Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fork seal  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Brap

• View Profile
Fork seal
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
My left front fork seal is leaking, How long before i HAVE to fix it? im going riding in 2 weeks and wanna go and only have money for there and back, Any redneck ways to temperately fix it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fork seal
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
I temporarily stopped my right fork leak just by cleaning them  :o You will be surprised how much dirt and dust accumulates back there. I cleaned up in the seal too, just CAREFULLY (as to NOT scratch the fork itself).

Offline arnego2

• View Profile
Fork seal
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Yeap cleaning them is the first thing to try anyway. I like the seal safers after using those no more leaks.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fork seal
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
Yeah, those make a difference, but the seals will always find a way to accumulate dust and dirt. But, its an off road motorcycle, it is to be expected  ;D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Fork seal
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
Be careful,once a seal starts to leak it can suck dirt in.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Fork seal
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
Gently pry down your dust wiper with a small screwdriver proceeding a little bit at a time until you have it worked down.Clean it out (brake clean works good) with whatever you have and then do the same to the seal area up inside the fork tube.Once you have it well cleaned,take a business card(some use a film strip but you can cut the seal) and insert one edge under the seal.Once you have part of it under,run it all the way around the fork leg while keeping it under the seal.Some oil will leak out here.The idea is to get rid of any piece of dirt under the seal lip.Once done,clean it off again.I spray silicone spray it and around the dust wiper and push the wiper back in place.Some use dielectric grease but I find that collects grit.
If you have nothing to put on it that's ok too.Make sure your fork leg is cleaned of dirt after every ride(wipe them down after they dry from washing-I use brake clean and then silicone spray)
Ck your fork tube for any nicks as well.If small enough,you can polish them out.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.