Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: HGT Fuel Injection kit on our YZ 144 Project.  (Read 20637 times)

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
HGT Fuel Injection kit on our YZ 144 Project.
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
Hey guys, just an update.

The 144 motor will arrive in Colorado at HGT for the FI kit tomorrow.
As soon as we get it back we will be doing a test article on it.
We will be covering everythig from test/tune, installation, software, weight comparrison between carbed/FI. We will have a few guys with different styles and skill levels testing it out, on tracks and trails.
We will include different elevations and weather variations.
Let me know any specifics you guys want put to the test.
:)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:56:07 AM by Charles Owens »

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: HGT Fuel Injection kit on our YZ 144 Project.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
Water! How does it work under water? You know; stream crossings, extended heavy rain and mud, car washes. I think everyones biggest concerns with all FI is with the electronics. The 3 worst things for electronics are water, dust, and vibration. Pretty much sums up an off-road motorcycle!
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Mud/water is my favorite place to ride, I have several stream crossings and marshy areas I'll bury it in :)
This will be a thorough test, as any new product should receive. :)
We will have 3 or 4 riders testing it on MX/SX and Arenacross tracks. Trails, hill climbs, and flat field top speed runs included.

Offline jmccoy41

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Emissions.  Does it help cut down on smoke, carbon monoxide, etc.?

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Charles, how much fuel pressure does that kit require to run? Is there some kind of inline fuel pump?
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline falston1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
Fuel pump is between the regulator and the zipties in the middle. I want to know if you'll have to reprogram it seasonally for the crazy temperature differences around here. A carb is petty easy to adjust, and four strokes usually run richer than they need to be with FI to be safe not to burn through a piston. Cuts down on power, but less failures for warranty to deal with. Two strokes like to have the mix pretty close to perfect for good response and top-end, especially on a smaller displacement. This all is fixed with more money/intelligence invested into the algorithms and quality software. So I'd like to hear about the company that manufactures the system, too. The power should be increased over a stock carb, but not too much of an increase vs. a professionally built carb because it is a tbi(the same principle as a carb). This is because of the precision involved with FI. Low end torque should only be effected by the CFM difference. Lower CFM means higher torque in the lower rpm range. High CFM gives the same amount of torque in a higher rpm. People that say it'll flatten out the power band may be pretty disappointed because those early FI tests that showed this were with Mechanical Fuel Injection. There is no change in the amount of fuel through the Rpm range with MFI so it runs rich at low rpms and lean at high rpms leading to a flat power band. I can't wait to see the results on the bike, though! Cool idea to try it on the 144 instead of the 296 (If i remember right) or a bigger bike. Hope it goes well!  :)
06 yz 250, 98 rm 125.......UNC Charlotte!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
I'd be interested in all details and info from installation to seat of the pants observations before/after the install as well as price and weight difference.Sweet 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:52:28 PM »
Torque/horsepower chart comparison. ;D

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
with all the user friendly software out today, EFI is easier to tune than a carb. no needles, no jets, no plug readings. just a fuel map on a laptop screen, and when youre finished you hit "upload".  then you stick the o2 sensor in the silencer, rip a dyno run, and check the Air fuel ratio. adjust as needed.  no more "its rich, its lean" its is now "it 12:1, its 13:1 ect ect." absolutes. no guesswork. no disassembly needed to change air fuels.

this isnt voodoo. 500cc grandprix bikes were running EFI in the mid 90s.

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
How easy is it to take off and put the carb back on?

Do we need to update any software to run the carb after removing the FI system?
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline falston1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
Yeah, but with experience you can adjust a carb by ear. You don't have to rejet a carb to tune it. Turn the float set screw. All you need is a small screw driver. That's easier than reprogramming an EFI system even if it only means plugging the laptop up for a few minutes. For a high performance bike, everything has to be right. If it is 85 degrees one day for practice, and it rains overnight and cools to 60 degrees for the race, that bike has to be richened up quite a bit to avoid burning through a piston. The pros reprogram their EFI before every race. There's no absolute air/fuel ratio. Just shared opinions on what's best. You have to know what you want as far as bike characteristics and test 'til you find it. Remember, this is not an out-of-the-box deal. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm pretty excited to see how she does!  :)
06 yz 250, 98 rm 125.......UNC Charlotte!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
this isnt voodoo. 500cc grandprix bikes were running EFI in the mid 90s.
Really? Are you sure about that? The only 2 injected 500's that were ever reported to have ever ran was Shinichi Ito's NSR500 in 95(bloody hell he's riding this weekend too :D) or so at Hockenhiem and Cagiva made one that Carl Fogarty rode once and described as "a peaky unrideable piece of shit" when it was mothballed along with the carbon fibre frame.
KTM FRR125 had an injector in the crankcase to prevent seizures on over run.
Unless all those magazine I have here are wrong?

How you going to get 12v to run the pump?

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
im really excited about this.....i will be checking back neurotically for more!
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline Mountain Goat

• Braap! Braap! Braaaaaap!
  • Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
Don't forget that you're getting what is essentially version 1 of this product(for moto).  Don't expect it to be perfect right out of the box.
1997 RM250
2008 RM250
2008 KTM Super Duke R

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
That was grouchy and wrong that I said that about cutting the thing off the engine... 

But I'm very tired of crap being forced into the simple pleasure of riding by companies out to market garbage, and enviro-hippies who would be equally excited over an EFI two stroke that worked almost as well as a normally aspirated one, as long as you were willing to compromise... and a veggie based tire that worked almost as well as a real tire... as long as you were willing to compromise.....

It's WAY more complicated and there's no doubt about that. If that makes a differenct in performance that approximates the addittional complexity, then maybe it's worth it.

But, if all it does is change the character of the bikes emissions, I don't care about it and to me it isn't worth all the babysitting. At that point it's like it's the same bike for the rider, just carrying more mass and more potential problems. For the earthshoes treading softly along on their way to Bonaroo... it's exciting. But I don't care about that.

What is the main agenda? Is EFI being pushed as a performance enhancment? Because on 2strokes, it's obviously fallen flat on it's face a few times. Is it mainly something to improve the bikes from a green standpoint? What is the real deal? 
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..