Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Harley Davidson MX bike finishes race!  (Read 4641 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Harley Davidson MX bike finishes race!
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »
The mighty HD team is back to mx!  8)

Motocross on a street-legal Harley?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Harley Davidson MX bike finishes race!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a four-stroke bike, that's definitely the marque I'd choose.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »
Now that takes some Balls!!!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline AFG

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
As we speak the AMA is drawing up new rules to allow the FLRDTSWWMXR-1200 AF to complete on a level playing field with all the w/c 4 strokes( I heard they signed Bubba). Supercross should be fun.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »
I heard the AMA is requiring ALL supercross bikes to be push-rod OHV designs.  Word on the street is the Big Four are pissed because they can't use their overhead cams anymore.  A start-up company is making a two-stroke diesel bike to compete under these new rules.  Boss Hoss are putting a blown Chevy 454 in a "slightly modified" Suzuki chassis to compete.

Should be an interesting season.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »
Cool vid, I liked the old school HD dirt trackers from the 70's. I believe they were 2-strokes. That's until KR came along on a TZ700 and killed everyone!  :) Hey guys, can't forget about the TZ750 in a YZ450 frame, I would like to see that in supercross.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
That would be crazy, though I'd probably want to see it as a dual sport first.  That's a lot of power for those little SX tracks.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:12:05 AM »
Guys you realize that this is a joke.... right??? :o

Harley did sell a line of two strokes in the 1970's (I got to ride a a 100cc trail bike back then) they were Italian made by a company called Aermacchi. They were fun little trail bikes and Harley used to run an ad about there bike winning some Baja race... don't remember which one though.

Then in the late 1970's they worked on a Motocross project and built a purpose built MX 250. One of their riders was Rex Staten, known for being extremely tough on race bikes. And for just being a very tough guy in general. Here's a photo of that bike.

I don't think they ever used two strokes in Professional Dirt Track. That was the domain of the 700cc V-twin four-strokes. The AMA loved those bikes and made it difficult for the other manufacturers to compete (sound familiar?)

The TZ700 that Kenny Roberts raced was a one-off machine. As I recall the story he raced it exactly once!! Saying that it was too difficult for a human to race. If you look on You Tube, there is a video of Kenny riding the bike very recently. That is one amazing sounding machine!!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline AFG

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
Joke? Oh man, say it ain't so. I just went to my local HD dealership to ask about the 2010. They  said there was some trouble with the super boobanium supply needed to create the new seven valve pushrod heads. It seems some sanctioning body has aquired all the S/B available, they are currently holding back supplies until it can be determined how to "level the playing field", as this gives HD a clear advantage. So production will be delayed until a replacement can be found. The plot thickens!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:44:51 AM »
Well of course it's a joke.  That's why all the posts have been oozing with sarcasm. :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?