Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Monster Cup Rules.  (Read 5454 times)

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
Monster Cup Rules.
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/10/04/ama-implements-supplemental-rules-for-mec

Big bore two strokes are in!

Also, check out the comment(s) I made.. Fact.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Monster Cup Rules.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
I really hope someone can get a 500AF out there, or even a Maico 700. :)

AMA implements open supplemental rules package for Monster Energy Cup
October 04, 2011

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has issued an open supplemental rules package for the Monster Energy Cup. The Oct. 15 race at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev., which features a potential $1 million payout, will allow a wide range of unrestricted motorcycle configurations.

The elimination of nearly all technical restrictions, with the exception of sound and fuel regulations, will allow riders and teams the opportunity to develop and test new technology during race conditions without being restricted by the current AMA Supercross rulebook. Teams will have the opportunity to employ components such as in-helmet communication, traction control, GPS and more. All of the rules that pertain to safety and operations will remain in place.

AMA Director of Supercross Kevin Crowther said that the open rules approach is possible due to the nature of a distinct stand-alone event versus a national championship.

"As a singular competition event, the Monster Energy Cup gives us more freedom to think outside the box and try some innovative concepts that might not always be practical for a national championship," Crowther said. "Considering this freedom of the rules package and the amount of money on the line, the Monster Energy Cup will be one of racing's must-attend events this year."

Crowther added that, while the actual supplemental rules package is available online at AMASupercross.com, the basics are simple.

"No homologation is necessary, and the engine displacement must be at least 125cc. Beyond that, nearly anything goes -- two-stroke, four-stroke, singles, twins. Weight restrictions are gone. Large-displacement two strokes are welcome," he said. "We are also implementing new sound-testing procedures. We will be using the new 2-Meter Max sound-testing method that will be implemented for the 2012 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship."

The track will consist of Supercross and motocross terrain, and the motocross-style influence will be unmistakeable, making it unlike any other stadium race in the world. The hybrid track will be a perfect blend of styles and serve as the ultimate battleground for today's top professional racers.

The Monster Energy Cup posts a $250,000 purse, awarding the winner a $100,000 check, and $1 million will be paid to a rider who wins all three main events.

Tickets for the 2011 Monster Energy Cup can be purchased at the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office, UNLVtickets outlets, online at www.UNLVtickets.com, www.MonsterEnergyCup.com or by phone at (702) 739-FANS. Tickets will be available at the Sam Boyd Stadium Box Office on the day of the event only.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/News/11-10-04/AMA_implements_open_supplemental_rules_package_for_Monster_Energy_Cup.aspx

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
I would love to see a 200 two stroke twin or something out of the bowels of some All-Japan MX works bike factory just kill it out there. I'm sure something cool (i.e. 2-stroke) will show up, but the winners of the race will be Factory bikes with perhaps a "works" frame geometry, or other subtle changes.  With a $1M on the line, its doubtful that any rider/team will risk much. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »
sadly, i don't think anything wild will be there, except maybe a couple privateers trying to make it in on YZ250s.  maybe a KTM250sx will show up.

one-off stuff is big money and i dont see anyone throwing huge money at a bike for one off-season race. 

if someone shows up on a 500AF, i will print this page out, and eat it with a dash of salt, you have my word.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
sadly, i don't think anything wild will be there, except maybe a couple privateers trying to make it in on YZ250s.  maybe a KTM250sx will show up.

one-off stuff is big money and i dont see anyone throwing huge money at a bike for one off-season race. 

if someone shows up on a 500AF, i will print this page out, and eat it with a dash of salt, you have my word.
I reckon ya mite be right, i cant see anything  out of the ordinary there as much as i would like to :-)
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:50 AM »
jgr is going to use in-helmet comm.  everyone is going to use traction control and data loggers.

thatll be about it, im thinking. 

im just watching it to see how Barcia will run off the track.  i love watching that goon ride.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:06:02 AM »
I was going to post the AMA statement as found in the American motorcyclist magazine but Charles beat me to it! I have to agree that although much is left open, I doubt you'll see titanium framed, ultra-trick bikes as the lead time is just too short and cost to develope and train with for one race isn't worth it.

I would like to see the scales though...just for informational purposes. We already know the teams are ballasting the bikes to bring them up to AMA/FIM regulations. Since these are out the window, it will be interesting to see just how light they can get. Husqvarna had a 168 lb 250 in '74 (I think) with a Pro-fab Titanium frame. It will also be interesting to note how many broken bikes at the end due to lifting of the minimum weight rules.

As cool as the 500AF is, I'm pretty sure it won't be competitive. This will be more like SX and the Open class bikes NEVER turned as fast of lap times as the 250's in SX. Maybe a 260 or 300 would be more appropriate and we might see some 'big bore' motors since there is no restriction.

My money is just on a competent rider on a well developed machine. A Pro Circuit Kawasaki or a DeCoster Suzuki. Probably a 450F due to the larger track layout.

Of course, I'll hate it if I am right...
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
I think the fuel rules are going to handicap the 2 strokes though....

Offline Mountain Goat

• Braap! Braap! Braaaaaap!
  • Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:18 PM »
McGrath and Carmichael supposedly helped design the track, and it's somewhat more "outdoorish" than the normal SX track.  It goes onto the parking lot and up into the stands.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMCH7f8fE0&feature=player_embedded
1997 RM250
2008 RM250
2008 KTM Super Duke R

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
The down hill double coming down the stadium looks like it can be over jumped easy. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:20 PM »
ill be happy if the bowl turns are really that massive.  they never bring enough dirt for proper turns lately.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
Can anyone confirm the "fuel rule"?

From what I understand with 2 strokes running less compression any restrictions on fuel quality should hamper the hi tech 4 stroke grenades much more.
I can only see this as an advantage for 2 strokes if the fuel octane rating was controlled.

Offline Huffieva

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »

From what I understand with 2 strokes running less compression any restrictions on fuel quality should hamper the hi tech 4 stroke grenades much more.
I can only see this as an advantage for 2 strokes if the fuel octane rating was controlled.

Its the "no lead" clause, not the octane that creates a small disadvantage for the smokers

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »

Its the "no lead" clause, not the octane that creates a small disadvantage for the smokers

Damn, can you still actually get leaded fuel in the U.S?
Lol, I just assumed that has been unavailable everywhere for about 10 years.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »
yep, sunoco 110 runs about 9 bucks a gal. VP c12 in a can 65-70 for 5gal. Race fuel is plentiful and cheap. beats the 5 gal cans of vp roo going for what, 195?