Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New Ossa Enduro  (Read 5009 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
I recently read a Cycle World article and in it the author talked about the problems Bombardier encountered in developing direct injection such as,for example, crankcase overheating.The article also discusses how the injector(s?) are located in the transfer ports and are timed to the closing of the exhaust port.

This leads me into the new Ossa 300 enduro which apparently has DI, or more accurately, hybrid direct injection.It has transfer port injection, like the Bombardier,plus a crankcase injector which delivers a small amount of premix to the crankcase for lubrication and cooling.A compromise yes, and most things in life are a compromise, but a form of direct injection nonetheless.

So,it seems, we have a direct injected offroad 2T. ;D

My apologies to Dirt Bike - the new Ossa is DI.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »
Ossa looks like a pretty cool bike.  The only thing that freaks me out is the exhaust being under the seat!

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
The bike looks great, and to top it off with a hot spanish girl!

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
I like it! on cold riding days....

Seriously, no pipe armor is necessary on that bike, +1

Ossa looks like a pretty cool bike.  The only thing that freaks me out is the exhaust being under the seat!

Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
In 10 years, when the bike is older and 3rd hand and someone buys a universal silencer, they're going to get hot exhaust up their butt and covered in smoke when they stop :)

Just saying, that's how I look at things, not everything will always be sealed 100%properly!

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
According to this (go 1:30 into the video) the bombardier system is DI through the head -- not via the transfers?

I recently read a Cycle World article and in it the author talked about the problems Bombardier encountered in developing direct injection such as,for example, crankcase overheating.The article also discusses how the injector(s?) are located in the transfer ports and are timed to the closing of the exhaust port.

This leads me into the new Ossa 300 enduro which apparently has DI, or more accurately, hybrid direct injection.It has transfer port injection, like the Bombardier,plus a crankcase injector which delivers a small amount of premix to the crankcase for lubrication and cooling.A compromise yes, and most things in life are a compromise, but a form of direct injection nonetheless.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
In this month's Cycle World that's what the author said (transfer port injection). If you think about it, it shouldn't really matter in principle when (or where) the fuel air charge enters the combustion chamber as long as the exhaust port is "reasonably" closed. ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
OMC had the problems with the early DI system.
Buy the time BRP took over most were sorted and then they improved on it alot more.
All ETEC systems are proper DI.
Combustion Injection.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
The spanish girl in the video likes direct injection.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
If you watch the video carefully, the OSSA appears in the back ground  :o  ;)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
I think that is not quite true. If the injection happens in the transfers you would expect some of the charge to end up in the crankcase. Not clear how much? Anyway, if any fuel is in the crankcase it will make its way out the exhaust port without being sparked. Combustion chamber DI makes it completely impossible. That said having the injector placed that much lower on the jug sure would improve packaging on a bike compared to that monster on top of the eTec engine's head.

In this month's Cycle World that's what the author said (transfer port injection). If you think about it, it shouldn't really matter in principle when (or where) the fuel air charge enters the combustion chamber as long as the exhaust port is "reasonably" closed. ;D

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
What a great video to see, I hope petrol can be sustainable enough to allow for further development. While it has its dangers (petrol itself is very dangerous), alcohol may even be an option.

Very exciting to see this, never give up the fight for 2 strokes.

Nice looking girl too, someone give her the key to fire it up!!
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline LukeDuke25

• Novice
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
There is also a rumor that Husqvarna is developing something similar.  Only time will tell though!

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »

The original Dirt Bike article about Ossa was about their trials bike, where they wrote in big letters on the cover "Diret Injected 2-strokes are here". But the trials bike is NOT DI. It is crankcase injected. The enduro is, like you said, hybrid. It is DI + crankcase injected.

First I wonder, is the fuel going into the crank pure fuel and they also have oil injection? Or is all the fuel pre mix? Hopefully oil injection.

Now, I have never heard of BRP having overheating issues. I looked it up on the Ski-Doos and didn't see anything. And those things are putting out 200hp/L.

I do like the transfer port direct injection. Especially as seen on the Athena. You keep the simple cylinder head with no big injector on top. And you can still get cheap head mods!

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
New Ossa Enduro
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
Well, to correct myself, the Athena is not injecting in the transfer port. It is above it in the cylinder wall.