Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KTM overtaking the big four?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
KTM overtaking the big four?
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
http://www.bikesales.com.au/news/2012/ktm-records-a-cracking-2011-28935

Thats an article from bikesales (duh) thats saying KTM's sales have increased hugely and their turn over as well.

Whats everyone think? Could they really be overtaking the big four? I know that last time I went to a KTM dealer there wasn't a smoker on the floor, but plenty of dumpers. I know their 2 stroke sales are a cut above most any other brand and definitely above Yamaha's. Theres also a topic here that reckons Yamie wont produce any smokers in 2013, I personally don't buy it, its most likely a spread rumour to make people want to buy the 2012 even more. Anyways this article definitely grabbed my attention. If KTM can show that people still want 2 strokes, I think the big four will catch on and start em up again (a 2 stroke market would only take one kick after all   :P)

Whats everyone else think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »
Statistically KTM's total global motorcycle sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the four major Japanese manufacturers,however, KTM is generating a profit which can't be said for all of the big four. KTM is a master at niche marketing which has allowed them to take control of the North American offroad market. ;D

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »
According to KTM: KTM is officially the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in Europe and the USA. KTM, who specializes in offroad bikes, but is expanding into street bike, sold 81,200 bikes in 2011 (up from 66,327 in 2010). Despite a motorcycle market that has seen a 5 percent decrease in sales overall KTM?s numbers increased,

KTM?s market share in Europe increased by 30 percent compared to previous year. ?Hence, KTM is the most successful brand and outpaced its competitors clearly?, explains Stefan Pierer, Chairman of the Executive Board of KTM Power Sports AG.

posted on MXA's sunday news round up

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
Yup, and this doesn't include the Husaberg sales...
KTM deffinately builds a nice bike for everybody, or they provide the parts to build it yourself!
I can only expect more of the same for KTM in the future, and the Japs will continue to fall.
(at least, in my neck of the west-european woods.)
Honda of Houston has just announced they will stop their rider support... :-X

Offline nemisis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Here in the UK, KTM have quiet equal numbers (constantly increasing) to the jap bikes at local MX tracks but Enduro is just a mass of Orange

there are a few older jap smokers and a few huskys but in general the weapon of choice (personal funds allowing) is KTM

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
I have seen plenty of KTMs at tracks around here, but I don't think that I have ever seen a husky at the gates up here.

Offline nemisis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
Could be an option for those looking for something different, but no knowledge on how they perform/handle

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:20 AM »
The new Huskys are a good bike.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
I wonder if the big four realise their profits are decreasing because of their lack of smokers... No doubt they've got an absolutely legendary line of smokers holed up in their vaults waiting to be released when MX and SX are in dire danger of dying completely. I sincerely hope that KTM do keep going with their smokers, its obvious everyone wants them, I hope the "big" four get the picture soon. I don't like the look of the new huskies... they look too flat

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
I think they realize that. If they don't realize they are losing costomers because of no 2 strokes,
then they are just beiing Honda-stubborn..

I really hope KTM keeps winning in AMA SX and outdoors, and eventually the Japs pull out of that too,
thus paving the way for honest manufacturers, like TM Husqvarna etc, to come in.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:16:45 AM »
I doubt the skinnies will let it come to that, having to pull out of sx and mx just cos they screwed themselves over. I think they all know and agree the four stroke motocross engine blows (figuratively and literally) and are just trying to milk this craze dry. Honestly though, if they let Carmichael ride an SX250 next year that was fully decked out the same as the four fagties were? There wouldn't be much more of this pathetic "four stroke revolution". I read some douche bags comment on a youtube video: Clearly the four strokes are better, you don't have to mix the gas, they don't blow up all the time, don't need to be rebuilt often and all the pros ride them! Lol its funny cos only 2/4 of those points are correct for four strokes, hes obviously unaware that the pro factory teams rebuild their engines after every race. Can someone clarify for me what the exact rules ARE with the smokers? something about they have to be above a certain weight or something?

Offline michwoodsrider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:08 AM »
Good for KTM they deserve it. They build the bikes people want and their sales show it. The jap companies build the bike THEY want you to have, they could care less about us the riders. All they care about is that almighty dollar, and i wont support that. My next bike will definitely not be a japanese bike.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum michwoodsrider, great to see another smoker fan!
Good for KTM indeed, they do deserve it. They've stuck in there with the smokers when it would've been so easy and so profitable to build dumpers only. I hope they continually succeed, next bike I buy will be a brand new KTM. Looking forward to it

Offline michwoodsrider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
Thank you very much, its so nice to have a place to come where you're not having people trying to shove 4t's down your throat.  :P