Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Here is a question to the guys here who have been riding thier entire life:  (Read 6946 times)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
When its time to go off to college, how did you keep in touch with motocross? I will be off soon enough to college, and I really don't want to lose MX because of it. I have a few colleges that are a good possibility that are near family and would allow me to still ride on the weekend, but an equal chance of moving south and not being able to bring my bike. So, I want to know, how did you do it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
well, for me it was a little different, because i was pursuing my college tennis career. So in my 2 years at a junior college i only rode a handful of times, not because i didnt' want to ride, but because i felt that i had a really good chance of playing tennis and i didnt want to mess that chance up. Had it not been for tennis, i would've just done my normal riding like usual in those 2 years of junior college. Also i went to a local school, so i really dont know about the whole moving away thing

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
When I was about your age I suffered a debilitating ankle injury and had really no choice but to go back to school.The university I went to had a high international student content and as a result I met people from all over the world.It was a very enriching and satisfying time in my life and I'm glad I went this route.

At one summer job my coworkers coerced me into "hobbling" through a charity run and during the run I felt something break in my injured foot and it took two weeks to heal.To my amazement something must have reset itself and I had a significant improvement in the mobility of my ankle and foot.This allowed me to ride again after university.

My advice to you would be to return to school,work very hard and enjoy yourself.The sport of offroad motorcycles will never be very far away and you can return anytime you want. ;D

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
When I was about your age I suffered a debilitating ankle injury and had really no choice but to go back to school.The university I went to had a high international student content and as a result I met people from all over the world.It was a very enriching and satisfying time in my life and I'm glad I went this route.

At one summer job my coworkers coerced me into "hobbling" through a charity run and during the run I felt something break in my injured foot and it took two weeks to heal.To my amazement something must have reset itself and I had a significant improvement in the mobility of my ankle and foot.This allowed me to ride again after university.

My advice to you would be to return to school,work very hard and enjoy yourself.The sport of offroad motorcycles will never be very far away and you can return anytime you want. ;D

good words Sachs, very good
dont give up school to ride, because you can do that until you die, get school out of the way, ride when you can during school, and you'll be good to go :)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Thanks for the very good input guys  ;D I'm also not returning to school, I have one more year then its off to college weather I ride or not, I have to go. I really do hope that I can keep in touch with MX though. And I know whats its like to have a bad ankle injury Sachs, I had one about two years ago and still feel the tendonitis I got from teering the tendon. If I end up in New Hampshire or stay in Connecticut, I should be able to store my bike with close family and ride at local tracks. I do also look for starage units off campus to store a bike down south, so far no luck.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
cnrcpla you have your whole life to ride... but a short window to get an education.  Take it from me, an education is something no one can ever take from you.  I went to college right after high school, and yes my riding days were put on hold.  The reality is to you it seems like a loooong time, but its a small part of the rest of your life.  Lets face it, we are not going pro, no one is paying us to ride their foppers... Don't worry about the lack of ride time, during breaks, jump on the bike and enjoy it. 

Get your degree, and then relight the MX fire, trust me it never goes out.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The late,great Adolph Weil didn't start riding until he was in his late 20's and was pushing 40 when he placed second in the 500cc world championships (on a Maico of course).

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
I was lucky in my college days. There was a set of trails 45 min away from school and a sand MX track 30 min from school. Friends and I would go out to the track when it was closed from time to time "the back way" on weekdays when we had breaks from classes. One time we found a bunch of Team Honda trucks. They were testing out their new ProLink/Watercooled CR's that nobody knew anything about at the time. We were used to Yamaha water cooled 125's but one of the honda's sure did NOT sound like a 125. Sure enough it was a 250 water pumper. We were amazed.

Good Times.

The track closed down years ago.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Unless you're a pro racer there are always going to be things that can and will interfere with riding. School, work, wife(s), kids, finances and even injuries can stop you from riding, but once you got dirt in your blood you always find a way to do it.  :D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
I don't know where you are concidering attending school in the South, but if it is South-East US, there is a track near every school. Another great thing about the South is that they love them some storage units and you can find them very cheap all over. If you let me know what school you plan to attend, I'm sure I know someone in the area that can point us to both track and cheap storage.

I took time off from riding for school and wish I hadn't. I'm not saying to neglect your studies or put riding before school, but you CAN do both. Riding will keep you in a good physical and mental state and prepare you for the week ahead.

Remember, evey minute you spend on your motorcycle, doesn't count towards life's "clock".
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
I went to college near home (University of New Hampshire) so I could keep racing.  Unfortunately, I broke my leg badly early in my sophomore year, missed 2 months of school, and being in Engineering, I was never able to catch back up.  If I were to do it over again, I would make sure school was number 1, and put off anything else that would interfere with it.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
When I was in my teens I had a bad industrial accident, and could barely walk for a number of years. By the time I could, I was knee deep in kids and a mortgage, so riding wasn't something I even had the time to think of. Now that my kids are grown, and I can afford hobbies again, I'm racing every chance I get.

I guess the point is, you don't have to worry, it will be there when you're ready, and the break will make you appreciate it even more.
Ontario, Canada

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
One of the best things that ever happened racing is when I realized I would never even be a mid pack in the expert class. After that I had more fun riding and actually went faster. I am 49 now and have parts of my life where I didn't even have a bike due to "life". Seems to me there has been plenty of time for everything. Concentrate on your school and career. Ride when you can and have fun with it. One thing about taking a break is how good it feels when getting back on a bike. In FL we have an extended boating season which I love. But that first cool November air we get back on the bikes for the winter and its like being a kid all over.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
I plan on attending (depending on acceptance) University of NC, or University of SC, both are epual chances for me to go to. Weather I can ride or not, I am going to college, this thread was meant to see how you guys made it through and held on to MX, so don't worry about me not going, because that's not an option for me hahaha  :) Thanks for the great input everyone  ;D

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Johnny McCoy, out of Sumter South Carolina (about 30 minutes from Gamecock stadium) is very active in the off-road community in South Carolina. I think he works for Yamaha now but he was the area Kawasaki, Husqvarna, and Gas Gas guy in the past. He is also President (or past pres) of the Sumter Enduro club. He was a AA rider, SE&TRA Champion and still went to school. He's a Clemson guy and will rib you to no end but he has 2 kids (one about your age) that race MX in the area.  The Sumter Enduro always sells out. They used to cut off entries at 700 riders. That is who I would go to first.

In the NC low country, NC Motocross Park had lots of races, including night races over in East Bend (Raliegh). Checkout www.ncmp.net. There is a lot of MX in the immediate area and a lot of off-road in the not so distance. Lots of storage garages along the Interstate in Raliegh too.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk