Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: nikasil or sleeve? which ones better?  (Read 12561 times)

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: nikasil or sleeve? which ones better?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »
We've all heard all the reasons for years about how plating was so much better but the fact remains that this company have fitted a helluva lot of liners to modern bikes and there's been no problems and that's difficult to dispute. Theory is fine but I'll go on practical experience (if available) every time.
Again, hard to argue with!

I'll give you practical experience EVERY time someone uses an iron liner in a cylinder designed for Nikasil they ping their heads off when they get hot. The last poor sod that told me about his WR 250 that had been abused is such a fashion, he was shattered to find out that his cylinder could be welded machined and replated for 2/3rds the cost of a resleeve.
You can also Nikasil over cast iron liner when you are on max piston size.
Show me the 50 odd HP 125 GP or 110HP 250 GP engine that uses cast iron liners ::)
 Fixed gear 100cc kart engines are not anything special, an old KT100s engine will go near that, step up to Rotax Max,ICC or Superkarts and you will see the difference between cast and nikasil.
I take old iron liners out and replace them with plated aluminium liners, they handle higher compression ratio's and a cylinder head temp gauge proves they handle heat for longer. Practical enough for you?

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: nikasil or sleeve? which ones better?
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
Well if I ever experience any of the difficulties with iron liners that seem to have beset your endeavours then obviously I would be silly not to have a re-think.

But until then, as I have had no difficulties with them, and especially given the cost issue which definately lies in the favour of the liner at UK prices, I'll continue as before.

But thanks for relating your own personal experiences.