Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: new toy...  (Read 4075 times)

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
new toy...
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
Picked up this POS yesterday

Thinking about cleaning it up and putting this motor in it...

Maybe? Otherwise it's a part out. I'd consider fixing it to ride or sell, but the engine cases are scrap, cylinder and crank are shot, etc. Frame seems to be in decent shape, swingarm / linkage / wheel bearings seem good. Going to start tearing it down this week and see what I've got to work with.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: new toy...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »
Is it a 98' ?
Nice find.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
bought it as a 96, but I haven't run the vin yet.

*edit

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:29:51 PM by juliend »

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
That's where I know that username from, KDX rider.

Nice score. Should make a nice hybrid.
Ontario, Canada

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
Cool, good luck.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
new toy...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
Picked up this POS yesterday

Thinking about cleaning it up and putting this motor in it...

Maybe? Otherwise it's a part out. I'd consider fixing it to ride or sell, but the engine cases are scrap, cylinder and crank are shot, etc. Frame seems to be in decent shape, swingarm / linkage / wheel bearings seem good. Going to start tearing it down this week and see what I've got to work with.

juliend that KX you got would be an excellent bike if you put the KX-500 engine in it! It would also be a lot of fun building a hybrid KX-500 in the MX frame however I really liked the KDX with the KX-500 engine in it! I guess it all depends on what you want? A very powerful old school KX-500 motocross bike would be awesome to say the least! Yet the KDX with a KX-500 engine is very sweet also! I guess since I'm just a old school offroad rider myself I really loved the KDX with the beastly 500cc 2-stroke in it! Although neither bike is mine &  I have no control over what you choose to do with the KX or KDX if I owned both bikes I think I would focus most of my attention on the KDX & sell any good parts off of the KX & invest the funds in the KDX to make it a better bike than it already is (I'm sure!). I would really love to own a KDX like the 1 you have & I believe I would install a steahly flywheel weight if it does'nt already have one on it & I noticed it has a trials tire on the rear & of course a larger stock fuel tank for a longer ride. I just think that your KDX-500 is already an awesome hybrid bike in and of itself but like I quoted earlier "it all depends on what you want"and if you prefer a KX-500 engine in a modern frame then that's what I would certainly do! Good luck juliend on whatever you decide to do with your bikes! I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best for you & that's what really counts.... ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
new toy...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
The KDX has it's original 200cc motor in place. While I imagine a kx5 engine in the 125 would indeed be off the hook, I'm not sure how difficult the transplant would be. Putting a 200cc engine into the 125 is pretty easy. I have decided against tearing down my KDX, and am going to keep my eye out for an H series KDX donor bike. I have too much time and money invested in the KDX to feel good about using the motor and parting out the rest. The H series engine will be a bit easier to work with. Head stay in the right place, pipe fitment will be easier, etc.. 

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
new toy...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
 :)
The KDX has it's original 200cc motor in place. While I imagine a kx5 engine in the 125 would indeed be off the hook, I'm not sure how difficult the transplant would be. Putting a 200cc engine into the 125 is pretty easy. I have decided against tearing down my KDX, and am going to keep my eye out for an H series KDX donor bike. I have too much time and money invested in the KDX to feel good about using the motor and parting out the rest. The H series engine will be a bit easier to work with. Head stay in the right place, pipe fitment will be easier, etc.. 

Sounds to me like you made the right decision imho! Good luck locating a H series KDX.I'm sure it won't be too hard to find one,at least I hope not for your sake! PS I'll check around myself & let you know if I find a decent deal on one.

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
new toy...
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:37:28 AM »
I'm not in any hurry. I watch craigslist and such. Something will turn up at some point. :).