Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: How do you train?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Kembo693

• Junior
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
Hi guys!

Kinda pointless topic, but I just saw some old Mike Tyson's training programs from the internet, and I started to think how cool would be to see PRO riders weekly program... Anyways I guess that is pretty much impossible, so I decided to ask you guys!

I'm currently doing my pre-season training, and my last week looked like this:

Monday: Warm up jog, upper body & core strenght training at gym 50mins, intense 15min run back home
Tuesday: Low heart rate/ aerobic base training run (130-150 heartrate) 1:15h
Wednesday: Riding 1h total, running interwals after that
Thursday: Whole body workout at gym
Friday: Badminton for 1h
Saturday: Riding for 1h total

So that what my week looked like. I bet this was about 1/4 at most of what for example Ryan Villopoto did in his pre-season, lol... I'm trying to do this week pretty much the same way, except I'm trying to do a little more riding. What's up with you'r training guys, let us see your week's training schedule or just tell us how are you doing your workout!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
i would throw in a few "moto" sessions on the bicycle and/or running.

run or bike for as long as you would ride 1 moto, be it 15-20 minutes or more

do it twice, keep it at about 90% pace
basically mimic the heart rate that you would have while racing.
and it makes your body get accustomed to the high heart rate, then rest, then high heart rate again

being a college tennis athlete, i played a ton of tennis up to 8 hours a day for 6 days a week
and i can say that there is no substitute for actually riding, but one thing that does help quite a bit is doing stairs, and running. Biking is a little different because its not as hard, but just running and doing stairs, like if you have a local highschool football stadium which big bleachers and stairs, go run them. It's hell at first but after a while you will feel alot stronger and will be able to charge late in motos because you're not as tired

also pushups and core work really help, i use one of these
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_166853_-1?Ntt=ab&Ntk=All

also, always always always stretch, from your feet to your hands. stretch. Nothing is worse than putting in all that work getting bigger/better/stronger and then pulling a muscle and you're out for a week or so. do a little warm up jog, then about 25 pushups then stretch. I know people say stretching is bad for your muscles but its not.

and lastly idk where you're located but one thing is for sure, you need to drink water, and keep the energy up. Down here in Texas especially during the summer it gets ridiculously hot. we had 5 months of 100+ weather. Your body can't perform like it should unless it has the fuel to do so

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
Dead on, twosmoke. !Always! stretch! I didn't stretch well enough on the last day of my rotation.. Felt it yesterday that's for sure. Tonight is gonna be fun! :D

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
I did a lot of training back in the day but in the GNCC's, I did about 700 pushups a day (100 at a time) and rode 4 days a week. I played 18 holes of golf the Monday after an event. It was good for stretching those tight muscles. I also hydrated starting on Wednesday drinking 1 gallon of Pedialyte/water mix (25/75) per day until after the race (then it was beer until Wednesday!)

Prior to the GNCC's (National Enduro and HS, regional and local events) I drank a lot of beer but I had a more active life and still rode about 3 to 4 days a week. Plus I was younger and more invincible.

There is no better training than riding.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
Very good topic. This is the most overlooked aspect of riding!

For the Pro riders, they have personal trainers and nutritionists. They have pre-planned regiments for fitness and diet. It would be great to have someone push you and tell you what to eat all the time during training and competition. However, the reality for us poor folk is quite different. It is quite clear that the best thing you can do is ride! But riding cost lots of money, and most riders can't afford the up keep of their machines for practice, training, and racing! Apart from riding all the time, there are numerous options for conditioning and maintaining your fitness level.

-Hydration, as TwoSmoke commented on earlier. Hydration is the most important aspect of any activity. Staying Hydrated allows your body to do many things. It helps your body regulate its temperature, whether you are hot or cold. It also aids in joint lubrication. Drinking 8-12 ounces of water in the morning when you first wake up helps do all of these things and boost metabolism. You should be drinking at least 64 ounces of water per day. Of course this all depends on your level of activity, hydrate according to your exertion level. Sports drinks such as Gatorade and Powerade are high in elctrolytes, but the down side to them is the high amount of sugar put in theses drinks. Mixing them 50/50 or less with more water is acceptable, but unless you are working out for 1-2 hours or more at a high exertion level water is all your body needs.
-Nutrition, With a well balanced diet, your body will get plenty of electrolytes(mostly from sodium), natural sugars(not refined/ processed), protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

-Pre-Hab(warm-up) There are several misconceptions when it comes to this topic. First is stretching, there are many different ways to stretch, some are good and some can be damaging.
"Types of stretching: Static, Active, Dynamic, PNF & Functional Stretching"
Static Stretching
As the name suggests, static stretching involves holding a muscle at the stretched position for 20 -30 seconds. No additional benefit has been shown to extend the stretch for more than 30 seconds.

