look like someone took a hammer to them
needs a return spring for the kit starter (it won't even return anymore)

aftermarket parts as of now (they all came with it):
FMF Q Series silencer (replacing for Procircuit)
FMF Gold Series Fatty (Dinged and rusted, getting procircuit platinum)
Answer fat bars (getting protaper contour cr mid bends

(any ideas on what to do with it would help to, parts and what not, suggestions!

I plan on pretty much rebuilding the whole bike to new, so stay tuned! Here are some pictures too

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:41:26 AM »
most of what to do is based on your budget.

motor: id take the motor to a local builder or ship to some big names such as procircuit or even eric gorr. have them do the top and bottom end and the seals everywher on the engine. if you have the extra cash while you have it torn down have the tuner do a port and polish/blue printing or even a big bore kit from 134/139/144. i would even buy a new clutch kit this old and beaten the plates are worn down and the basket might even be notched so id suggest a new clutch basket kit. barnett or even hinson.

susp: 1) you can take the stock suspension to a tuner they can revalve them and refurb them and theyll do pretty good. or 2) search ebay of local listings for 05 ssos forks or 06/newer sss forks (which is standard on new yz's) it would require matching triple clamps mind you and also the 05-newer shock and get a rebuild on them/revalve.

if you want a little extra flavor you can get the carb bored and tuned

tires pick your flavor

your pipe should still be good even with the dent, theres been evidence that a dent actually improved performance, i would get a shorty silencer for it

id get a vforce3 or even a boyesen reed block

also to have the bike run that much better run 50/50 vp 110 or even straight.

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:53:51 AM »
most of what to do is based on your budget.

motor: id take the motor to a local builder or ship to some big names such as procircuit or even eric gorr. have them do the top and bottom end and the seals everywher on the engine. if you have the extra cash while you have it torn down have the tuner do a port and polish/blue printing or even a big bore kit from 134/139/144. i would even buy a new clutch kit this old and beaten the plates are worn down and the basket might even be notched so id suggest a new clutch basket kit. barnett or even hinson.

susp: 1) you can take the stock suspension to a tuner they can revalve them and refurb them and theyll do pretty good. or 2) search ebay of local listings for 05 ssos forks or 06/newer sss forks (which is standard on new yz's) it would require matching triple clamps mind you and also the 05-newer shock and get a rebuild on them/revalve.

if you want a little extra flavor you can get the carb bored and tuned

tires pick your flavor

your pipe should still be good even with the dent, theres been evidence that a dent actually improved performance, i would get a shorty silencer for it

id get a vforce3 or even a boyesen reed block

also to have the bike run that much better run 50/50 vp 110 or even straight.
Yeah we are going to take it to the shop this weekend and have them strip it and list off all the necessary parts that need to be replaced, get that done first. Then we are getting the whole suspension setup replaced with hopefully RG3 or Factory Connection, and getting it tuned by our local guy Joel Burkett. Then some engine modification like the Reeds, maybe an athena 144 kit. after that hoping to replace the whole exhaust system to make it look good and I hear procircuit performs better. Handle bars and triple clamps, MX51 tires front/rear. after that really its accessories, powder coat frame, asv levers, new gripper ama seat cover, new plastics, graphics, number plate backgrounds, Clutch cover, rad louver decals, renthal kevlar grips, new Solid Black Excel Rims with blue nipples, silver black spokes and blue hubs, all gonna happen eventually.

(oh and my mix I'm running right now is Amsoil 51/50 I think. It kind of makes the exhaust drip oil a little, I don't know a good mix that won't drip oil)

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:34 AM »
Hi Logan

I have done exactly that except my bike is a yz 250 01.I replaced everything on the bike from the wheels bearings up. it cost me about $3500.00 all up if i want rims plus rims. the down side was I spent too much. In the process I bought another bike a CR 250 built by West Coast Choppers for $6500.00 This bike is brand new and they claim to have spent over $30,000.00 on it. it arrives here soon. what I am saying is look carefully what is out there you may very well pick up a great bargain for little more than your total rebuild. My Yz is now a spare bike its not worth it for me to sell. probably get about $2500-$3000 max after spending all that cash plus all my time. I do not need to sell it. just saying my yz owes me over $6000,00. cannot put a price on enthusiasm but reality is if I came across the Honda first , i would rather have sold my bike as it was for $1000.00 to put towards the Honda or spent a couple of years rebuilding it here and there.

have a good look what is available you will bw surprised what is out there.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »

(oh and my mix I'm running right now is Amsoil 51/50 I think. It kind of makes the exhaust drip oil a little, I don't know a good mix that won't drip oil)

That's not the mix, your bike is jetted too rich or the silencer packing is sacked. Probably both.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
Cool build man. I did something similar with my yz250. I got everything but new plastics for it. You could repaint the frame if it needs it while you have most of the bike apart anyways. Good luck with it :)

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »

That's not the mix, your bike is jetted too rich or the silencer packing is sacked. Probably both.

Do what coop says. Use the search function. Do not go leaner than 50:1.

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »

Do what coop says. Use the search function. Do not go leaner than 50:1.
aight

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
Update: Just bought some replacement plastics, along with muscle milk graphics and number plate backgrounds :)

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
hey you mentioned an athena 144./ gytr 144 ive heard lots of bad things about them and tuners haev told me to stay away they arent built to the same quality of oem. Id have the stock cylinder modified. my $.02

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
hey you mentioned an athena 144./ gytr 144 ive heard lots of bad things about them and tuners haev told me to stay away they arent built to the same quality of oem. Id have the stock cylinder modified. my $.02
Really?! I will keep that in mind.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

Iv heard that before aswell.