Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Clutch kit and basket for 02 RM 250  (Read 2503 times)

Offline charlieofak

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch kit and basket for 02 RM 250
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
I need a new clutch basket for my RM (notched pretty good and very herky/jerky at take off)and I figured I'd do a clutch kit (plates and springs) as well. Anybody have a suggestion for a good aftermarket set? Like I saw in an earlier post, I was thinking about the Barnett stuff, but am open to anything that has a history of good performance. Would be a major bonus if the clutch was easier to pull as well. Thanks for the help.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch kit and basket for 02 RM 250
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
Any of the 'Name' brands of clutch companies will do.
Spend what your budget allows.
My RM had a stiff clutch pull as well. Not sure if there is a fix or not.
Someone here should know.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
Barnett Dirt Digger clutch kits will provide you a couple types of springs.  The stiff ones naturally provide better clamping force, but make the pull stiffer.  An 02 RM should have a pretty easy clutch pull to begin with so if yours is stiff you may want to check the condition of the cable and replace it also.

I would suggest the Barnett DD clutch with light duty springs.  Any billet basket will light years better than the stock junk.  I think Moose is competitively priced.  The inner hub plays a big part to, if yours is munched up, consider a new stock OEM inner hub because a good billet one will be about $250.  I think you can get a new OEM one for like $60.  Add in a new cable, make sure your perch isn't munsoned up and you should be golden.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline oldermxr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
The EBC clutch's are good I been useing them for years with no problems and they are actually made by Barrnet

Offline rm250guy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:48:49 AM »
I would also recommend you install a motion pro clutch perch/lever.  It is a little pricey at just over $100 but it really helps the action, adjusts easily while riding and extends overall clutch life tremendously over the stocker.  I am a total clutch abuser and have been running these on my many RMs over the years.