Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fi/DI or Carb  (Read 3958 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
Interested to see the split on TSM.
Everytime DI or Fi are mentioned a good debate starts over the merits of both.
If a workable Fi/DI system became available in the next couple of years how many of us think that it would be a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
if all 2T motorcycle manufacturers had a working FI/DI system 10 years ago the world of motorcycling including MX would be a very different place.

for starters the FIM and AMA would still consider them to be relevent.

but sadly if that was the case in some parallel universe, Id probably be tinkering away on rotaries instead haha.
I seem to be subconciously drawn to the 'underdog' status haha

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I personally like the idea of DI, aslong as it doest become a pain with clogging injectors or something stupid like that. If DI can revive the racing and therefore sales side of two strokes then it must be a good thing.
I'm not getting my hopes up too much however as it will never make me any faster (I see performance parts as ?until I can hold my bike pinned in top gear all the way round a track, there must be more to gain in my riding than in my bikes engine? noone else ever gets that though when theyr getting beat by an enduro bike with lights when racing round a motocross track).
In conclusion if it makes smokers competitive again then it should be good but in no way am I expecting a miracle.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
Somehow I am drawn to the cleverness and simplicity of the two stroke design. I like working on them, modifying them and most of all riding them. I like the light weight and high power output. Sadly, the choices these days are dwindling over time.

I think its possible that a DI system could reverse that trend if implemented correctly such that it didn't become a unreliable, poor running, pain in the rump. To have a dual sport 300 that was as clean as a 4T so the govt would leave it alone, to keep the light weight and the general power characteristics, the capability to run a 100 mile loop on a 3 gallon tank, and even get rid of jetting issues for altitude changes, would be sweet IMHO.

I am fine with a carb but the status quo is a dead end for new 2T bikes without something like this in the future.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »
In life you have to move forward,you can't stay where you are,and DI is the future of the 2T gasoline engine.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »
In life you have to move forward,you can't stay where you are,and DI is the future of the 2T gasoline engine.

Agreed. As much fun and awesomeness as a carbed 2 stroke engine is at full noise, things move on. So long as the DI/FI is FLAWLESS in that I'm not replacing chewed up injectors every five seconds or something like that and I can easily map whether I want a hard hit or linear powerband (Although I doubt its gonna get changed form hard hitting) I don't understand the debate. Everything must move forward, years ago a cam chain was made of rubber, gaskets were made of cork and if you had a radio in your car you were one badass mofo. Look at the dual rear shock on the motocrosser, its gone. Liquid cooling, hydraulic brakes and I'm sure some of you could name dozens of other things that were never on a dirt bike but are now. But again it just comes back to: If its puts fuel in your cylinder in the right stroke, retains the hard hit of a smoker (by choice), is just as reliable as a carb and easy to mess with like a carb, whats the debate about?

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
All of the above.

Without DFI / other new techs, two strokes will dissapear. It's as simple as that.

With it / them, they are the most logical ICE.

I intend to keep my currently carbed 2ts forever, but I want  modern, clean, efficient, Ultra tunable 2ts to add to those.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »

I intend to keep my currently carbed 2ts forever, but I want  modern, clean, efficient, Ultra tunable 2ts to add to those.

Agreed

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I voted that my carb works fine. It would be kind of neat to have a programmable EFI system though. I rather enjoy jets and needles though!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
as long as it worked FI/DI would be great, no more having to mess with jets, i would be happy with that :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:22 AM »
Fuel injection would just be one more thing to learn how to fix and get used to. I wouldn't mind it, but I also don't mind the carbs...

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
I don't much care for the 4 strokes these days(had many)... But I love the the FI and the ability to change mapping in a matter of minutes. I imagine this feature will be available on the upcoming 2 strokes and really look forward to it. Plus, if this is what it takes to keep 2 strokes alive, then I am all for it..... Otherwise the beloved powerplant of choice will eventually disappear or become a curiosity.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
OK, so I am old enough to remember carbs on cars and trucks. Back when the majority of the transformation to FI was happening, of the new cars available, hi-performance cars were FI, while low performance was still carbed. Many folks were rebelling and pulling the FI off and replacing it with carbs. In extreme cases where reliability and repair ability were major factors (such as boats and desert off-road vehicles), carbs were preferred.

As time went on and reliability went up, cheaper and more reliable electronic versions became available until just about the whole of the auto and much of the marine industry are FI. Only the motorcycles and lawn equipment have lagged technologically speaking.

Sure the change will be painful and initially expensive but really, with the cost of fuel today, would you really rather have your '68 Dodge Van with a 360, no A/C and 6 MPG or a '12 Ford Quad Cab with every known option and 25 MPG? Increased performance, directly due to improvements in fuel delivery, allows for smaller and lighter drive trains and engines.

I hear ya...it is more complicated. There is more to go wrong. It is more subseptible to heat and vibration. However the benefits far outweigh the risks.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
The advantage for FI on a two stroke is the four strokes have been using it for a few years now. MFG's have had time to iron out any bugs and hopefully by the time it gets to two strokes it will be trouble free.

As for cost i dont know if it will be that much more expensive. Stihl released a power saw that is fuel injected and the price went up $150. Its a different application and probably a completely different system but still gives an idea of the extra it costs

Offline psychward26

• View Profile
Fi/DI or Carb
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
The big 4 will have to get on board or we will be all riding European bikes with FI/DI. Twostrokes will never go away there will always be blown up 4t frames to put the motors in because they last forever with routine maintenance.