Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: spokes?  (Read 3108 times)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
spokes?
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
i need new spokes for my front wheel, anybody have a brand that they recommend? i'm thinking of just getting excel spokes, but i would like something stronger if it is available, also will the spoke kits come with a spoke wrench?

please let me know! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:42:45 AM »
Just use some welding rods and tack them into place  ;) Just kidding. In my opinion, as long as you keep them tightened and maintained properly, any kind of spokes will serve you good. I have no idea if the kit would come with the wrench or not though... BUT I have heard nothing really negative about excel stuff either.

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:47:02 AM »
Buchannan Spokes are really strong, they run a little thicker than standard, so you might have to drill the holes in your hub to get a good fit. but they hold up well to abuse!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
Rad Manufacturing at http://www.radmfg.com/ also offers stainless steel spokes. They off them in standard or oversize as well. I've used them without any issues.

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
Rad Manufacturing at http://www.radmfg.com/ also offers stainless steel spokes. They off them in standard or oversize as well. I've used them without any issues.

will i have to modify the hub to get them to fit? like drilling the holes out?

and are the heavy duty spokes worth the 20$ more?

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
If you go with the standard diameter spokes you may not need to drill out the spoke holes on your hub, I didn't have to on my CR250 or KX250. As for the oversize, I couldn't tell you as I run stock diameter spokes. I've tried buchanans in the past and had issues with seizing of the nipples to the spokes. Even if I use a dab of grease or oil on the spokes it will eventually wash out from cleaning and weather. I haven't had the same issues with the RadMfg spokes. As long as you keep your spokes torqued to spec a standard diameter spoke should work fine for many years. Consider this, the original spokes on my CR250 were mild steel and the factory nipples were aluminum. I won't tell you how to spend your money but it will depend on do you feel you need the extra strength of larger diameter spokes. The other downside, larger spokes do weigh more.

will i have to modify the hub to get them to fit? like drilling the holes out?

and are the heavy duty spokes worth the 20$ more?

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:04 AM »
i'm guessing you used the billet aluminum spokes? vs the stainless steel ones?

i dont see any reason why the stock strength spokes wouldn't work, do the rad spokes come with a spoke wrench?

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
The offer different length spokes, stock and those for the hubs they sell. I got the stock length stainless steel spokes with the billet nipples.  They offer colored spokes and colored nipples...for a price of course; I went with bare metal colors.  Unfortunately the kits don't come with a spoke wrench but you could pick one up either at your neighborhood shop or on-line from any parts house (i.e. pit posse, motosport.com, etc) for fairly cheap. If you wanted to get even more precise with your spokes you can pick up a spoke torque wrench, http://pitposse.com/potowrkit.html, but it isn't cheap. There are other spoke torque wrenches you can get but that's the one I use, it's decent and works well (also comes with an assortment of heads including a splined one for excel nipples). I finger tighten all the spokes getting them close the use a regular spoke wrench to get everything in line and snug then use the spoke torque wrench to get it all within +/- 5 lb-in of one another. RadMfg recommends the torque be between 40 to 45 in-lb; I believe stock is around 18 in-lb. You can do a google search on line and find plenty of tutorials on how to lace up and true a wheel; you might even find a turtorial on Youtube.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
spokes?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
I always just order the stock spokes,that needed replacement.