Static stretching is best done after your workouts. It has shown to decrease strength and power if done immediately before weight training. The stretch is held when you feel a nice stretch ( or slight discomfort) until you feel the muscle relaxing.

Active Stretching

Active stretching involves stretching the muscle actively. In other words, you are holding the stretched position with the opposing muscle group. You muscles are playing an active role in holding the stretch position.

Dynamic Stretching

Dynamic stretching is similar to active stretching. However, in dynamic stretching you don?t hold the stretch. You are always moving or dynamic. Dynamic stretching is not the best for improving flexibility. But it is good way to warm up for your sport and has shown to improve performance.

PNF Stretching

Propioreceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) is said to use receptors to improve the neuromuscular (related to nerves & muscles) response of the body. The flexibility gained can be maintained by doing PNF stretches of minimum one repetition for at least 2 times a week. There are different ways to do PNF: Contract relax, Contract-Hold relax and so on.
Usually, PNF is performed with the help of a partner. But you can do it on your own with a towel for resistance. Atleast if you get hurt, you have only yourself to blame.
PNF yields greatest gains and is the fastest way known to improve the range of motion or flexibility.Recent studies have shown that there is nothing neural or propiorecptive about PNF and is due to an increase in stretch or pain tolerance. So forget the term ?PNF?.

Functional Stretching

Functional Stretching is something which came out recently. Most of the strength coaches now lean towards functional stretching to improve flexibility in their athletes. Athletes mainly use free weights and not much machines because of the theory of specificity. The theory says that strength, coordination, speed, & balance is highly specific to the movement.
Based on the same theory, if you want the newly gained ROM to show up in your movements (or have the strength and coordination), the stretching should be functional or specific. Since most movements are ground based (or standing), it makes a lot of sense to do lower body stretches standing on your feet.

* Use static or PNF stretching if the muscle is really tight. Better to avoid static stretching before your workouts. Functional       stretching is a better option to PNF & static, atleast theoretically.
    * Use dynamic stretching as warm up rather than static stretching.
    * Maintain the arch in your back and keep the non-stretched leg straight and toes pointed upright.
    * Always remember to breathe while streching. Stretching shouldn?t be painful. 

I'll post more later, but do some research for warm up routines and find what works for you!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:35 AM »
this thread hurts my feelings!

till age of 18, i used to ride bmx all day at south skateparks and ride my dirt bike all weekend, after that, i got lazzy and i just sleep, work and eat like a pig.

now that i'm 26, don't know how to start a training routine. i'm still a skinny guy, but i lost shape!

i'll wait for more comments, and after that i see if i can get courage to restart.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:12:49 AM »
I used to be able to train aerobically but after the injury to my foot I can't run for a while... Does anyone know any good ways to get some aerobics with out running or jogging? 

Offline MarcG469

• View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
I used to be able to train aerobically but after the injury to my foot I can't run for a while... Does anyone know any good ways to get some aerobics with out running or jogging? 

cycling! I have bum knees and cycling is all i can do.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
After two back surgeries I don't do much, but I am not a racer. I used to be into power lifting and it's how I hurt my back in the first place. But I am so limited as to what I can do it's not even funny.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
High Intensity intervals are great on anything, MX bike, bicycle, elliptical, treadmill, etc. - you can get a better workout in less than half the time of steady-state endurance training.  I don't have a strict regiment, I do whatever I feel like when I get to the gym.  If my legs are sore, I work my upper body.  I also like more "functional" type exercises like squat-thrusts (burpees) and Olympic-style weight lifting over single muscle group exercises like bench presses or curls, and plyometrics are killer for quick burst strength and making your lungs burn.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »
Sit on the couch and ask the wife "Pull my finger"   ;D :o
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »
Mines similar, but I tell her to get me a beer first  :D :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
Walking does pretty much the same thing as running and it is less impact. The idea is just to get your heart rate up and keep it up for an extended period. You'd be surprised how much you burn beginning your day after a 45 minute walk.

If you have a high-stress life, the walk is probably better for you anyhow. If you are a tweeking, short attention span, twenty-something, the bordom might kill you.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Kembo693

• Junior
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
Mines similar, but I tell her to get me a beer first  :D :D

Both of those sound professional! I guess I gotta try those someday! There's nothing like the good ole' pull my finger trick.

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
How do you train?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
Strength training almost exclusively. Then again, I don't race so much as just ride for fun.