Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Possibilities of a two stroke car?  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Possibilities of a two stroke car?
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
I know it sounds stupid and irrational, but before you flame, think about it.
We all know that a smoker has a relatively confined powerband. We all know that almost every car on the roads is a 4t motor for several reasons: Fuel consumption, no burning oil, smoother power delivery. Obviously this is more suited to an everyday family car. On the racetrack it might be a different story but no parents want to be carrying their family around in a car that has hard hitting, unpredictable power and screaming the car out.

So My proposal is: FIX these "issues" (obviously they aren't issues for motorcycles). If we can either put a system in a car that automatically mixes the gas and oil, or better yet put a sump in, that is quite possibly the biggest "drawback" of a two stroke fixed. Again it just makes the bikes more fun xD. Secondly, EFI!!!! If we can establish a successful way of smoother power delivery over a wider powerband in a two stroke, whether it be through EFI or some other way, People may very well rather the 2 stroke machine.

At the end of the day, 2 strokes need half the displacement to achieve the same power. The only reason they aren't exactly economical is no one has put much effort into making them so. Cars obviously have a lot more room for technologies required to make it so. By halving (possibly less) the capacity of modern day cars they could in theory burn just as much possibly less fuel then the 4 t equivalent.

I think its an area that has an awful lot of potential and I hope to live to see the day that it becomes a reality.

What do you guys think?
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline DESERTFOX19

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:34:53 AM »

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:39 AM »
Need anyone say more? Not to mention these smokers would be much lighter which opens plenty of doors in terms of accident safety, and lower fuel consumption. I really do think it has alot of potential.

What do you guys think?

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
They used to make these two stroke cars, but it most likely had all of the above mentioned problems...   Its a foreign video with weird music, but its a two stroke car non the less.

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
well if you think about it, the engine of a normal 4 stroke car today is HUGE and weighs a ton (not counting the tranny bc a 2 stroke car would have one too)

with EFI it would solve all of those problems, it would be less complicated, bc there would be no pushrods rockers cams valves etc..the main engine would probably weigh about half as much and have about 35-45% more power than its same cc cousin. There's no reason why it couldn't work, hell if a complicated 4 stroke engine with efi could do it, a simple 2 stroke could no problem. just stuff 4 Rz350 engines in there and see what happens lol

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
I think DI two strokes have lots of potential in micro-cars:cheaper to manufacture, much more efficient use of space and high output. The lighter weight and more compact dimensions of the 2T would free designers to be more creative in the placement of the powerplant (rear engined for example). Saab made some interesting 2 cycle automobiles.

At one time the Orbital Corporation created a great deal of interest in the 2T engine in automotive applications.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:57 AM »
If I had some time and money to burn I might consider putting an 800cc skidoo etec  DI engine into a Porsche 914. Even keep the belt drive to a differential for the rear wheels. Lots of room for serious expansion chambers! That engine is supposed to be good for 160 HP.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »
If I had some time and money to burn I might consider putting an 800cc skidoo etec  DI engine into a Porsche 914. Even keep the belt drive to a differential for the rear wheels. Lots of room for serious expansion chambers! That engine is supposed to be good for 160 HP.

and that thing would be super light compared to the engine and everything else on that car

so 160hp - about idk how many pounds difference say 200 then you've got yourself a fairly fast car lol

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
It is a very interesting area. I think with the application of turbo kits and all that power squeezing stufd you could get a hugely fuel efficient car that was very light and cheap. Not to mention you could have more room for other technologies with the smaller engine. Things like air bags and other safety mumbo jumbo. I think the area has alot of potential to be honest. Fuel prices would sky rocket if they engine still required premix though oweing to the oil in it.

It will be very interesting to see if anyone picks up on the marketing potential. Imagine how many people would buy a fuel and space efficient car that is very safe and you cpuld fix almost anything out of your own home?
Thanks for your opinions guys

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »

I'll retire in 5 years, and one of my retirement projects was to build a tube chassis kit car. I had always wanted a Porsche spyder, but lately, I'm thinking tube chassis, hand made aluminum body. My engine of choice would be a Rotax 2 stroke. Even if I have to put something else in to pass inspection, then swap the smoker...
Ontario, Canada

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
If you can modify an older chassis then you are grandfathered in to avoid the EPA fiesta. Plus a new rotax ETec would be cleaner than the engine it replaced! Remember the VW fiberglass dune buggy bodies? Toss one of those on a late '60s bug and add a 160 HP 2T to it! Fun in the Sun!

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
No EPA in Canada  :P

I know some people. It might be doable.
Ontario, Canada

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
i would trade my nissan versa in for a car like that right now if i could.

Imagine 4-6 big fat expansion chambers coming out of the sides of the car right below the doors, with some carbon cans  :o

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
So how hard is it to find a wadded up skidoo Etec? With 160 HP they should be pretty common!   :o

No EPA in Canada  :P

I know some people. It might be doable.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »
i would trade my nissan versa in for a car like that right now if i could.

Imagine 4-6 big fat expansion chambers coming out of the sides of the car right below the doors, with some carbon cans  :o

Expansion chambers on a car... Soooo good. I'd buy that even if I had to fill the bitch up every 2 ks. I'm already imaging the amazing sound it would make... Thats what a car should be like. And not to mention no one would have to be woken up at 2 in the morning from some Lancers and WRXs getting opened up 20 kilometres away. So many more advantages so many... Honestly if people kept their revs at 3-5 thousand MOST of the time (who wouldn't scream it out a little bit) then Maintenance costs of their car would PLUMET! If the 2 stroke motorcycle world does indeed make a huge comeback on the dumpers, I wonder if we will be seeing people jump at the potential it has for cars