Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: another reason why the ama is bass akwards  (Read 5749 times)

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
another reason why the ama is bass akwards
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
in order to get the 4t's they have to run them at lower decibels ridiculous. if they ever tested near where a pro rides the bikes if would never pass. even with a q pipe
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=68E106238C6E412B8E36C6317D3FF97F

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: another reason why the ama is bass akwards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
Someplace else I posted that Pro Circuit tested 4 stroke pipes on a dyno. They made 90db, 92db, 93db  and more... using the AMA rules each one met the sound level at the low rpm level, but when they did a drive by of the bikes it was over 110 db!! Worse yet full out on the dyno with the same AMA test all of the bikes clocked within 1 db of each other at 130db!!!

The current AMA sound rule is a joke!!

I'm convinced that even if they kept the displacement rule lopsided and just lowered the sound level rule to a reasonable level that the two-strokes could not only compete, but probably beat them!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
John,
    that is exactly the reason I have not been back to a National MX since 06 at Southwick. My ears were still ringing the next day from the exhaust noise. I get to attend AMA Pro events for free and I don't go!
   There is no way the sound levels are in the 95DB range with these modern 4S. 130DB seems closer to the mark.
       Paul P

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Paul - hopefully you'll come out to Southwick in 2010 to see a 250cc two-stroke compete against the tractor 450's!!

I agree with you... and I too stopped going to the Pro races  because of sound. Funny it was at Southwick that I felt this way as well! Last year at Unadilla was the first time I went back in a couple of years and only because they had the FMF 2 Stroke Invitational.

The only way to shift the tide is to get two-strokes out there in the Pro Classes and get the fans excited about them. My feeling is that this change will be the only way to bring two-strokes back.

Life is short.

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Hopefully there will be a lot of 2 strokes at the event. But, I will still have to wear earplugs if the 4 bangers are there. And I agree, if the 4S were Actually as quiet as the 2S they would not have the power they now enjoy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »
Now just imagine the power the two-strokes would have if they were designed to be that loud.  I do think that if the engineers set out to make the most powerful two-stroke possible, noise be damned, it'd open, loose, and loud as hell.  Of course, matching the 4T sound level is the wrong way to go about anything, but if it were acceptable to go up to 130dB or so, I think we'd have some pretty radical power in our court.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:01:28 AM »
Now just imagine the power the two-strokes would have if they were designed to be that loud.  I do think that if the engineers set out to make the most powerful two-stroke possible, noise be damned, it'd open, loose, and loud as hell.  Of course, matching the 4T sound level is the wrong way to go about anything, but if it were acceptable to go up to 130dB or so, I think we'd have some pretty radical power in our court.

While I'm no engineer, I don't think this is true... as discussed before a properly tuned modern two stroke needs back pressure to produce power... while it might be true that you could get a few additional horsepower if noise were not an issue is possible, I just don't see how.

As for getting more power, if all you want is horsepower... the kart guys are getting 70 to 75 horsepower out of a 250cc engine!! This would not be usable in an mx bike for two reasons, first and most importantly, it would break the rear wheel loose at inopportune times, and basically be unridable. Talk about a light switch!

Second reason is the pipe design parameters on a bike... by it's nature there must be twists and turns i to fit it on the frame and not have it stick out too far on either side. Plus the diameter needs to be larger in order to produce such large horsepower numbers....

Now maybe if you flipped the engine around on a two-stroke...... with the exhaust coming out the back.... hmmm...

Check out the exhaust coming out the rear of this old Honda.... if this was built in the 1950's how come Yamaha calls it advanced on the 2010 YZF450 tank??
Life is short.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:23 AM »

Check out the exhaust coming out the rear of this old Honda.... if this was built in the 1950's how come Yamaha calls it advanced on the 2010 YZF450 tank??

Damn it John, I laughed so hard at that I spewed coffee all over my keyboard...... :o ;D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 06:24:20 AM »
Hehe, good point with that Honda. My very first bike was a '79 3.5hp minibike and that Tecumseh engine had the exhaust coming out the back too.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:09 AM »

While I'm no engineer, I don't think this is true... as discussed before a properly tuned modern two stroke needs back pressure to produce power... while it might be true that you could get a few additional horsepower if noise were not an issue is possible, I just don't see how.

As for getting more power, if all you want is horsepower... the kart guys are getting 70 to 75 horsepower out of a 250cc engine!! This would not be usable in an mx bike for two reasons, first and most importantly, it would break the rear wheel loose at inopportune times, and basically be unridable. Talk about a light switch!

Second reason is the pipe design parameters on a bike... by it's nature there must be twists and turns i to fit it on the frame and not have it stick out too far on either side. Plus the diameter needs to be larger in order to produce such large horsepower numbers....

Now maybe if you flipped the engine around on a two-stroke...... with the exhaust coming out the back.... hmmm...

Ha ah, had to use that pic. ON vital
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
Sorry Eric!!  :P :P

Miedos - it seems that many people on Vital only have a sense of humor when it convenient! Maybe they need to take a big dump or something!! LOL :o :o
Life is short.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
Sorry Eric!!  :P :P

Miedos - it seems that many people on Vital only have a sense of humor when it convenient! Maybe they need to take a big dump or something!! LOL :o :o

It's really starting to worry many, that the tide is starting to change.  If ProAMA and FIM ever do switch the cc for cc rule, with a little pressure from series competition  8) , the change will be overnight.  
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
I agree!

It will be like all the four-stroke fans had taken this....

;D ;D ;D
Life is short.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
Seriously.... a bunch of the four-stroke fanatics are starting to see the writing on the wall... they're getting nervous that their handi-cap will be taken away...

I'm still amazed that when I post something intelligent on Vital that it get's ignored... yet many folks post every comment in the world on threads with stupid rumors...  :-\

The number one reason that I don't post there very often.... only a little nudge every now and then!  ;D ;D
Life is short.

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 03:33:31 AM »
sounds like the AMA and the 4-stroke fraternity are still denying there is a noise problem. I think it's easy to fix put a f@#$en muffler on them that's actually a muffler and if it restricts the engine and causes a loss in power stiff, it's something you need to deal with if you want to ride a 4-stroke. I'm tired of getting my ears blasted out by that ridiculous amount of noise deemed exceptable >:(